Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Deceased Corollas

by muzak, July 16, 2006

Since buying my car last year I haven't been able to come across any parts I need from the yards here in Ontario. The newest Corolla my local scrapyard (which is huge) has is a 2000. They don't tell me anything at the local Toyota dealer, but I'm thinking they must go somewhere special.

i think that not many end up crashed and by the time they die of old age theres nothing left for the junkyard worth paying for.

I have discovered that here down under with my late model corollas.

Cars end up in a scrap yard when they are worn out or extensively damaged. On the worn out front, most newer cars are covered by warranty and/or don't have any issues, large mechanical malfunctions are either nonexistant or taken care of. On out of warranty vehicles, the vehicle's value means large repairs are worth paying for - If I had a $12k vehicle and needed $4k worth of repairs it'd be worth it. However, a $3k vehicle needing the same $4k repair wouldn't be worth it. In addition, the old car is much more likely to need the large repair. Hence there are more older cars at the junk yard.

In terms of accident damage, when a newer car is crashed the damage usually doesn't exceed the amount of the vehicle. On a $12k car, if the damage is $11k or less, typically the car isn't written off. OTOH, the $3k vehicle only needs about $2500 worth of damage to become written off, hence older vehicles are much more likely to be written off. In OZ, written off vehicles go to auctions, where parts recyclers buy them. Hence, few new vehicles wind up in junk yards...

Extensively damaged cars are often rebuilt and then sold by unscrupulous used car dealers - the guys on the corner lots with the bright red sports Jackets.

The rebuilt cars are rife with problems - most importantly safety problems. The crash zones and other devices have been compromised and may not work right if there is a second accident. There is also the mechanical problems. We have all had the experience of taking something apart and when we put it back together it isn't quite the same. This goes for cars too.

The moral of the story: only buy a used car from a reputable dealership.

In australia, the law is once a car is written off, it MUST be auctioned off as a damaged vehicle. As part of the insurance payout, the insurer must notify the RTA (in NSW), who can then add this information to the registration database. A licenced motor dealer in NSW must not sell vehicles that are written off, finincially encumbered and/or stolen. When one buys from a dealer in NSW, there is a 'garrantee of title'. If the vehicle turns out to be rebirthed, written off, is encumbered etc. the dealer must, by law, refund your money.

The only people who have problems in this area are people who buy cars privately and do not get a REVs certificate. A REVs certificate is also like a garrantee of title, though not legally binding. A Revs certificate will tell you if a car has been written off etc.

Bikeman982

I always thought there was a conspiracy to keep newer cars out of junkyards, so us backyard mechanics didn't have access to the parts we need. Too much competition for the dealers and the auto parts places.

Everyone knows that deceased Corollas go to Heaven, where they wait to be re-united with their former owners. Then, they will both be happily driving around Heaven for eternity, getting great gas mileage, and giving totally reliable performance!

Everyone knows that deceased Corollas go to Heaven, where they wait to be re-united with their former owners. Then, they will both be happily driving around Heaven for eternity, getting great gas mileage, and giving totally reliable performance!

Thanks for this wonderful thought, Larry Roll! I wish I could see my 1982 Corolla again. default_smile

Max

I hope my old Celicas are in heaven, too.

Yes, well in a Judeo-Christian sense they might go to heaven.... but what of corollas of other religous persuasions???

In Eastern Religions (Buddhism and Hinduism) a corolla that has proven itself as reliable, economical and a joy to drive may come back as a brand new Lexus or even... a Ferrari! However watch out you corollas who are piles of crap - you are coming back as a lada....

In Islam, if a corolla has enhanced the wellbeing of other corollas by sacrificing itself by t-boning a domestic SUV, it will go to paradise and be greeted by 71 brand new pastel pink yaris's. gas is $1 a gallon and there is no radar default_smile

Max

Brilliant, c! default_tongue

No wonder I have to fight the steering wheel each time a Ford Expedition passes by! Maybe I should name my Corolla "Mustafa al-Toyota!"

Bikeman982

I think mine will be buried in a large casket next to mine.

Everything I say is in good fun, please don't kill me. default_tongue

Yes, well in a Judeo-Christian sense they might go to heaven.... but what of corollas of other religous persuasions???

In Eastern Religions (Buddhism and Hinduism) a corolla that has proven itself as reliable, economical and a joy to drive may come back as a brand new Lexus or even... a Ferrari! However watch out you corollas who are piles of crap - you are coming back as a lada....

In Islam, if a corolla has enhanced the wellbeing of other corollas by sacrificing itself by t-boning a domestic SUV, it will go to paradise and be greeted by 71 brand new pastel pink yaris's. gas is $1 a gallon and there is no radar default_smile

Hahahaha default_laugh very nice!

In Shintoism, Corollas concentrate on finding happiness with their drivers while in service. They couldn't care less about what happens after they are totalled, written off, scrapped, or whatever.

In Taoism, Corollas can last forever and not die through meticulous maintenance.

In the name of the TMMC, and of the Corolla, and of the holy 1ZZ-FE, amen.

Don't you mean "I think mine will be used as a large casket to bury me"? default_biggrin

Bikeman982

Everything I say is in good fun, please don't kill me. default_tongue

Hahahaha default_laugh very nice!

In Shintoism, Corollas concentrate on finding happiness with their drivers while in service. They couldn't care less about what happens after they are totalled, written off, scrapped, or whatever.

In Taoism, Corollas can last forever and not die through meticulous maintenance.

In the name of the TMMC, and of the Corolla, and of the holy 1ZZ-FE, amen.

Don't you mean "I think mine will be used as a large casket to bury me"? default_biggrin

I want us to die at different times (I plan to outlive mine) and then have it planted in the ground beside my gravesight. That way we can be close for all eternity.

I want us to die at different times (I plan to outlive mine) and then have it planted in the ground beside my gravesight. That way we can be close for all eternity.

True, but can't we have it both ways? In all likelihood our Corollas will die before we do. Have arrangements made to mod it into a coffin, then have it sit and wait. (Or better yet, sell it to another dying Corolla enthusiast for a profit. default_cool ) Then make a will saying that I want to be buried in that Corolla, or, in the rare case that if I die before my Corolla does, mod it into a coffin and bury me in it.

I have digressed. This is getting too macabre... default_tongue

I recall seeing a 'mythbusters' episode where they leave 2 pigs to ripen up in a sealed corvette. It wasn't pretty. No, I have seen what happens to a human cadaver as it breaks down; I do not want to become worm food. I'm getting cremated, don't know where to put my ashes, though...

I recall seeing a 'mythbusters' episode where they leave 2 pigs to ripen up in a sealed corvette. It wasn't pretty.

OINK! How dare you! default_laugh

All I wanted to know when I posted this question was to find out where to get parts for my car. In searching around here in Southern Ontario..I can't even get a replacement lightbulb for some strange reason.

Max

Have you tried any online options?

I recall seeing a 'mythbusters' episode where they leave 2 pigs to ripen up in a sealed corvette. It wasn't pretty. No, I have seen what happens to a human cadaver as it breaks down; I do not want to become worm food. I'm getting cremated, don't know where to put my ashes, though...

I took a course on Vampires. Apparently in some small Slavic towns the belief of vampires actually existing are real.

The professor showed us some pics of a decomposing convict...really wasn't pretty, but you couldn't look away!!

Topic List