Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Ran Out Of Gas On The Highway...

by Rollah, July 20, 2006

Hello all,

I did something incredibly stupid today. I meant to fill up the tank on the way to work this morning but totally spaced out, and drove all the way to work and about 2/3 of the way home on empty without remembering to buy gas until the car finally sputtered to a stop. While I am amazed that I was able to drive about 90-100 miles after the gas light turned on, I am concerned that I may have damaged my fuel pump. Should I be concerned?

I would make sure not to run it down again - but for being the first time, you are probably OK.

All the more reason to fill it when it gets to 1/4 of a tank

Not a good idea. Anyways, I'm sure you'll have the answer to your question one way or another.

Bikeman982

If you put gas in it and were able to drive it after that, then the fuel pump did not burn out and is working for you. Too much time operating without fuel and eventually it will burn out and become inoperative.

I think you are safe this time as Fish said. In the manual for 9th gen corolla its written that when only 1/2 gallon fuel is left in the car, it will give a warning sound and then stop to prevent damage to the engine..

Thanks for the replies... I'm definitely going to pay more attention tot he gas gauge from now on.

Thanks for the replies... I'm definitely going to pay more attention tot he gas gauge from now on.

don't worry about the fuel pump, I had a civic years ago, ran out many times,

no damage to fuel pump.

The damage could occur if you leave the ignition on while the car is starved

for fuel.

Just turn off your ignition when you run out next time.

Bikeman982

The point is to not operate the fuel pump when you run out to avoid damaging it.

Topic List