Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By bhp02, June 11, 2006

was there any recent recall notices for the corolla ??

thanks

Max

Absolutely yes we are supposed to be notified by mail in the event of a recall. (TSBs are not mailed.)

Right, Only recalls require owner notification.

Toyota really buried the TSB for sulphur "farts" since the fix is costly.

Covered on 8/80 emissions warranty. If anyone still gets the sulphur "farts", see your dealer. Dealer doesn't need to be there when your Corolla cuts an SBD. Your word is enough.

TSB worked well on my 2 Corollas.

Bikeman982

What if you are not the original owner - do you still get recalls? Do they notify subsequent owners? What about autos purchased from e-Bay? I have never received any recalls!!

I have some of the sulphur problem, and TWO dealers have refused to fix it, saying that it doesn't fix the problem, that the problem is the reformulated gasoline used in my area in the wintertime. Both said the problem should clear up with the new lower-sulphur fuel.

The problem DOES lessen in spring, though occasionally I still smell sulphur.

Right, Only recalls require owner notification.

Toyota really buried the TSB for sulphur "farts" since the fix is costly.

Covered on 8/80 emissions warranty. If anyone still gets the sulphur "farts", see your dealer. Dealer doesn't need to be there when your Corolla cuts an SBD. Your word is enough.

TSB worked well on my 2 Corollas.

Call the Toyota corporate 800# in your owner's manual.

My dealer in NC and son's in PA had no problem doing the TSB.

If you have the problem, they should do the TSB. It worked great for both of us.

What if you are not the original owner - do you still get recalls? Do they notify subsequent owners? What about autos purchased from e-Bay? I have never received any recalls!!

The car Companies have access to the DMV files for recalls, at least for safety recalls, not sure about ''Courtersy'' recalls...

• 1,424 posts

You won't recieve recalls if you are not the owner when a recall is first issued. In other words if a 2003 Corolla was recalled in 2003 and you didn't buy it until 2005, you would never get a notice. As for getting notices to subsequent owners of a vehicle by mail for a first release of a safety recall, that is hit and miss. A couple of years ago, Ford was the best at informing subsequent owners of safety recalls. They only got notices to about 80% of non-first owners for any given model.

The best thing to do if you want to see if your vehicle has any outstanding (not corrected) recalls is to go to your Toyota dealer with your VIN and ask them to run a check for recalls that have not yet been preformed. If all you want is a list of recalls for your car, you can find that at the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration website. Recalls/TSB

Also on this site is a list of TSBs for any given car. To access this database, simply click the service bulletins link on the left side of the page.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the TSB for the sulfer smell. I took it to a dealer in MD last year who told me it was the gas I was using. I didn't believe him, but he refused to do the work. So, I let it drop. Is there any way I can force them to do the repair? I just passed 90k miles, but I have some 100k mile extended warranty. Might as well get it looked at before the warranty's up.

Thanks!

Mike

Max

www.alldata.com, where I got my sulphur TSB, used to be free, but I think they charge now. Somebody here had another link that I can't remember. You can always Google it and see what comes up.

If you know the TSB number I can grab it from techinfo. I have access for another few days...

The Sulfur TSB I do see indicates Toyota will NOT replace ANY part under warranty for sulfur issues...

---------------------

From TSB EG003-03

Some owners of Toyota vehicles may experience a sulfur–like or “rotten egg” odor from

the exhaust system. Sulfur is a natural component of crude oil from which gasoline is

refined and the amount of sulfur can be decreased through the refining process. The

amount of sulfur in fuel sold in California is regulated, however gasoline sold in other

states can have substantially higher sulfur content. Sulfur content also varies

considerably between gasoline brands and locations.

Applicable Vehicles: All Models.

Repair Procedure: A sulfur odor emitted from the vehicle’s tailpipe does not necessarily indicate that there is

an issue with the engine’s running condition, but is most likely directly related to the fuel.

If the vehicle is exhibiting an excessive sulfur odor, the following checks should be

performed:

If the MIL light is ON, check for DTCs and repair as necessary.

If no trouble is found after performing the above check, recommend the customer try a

different source of fuel.

Replacement of oxygen sensors, air/fuel ratio sensors or catalytic converters will not

reduce the odor and will therefore not be considered warrantable.

• 1,424 posts

Wrong TSB for the sulfur smell. That was the first one where Toyota tried to blame the fuel. They later released one that calls for ECU reprogramming and Catalytic Converter replacement. The final "Sulfur Smell" TSB truly fixed the problem. Look for the most current Sulfur Smell TSB and post that information, that is what will be of use to getting that problem fixed.

Found it! I did a search of the entire TSB database for ALL makes against the ketword Sulfur

EXCESSIVE SULFUR DIOXIDE ODOR

Models: ’03 – ’04 Corolla

Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur dioxide odor on 2003–2004 model

year Corolla vehicles under the following conditions:

Stop and go driving.

Heavy acceleration.

In order to reduce the sulfur dioxide odor, the Electronic Control Module (ECM)

(SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) fuel cut control logic has been modified and

a new catalyst is provided. Follow the repair procedure to reflash the ECM and replace

the catalytic converter assembly.

Here is the link to the entire TSB

TSB EG016-04

Bikeman982

Found it! I did a search of the entire TSB database for ALL makes against the ketword Sulfur

EXCESSIVE SULFUR DIOXIDE ODOR

Models: ’03 – ’04 Corolla

Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur dioxide odor on 2003–2004 model

year Corolla vehicles under the following conditions:

Stop and go driving.

Heavy acceleration.

In order to reduce the sulfur dioxide odor, the Electronic Control Module (ECM)

(SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) fuel cut control logic has been modified and

a new catalyst is provided. Follow the repair procedure to reflash the ECM and replace

the catalytic converter assembly.

Here is the link to the entire TSB

TSB EG016-04

Good info on the TSB. Even second-hand owners can benefit.

This TSB saved my marriage.

I was always asking Joyce if she needed to change her undies because of a #2 accident <grin>.

Bikeman982

This TSB saved my marriage.

I was always asking Joyce if she needed to change her undies because of a #2 accident <grin>.

Did she smell a lot like sulfur?

Thanks for listing the TSB! Now, I have one more question... My car has 90,000 miles. The TSB is good for a car with 80,000 or less. I do have the extended warranty to 100,000 miles however. Do you think this TSB will still apply and be a free repair for me?

I took it in for this problem when the car had less than 80,000 on it, but they refused to fix it. Maybe I can complain and make them fix it siting that it had been in a while ago for the same problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the help and info.

Mike

First, Joyce didn't have the odor. It was the car letting off SBD's, but they were sneaky ones and the source was hard to pinpoint.

Second, you should contact your warranty company before booking the work to see if the repair is covered. Toyota does acknowledge the issue by releasing a TSB.

It's an expensive fix (the new cat converter), so check first.

The fix does reduce farts to near zero.

My 2006 LE has this problem if I acellerate quickly and come to an idle. Also, I've noticed in the last week it seems be having the smell during normal driving, perhaps because of a change over to a winter blend. Is there a TSB for 2006 models for the sulfer smell?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)