Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2004 Corolla Clock

by PAKate, June 27, 2006

My 2004 Toyota Corolla is having a problem with the digital clock and the light that lights up the gear box (you know P; R; N; D; 2; 3; L) They seem to go off and on at whim. What could be the problem do you think? Nothing else is wrong with it.

Thanks.

The lights go completely out or just dim down quite a bit?

Could be something with your "twilight sentinal system" or whatever Toyota calls it now. The system automatically kicks on the lights to full when you encounter a low light situation, there is a photocell under a black plastic dome on the top of your dash. Everytime mine kicks in - it dims the rest of the lights - depending on where your dimmer is set to, it may even look like the lights are completely off.

Sometimes they will dim,sometimes they won't come on at all when I start the car, but then they will come on a few minutes later, but then they will go completely out! Then they will come back on again! Then go out again. Sometime both the clock and the gear box light are out, sometimes only one at a time. All other lights on the Dashboard/Radio stay on.

My clock behaved like that too (2003 CE). Since I have a 5-speed, can't say if the tranny light is linked to the clock.

Clock was replaced by dealer on extended warranty. Part lists at $205 (Good Lord!) but can be obtained at a junkyard for a lot less.

Same symptoms. Would work for a while then dim out.

Hope it's something cheaper.

Would you please mind getting that clock fixed? Every time it stops, the whole world is standing still! It's getting hard to get anything done around here!

And who's that guy standing in the corner, wearing a dark suit with a skinny tie, smoking a cigarette, and talking to himself?

And what's this wierd music I'm hearing? DO DEE DO DOO DO DEE DOO DO???

Guest Topanga Don

My 2004 Toyota Corolla is having a problem with the digital clock and the light that lights up the gear box (you know P; R; N; D; 2; 3; L) They seem to go off and on at whim. What could be the problem do you think? Nothing else is wrong with it.

Thanks.

Did you find out what caused this and get it fixed?

I know this thread is old, but this maybe helpful for those with bad clocks and know how to use a soldering gun.

Hey thanks ! This is excatly waht is happeing to my 2005 tc!

E.

I know this thread is old, but this maybe helpful for those with bad clocks and know how to use a soldering gun.

Guest chascor

Thanks for the link to the video, it helped me greatly. I would just like to add that I have the Australian version of the 2004 Corolla Hatchback Auto. (ZZE 122R)

and it has a lever for the "fresh or recycled air" control instead of a button. Before removing the panel that houses the clock, the lever must be placed in

the mid position so that it doesn't snag on a small plastic retaining clip located behind and above the lever. I found out the hard way and sort of pulled it a bit too hard,

and the plastic tab was slightly damaged. It still works ok though.

The clock in my car is the LCD type, and the globe had blown. Just twist and turn to remove the globe holder from the clock, and pull out the globe.

I bought a replacement from Autobarn ($4 for two Narva globes. Hope they will be as long lasting as the Japanese ones). The globe is a "T5" type 1.2 watts.

The original globe had a green rubbery plastic sleeve which can be re-used on the new one. Don't try to pull the sleeve off from the top, instead "roll it back"

from the base of the globe (much like a condom!). And roll it on to the new globe.

When testing the new globe, turn on the ignition, as it doesn't come on with the parking lights. The clock light is on all the time while the ignition is on, not just at night.

Hope this helps.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)