Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Any Nascar Fans?

By muzak, July 16, 2006

Just wondering if any Nascar fans out there?

Max

Ick. default_tongue

I Dont blame anyone who isn't! I watched today's race and timed the commercials which equaled approximately 145 laps out of 300 which is almost %50! I've been a devoted fan for many years but am getting sick of the commercials especially after watching almost all the World Cup games without ZERO commercials during play time..even in the final.

• 1,424 posts

I love car racing, but don't care for Nascar. I enjoy nothing more than going to Mid-Ohio and watching the races. Nascar races (the ones I've watched) don't have the elegance or excitment I'm going for. At Mid-Ohio, they race real cars, sure they are cars people have modified, but they are still Firebirds, Porsche 911s, or sport compacts. It isn't just the driver in these races it's the car as well. The course is beautiful, it's a road course, surrounded by trees and nature. The course has a simple elegance about it, what can I say?

NASCAR racing is all about driver skill and luck, the cars don't have anything to do with it. Besides, they aren't real. What they race as a Taurus is a RWD V8, door-less car that only resembles the FWD V6 4 door car you can buy at your local Ford stealership. The courses are boring ovals that you could drive on with your eyes closed if it werent for the other cars. I mean, count to 15 seconds, turn left for 10 seconds, re-center the wheel, count for 15 seconds again and then turn left for 10 seconds. Boring to me.

To me Mid-Ohio type racing is exciting, it isn't just about speed, it's about holding a road course, it's about knowing your car's physics, it's about racing the machine you build during the other 3 weekends a month. Nascar bores me because it's only about speed, and most of the drivers aren't wrenching on their cars when they're not driving.

I'm of the midset that the most fun cars to drive aren't the ones that go so fast that they push you into the backseat. The most fun ones are the ones that can take the tightest curves and hairpins at a high rate of speed while staying in the right lane. I would happily drive a car with a 110 MPH top speed that took 7 seconds to go from 0-60 MPH but could pull .98G on the skidpad and could take my favorite backroads at 40 MPH higher than the suggested speedlimit for the curves over a 170 MPH top speed car that took 5.5 seconds to go from 0-60 MPH and only pulled .87G on the skidpad and wouldn't allow me to drive more than 20 MPH over the suggested speed limit on my favorite backroads.

I live in Dover, Delaware, home of the Dover Downs "Monster Mile" NASCAR track. Twice a year, in June and September, the city is overtaken by the rowdy, raucus bunch of inebriated, inbred, moronic cretins who are the cream of NASCAR fandom. I took a bike ride through their ad hoc encampment, which extends for blocks in each direction of the track, and was not particularly impressed with their behavior. Just imagine the worst of anti-social acting out, add an overall average BAC of probably around 0.15, and you get an idea.

So, no, I'm not a NASCAR fan. I'm an Indy car fan, recently re-invigorated in my interest by the addition of Danica Patrick to the field. So, until NASCAR gets a young, pretty, bullet-fast girl racer in there, preferably driving one of the NASCAR ersatz-Camrys, all it will be to me is a semi-annual inconvenience.

So, no, I'm not a NASCAR fan. I'm an Indy car fan, recently re-invigorated in my interest by the addition of Danica Patrick to the field. So, until NASCAR gets a young, pretty, bullet-fast girl racer in there, preferably driving one of the NASCAR ersatz-Camrys, all it will be to me is a semi-annual inconvenience.

Well...from what everyone is saying, including Danica herself, NASCAR may only need to wait until next season to have young, pretty, bullet-fast girl racer named...you guessed it...Danica Patrick. I think it would be interesting and a good marketing move for both NASCAR and Danica. Unless Rahal-Letterman racing gets with the times and changes frames they'll never be the best...just somewhere in the middle. If Patrick goes to a NASCAR team with some open wheels experience I think she'll do great. She'll need someone who can help her translate that open wheel experience into stock car knowledge.

<troll>

Stock cars? Gimme a break. There's nothing 'stock' about these cars since the early 1970's..not a single bolt remains. If they truely were stock..maybe... These races used to be taglined by dealers as "race on Sunday, Sell on Monday"..Hmmm

</troll>

<troll>Stock cars? Gimme a break. There's nothing 'stock' about these cars since the early 1970's..not a single bolt remains. If they truely were stock..maybe... These races used to be taglined by dealers as "race on Sunday, Sell on Monday"..Hmmm

</troll>

I agree...nothing is stock about them except the name of the car, but that's what they call them.... it's not like I came up with the name.

P.S.

Racecar is racecar spelled backwards....

Danica Patrick going to NASCAR would be a license to print money!

Bikeman982

I would rather watch the "Tour de France".

I'd enjoy watching the Tour de France a lot more if they were all young, pretty girl bike racers, wearing those nice tight speedo-things with low-cut tank tops! And none of these pencil-bodied shapeless women athletes -- they need to be selected for the race based primarily on their "bounce" with each pedal stroke! And to keep them cool on those long, uphill mountain climbs, they should be dowsed with a bucket of cool water quite frequently!

Or maybe I should!

• 1,424 posts

I'd enjoy watching the Tour de France a lot more if they were all young, pretty girl bike racers, wearing those nice tight speedo-things with low-cut tank tops! And none of these pencil-bodied shapeless women athletes -- they need to be selected for the race based primarily on their "bounce" with each pedal stroke! And to keep them cool on those long, uphill mountain climbs, they should be dowsed with a bucket of cool water quite frequently!

Or maybe I should!

Come on Larry, keep it clean default_biggrin

J/K

For any new members who may be reading this post, meet Larry Roll. He's our local funny man, whenever a post gets boring, you can count on him to spice it up a little. Seriously though, he's quite knowledgeable about the cars, and you should seriously consider any adivce he gives.

Bikeman982

Or maybe I should!

Sounds like a dirty old man! We never say it - but of course you are free to think whatever you want. No thought police out there - yet.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else