Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By tashirosgt, July 15, 2006

I like the so-called "hammered finish" spray paints by Rustoleum for painting miscellaneous hardware in the engine compartment and suspension. In books on car body work, I've seen pictures of irregular paint surfaces described as the error of "alligatoring". Is alligatoring a different effect that the "hammered finish"? Does alligatoring imply a rough surface? (The "hammered finish" is a fairly smooth surface.)

• 1,424 posts
I like the so-called "hammered finish" spray paints by Rustoleum for painting miscellaneous hardware in the engine compartment and suspension. In books on car body work, I've seen pictures of irregular paint surfaces described as the error of "alligatoring". Is alligatoring a different effect that the "hammered finish"? Does alligatoring imply a rough surface? (The "hammered finish" is a fairly smooth surface.)

Alligatoring or orange peel is not desireable for certain parts of the car. It isn't a rough surface, it just isn't as smooth as the hood or bumper. Highly similar to hammered finish, except orange peel is like a much finer hammered finish. However, Toyota does paint part of the body in orange peel (the rocker panels) because rougher surface paint is way more chip resistant. If you are just painting suspension parts and engine parts then hammered is fine, and I actually think it would look quite good.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else