Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

99 Corolla Seat Belts Light Stays On

Guest netstat1

My 99 Corolla seat belts light on dash stays on eventhough seat belts are buckled. I would like to get some pointers on what to look for to fix this problem. Thank you.

Guest RockinRolla

I had the same problem w/ my 98 Corolla a couple years back... the seatbelt light kept flashing even tho the seatbelt is buckled. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire seatbelt unit. So that may be a place for you to start looking... good luck!

You could try looking at the wiring harness under the seat that connects to the seatbelt base. When the circuit is open - light will flash until the bukle it inserted closing the circuit. Could be a pinched or severed signal wire. Depending on what seat is cousing he problem - the wire either runs under the carpet or under the car.

Good Luck.

Guest netstat1

I found out that if I pull the seat belt longer, then the flashing seat belt light goes away. I checked all the wiring harness and seems fine. After I reinstalled the seat belt assembly the light goes away for a few days then it comes back.

I suspect that that there is a sensor in the recoil/retract mechanism for the seat belt. The seat belt light on if pulls beyond a certain length (X) and off if extends beyond certain length . I can't find the sensor that can be adjusted, it maybe internal in the retractor. Anybody has any experience in this?

IF you checked all the wiring then that will leave the integration control relay and/or retractor switch. From your description - sounds like the switch which is integrated into the retractor. If it was a bad integration relay - then your key in ignition buzzer warning would be flaky as well.

I found out that if I pull the seat belt longer, then the flashing seat belt light goes away. I checked all the wiring harness and seems fine. After I reinstalled the seat belt assembly the light goes away for a few days then it comes back.

I suspect that that there is a sensor in the recoil/retract mechanism for the seat belt. The seat belt light on if pulls beyond a certain length (X) and off if extends beyond certain length . I can't find the sensor that can be adjusted, it maybe internal in the retractor. Anybody has any experience in this?

Netstat - Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem! Pull the seat belt out about 1/2 way and the flashing dash light comes on. It stays on even when you're buckled up. Pull the belt almost all the way out and it will go off. Any Ideas???

I also still have this issue. I pull my seat belt out all the way and the sensor still flashes. I jerk the seat belt hard and it still flashes, but catches at times, so I assume the seat belt itself still functions. Does anyone have a diagram of what wiring harness to look for? Or is this a dealer only resolution?

I've got the same problem with my girlfriends 2000 corolla. She solved it by clipping one of those black paper clips to the seat belt not allowing it to retract and stay in the position that keeps the light off when she drives.

Topic List