Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

04 Corolla Serpentine Belt Replacement

by vurjt, June 12, 2006

When does Toyota recommend changing the serpentine belt?

I have 80k miles on an 04 Corolla LE with AC and AT. Belt looks great and occasionally squeals after driving in the rain for a while. Teflon spray takes care of the squeal.

Also, last fill up yielded 41.5 mpg.

Max

I can't remember right off hand when it's supposed to be replaced. Did you look at your owner's manual?

At the very least, change it when it needs it - if you notice checking, missing ribs, frayed edges, or excessive squealing - time to change it. Cracks running perpendicular to the longitidinal ribs are normal. Some owners get as little as 25K out of belt - some can go 100K or more on the same belt - depends on driving conditions, age, amout of ozone belt is subjected to, etc.

Belts are pretty cheap - if in doubt, change it and keep the old one in the trunk as a spare. Simple, under 30-minute job perfect for a DIY job with basic tools.

At the very least, change it when it needs it - if you notice checking, missing ribs, frayed edges, or excessive squealing - time to change it. Cracks running perpendicular to the longitidinal ribs are normal. Some owners get as little as 25K out of belt - some can go 100K or more on the same belt - depends on driving conditions, age, amout of ozone belt is subjected to, etc.

Belts are pretty cheap - if in doubt, change it and keep the old one in the trunk as a spare. Simple, under 30-minute job perfect for a DIY job with basic tools.

Thanks fishexpo101!

The OEM belt was $60 at a local dealership. Checked two dealers both priced the belt at $71 but one gave a 15% discount to beat the other so I got it for $60.

I drive all highway miles, 1.5 hour commute each way morning and evening.

Bikeman982

Thanks fishexpo101!

The OEM belt was $60 at a local dealership. Checked two dealers both priced the belt at $71 but one gave a 15% discount to beat the other so I got it for $60.

I drive all highway miles, 1.5 hour commute each way morning and evening.

It doesn't sound like the belt was cheap, unless that price also includes the labor for them to change it.

I check the belt every 10k miles or so. I usually change the serpentine belt at about 60k miles unless there is abnormal wear. Once I get my Gates belt on I have never had one show early wear on any vehicle I have owned.

That price from the dealer is too high. You should be able to pick up a Gates or Goodyear belt from an auto parts store for between $30 and $40.

I check the belt every 10k miles or so. I usually change the serpentine belt at about 60k miles unless there is abnormal wear. Once I get my Gates belt on I have never had one show early wear on any vehicle I have owned.

That price from the dealer is too high. You should be able to pick up a Gates or Goodyear belt from an auto parts store for between $30 and $40.

I mis-quoted the price. OEM Toyota belt was $25.64 including tax.

Had to replace serp belt on 2005 CE Corolla, because of extreme noise. I thought it was a bearing at first, but it was the belt. Only 36k miles.

Bikeman982

Had to replace serp belt on 2005 CE Corolla, because of extreme noise. I thought it was a bearing at first, but it was the belt. Only 36k miles.
You might have cured the noise with teflon spray and saved the belt for another 36K.

You might have cured the noise with teflon spray and saved the belt for another 36K.

Forgive my naive, what kind of teflon spray you use?

Brand?

Where you get it?

They label them as "belt dressings" - helps in some cases, but with the issues the 8th and 9th gen had with belts - I'd just go ahead and replace it versus a temp spray.

Bikeman982

Forgive my naive, what kind of teflon spray you use?

Brand?

Where you get it?

I have not used it myself, but have read where others have cured noise by spraying it on. It could also have been spray from other than automotive applications (such as for cooking). It is just a suggestion and the ideal solution is to determine the extent of wear on your belt and act accordingly. It could have become worn and hence, the cause for excessive noise - therefore it requires replacement. It also may have just needed some tension adjustment and that would be a simple fix. The teflon spray may have been able to cure the noise, or maybe it did need replacement.

I live in Arizona, so I would probably be changing mine more often (25k miles) due to the extreme heat and dryness. Last thing I need is a serpentine break in 110 degree heat out in the middle of nowhere.

Bikeman982

I live in Arizona, so I would probably be changing mine more often (25k miles) due to the extreme heat and dryness. Last thing I need is a serpentine break in 110 degree heat out in the middle of nowhere.
The last thing you need in Arizona is to break down anywhere. Don't you run the A/C all the time and go from A/C'd cars to A/C'd buildings and back?? You would get pretty hot if there was no A/C.

My wife's 2004 Toyota Corolla S w/ 47k miles has a squealing sound coming from the engine. The belt looks ok, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

I'd like to change the bely myself. Is it an easy task for a novice DIY'er? I don't have any "special" tools either, just the basics. Should I give it a try?

Sure - perfect kind of job for the DIY - just simple tools are all that are needed.

Bikeman982

My wife's 2004 Toyota Corolla S w/ 47k miles has a squealing sound coming from the engine. The belt looks ok, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

I'd like to change the bely myself. Is it an easy task for a novice DIY'er? I don't have any "special" tools either, just the basics. Should I give it a try?

I recommend you give it a try. It is not a difficult task and you can learn how it is done. Check a repair manual for pictures and also description of the maintenance.

Topic List