Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Le Front Strut Replacement, Where To Buy?

by Utah02, July 3, 2006

The front passenger strut on my wifes LE has gone bad. Car only has around 50K odo. but it went bad. My wife is not hard on her car and I take care of all of our vehicles. I can't seem to find new struts. I would prefer the inserts since they are cheaper, but can't find any. Searched ebay and found one used set with 30k but don't want to go that route. I am assuming something must have been deffective. It seems to have gone pretty quick. All of a sudden we started getting wheel hop over large bumps on the passenger side and sure enough when I tested it with the car parked its weak and doesn't settle right away.

Other than that no complaints, its been a good car and is pretty comfortble but the seat doesn't go back quite far enough for me. Oh well, mileage best is 43mpg (its an auto) normal is 34-37 with mixed driving. Utah roads aren't the best but they aren't too bad. I guess the guy making the strut or the robot had a bad day.

Any recomendations as far as locating new struts (inserts preferable) would be great, just need oem ride, nothing fancy, from the search option I would prefer KYB since Monroe seems to not have the best reputation anymore, or if someone has upgraded with super low mileage units for sale I might consider.

Thanks guys,

Utah02 (02 is for my 76 bmw 2002)

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of struts out there for the 9th gen Corolla's yet. I have only found 3 choices -- stock, Monroe, and Koni adjustable. I am sure more are in the works out there but haven't seen any hit the market yet.

I am hoping Bilstien has struts for our cars before I need to replace mine. With the choices we have now it is gonna cost alot because I will probably go with the Koni for quality reasons.

Hmm. is the dealer the only location for stock/ oem struts? One thought is there any other toyota vehicles that they may share struts with. Assuming Matrix but I am curious as to other years or models that may use the same design as the 9th gen.

Thanks,

• 1,424 posts
Hmm. is the dealer the only location for stock/ oem struts? One thought is there any other toyota vehicles that they may share struts with. Assuming Matrix but I am curious as to other years or models that may use the same design as the 9th gen.

Thanks,

Honestly, I would just go to the dealer and buy the strut. Replacing just one strut with a different brand may prove problematic down the road. It would surly be less expensive to buy one OEM strut from the dealer than 4 aftermarket struts from KYB or Monroe.

I didn't know KYB had an aftermarket strut for the 9th gen corollas yet. I thought it was just our OEM strut at this time. I heard they were working on the GR2, or whatever it is called, but that it wasn't getting to market until this fall or later.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)