Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Exterior Door Handles

by muzak, May 20, 2006

I just painted the 2 passenger door handles with the proper colour matched paint and they look good. The CE comes with black as stock and now I'm not sure which looks better. I guess it depends on the colour of the car and I don't mind spending the $200 to replace all handles with the LE version, but not sure how much of a task it is to replace them. Anyone have experience with changing them?

Max

Muzak- Where are you? In the U.S.A., Corollas 03+ come with body-colored door handles standard in all models.

• 1,424 posts
I just painted the 2 passenger door handles with the proper colour matched paint and they look good. The CE comes with black as stock and now I'm not sure which looks better. I guess it depends on the colour of the car and I don't mind spending the $200 to replace all handles with the LE version, but not sure how much of a task it is to replace them. Anyone have experience with changing them?

I believe Muzak lives in Canada and therefore has a Canadian spec Corolla. Look carefully at the post, you will notice that Muzak uses the spelling COLOUR. If Muzak was in the USA, he would not use that spelling. (Unless he had a Canadian english teacher in freshman year of high school like I did, then you sometimes spell color and mold with a u like colour or mould, and sometimes spell gray like grey.)

Anyway,

In the USA the '03 and on Corolla CE has body colored door handles but black bodyside molding. In Canada the '03 and on Corolla CE has black door handles and body colored bodyside molding. In both countries the '03 and on CE model has black sideview mirrors.

There are numerous content differences between the US Corolla and the Canadian model. For instance:

Canada 'S' has variable intermittant wipers, US 'S' does not.

Alloy wheels are standard on Canada 'S' and 'LE', but are not standard on any US Corolla execpt the XRS

Canada 'S' and up have chrome interior door handles, only 'LE' with leather get chrome handles in the US

Canada Corollas have the all weather gaurd package as standard, optional on all US Corollas

Floor mats are standard on all Canadian Corollas, optional on all US Corollas

Cruise is standard on Canadian Corolla 'LE', optional on US 'CE' 'LE' and 'S'

Foglamps standard on all Canadian Corolla execpt 'CE', not available on 'CE', 'LE' in US and optional on 'S'

All Canadian Corollas have low washer fluid warning lamp, not available on US models

All Canadian Corolla 'LE' have standard ABS, EBD and TPMS. Optional on US LE and hard to find at that.

There are other differences, but in general the Canadian Corollas are nicer cars with more standard features than their US equivalents. However, they cost more in USD than our cars do, and they pay a lot more tax on their cars than we do.

Max

Yes, 99, I see that Muzak spelled it "colour." default_biggrin But Canadians are far from the only people who might use Old English spellings, and I don't like to assume anything.

Muzak- Back to the issue at hand- You say you've painted two passenger handles already...what about just painting the remaining handles?

Yes, I'm in Ontario Canada. I'm not sure whether I like the black or colour handles better and it took me a few hours to paint the two I did. Those handles aren't the easiest thing to mask around and that's why I wanted to make sure before I continue. If you check the pictures out, let me know which you think is better, please and thanks.

Max

I really like the body-colored handles. I think it gives the car a more uniform appearance.

Yes, I'm in Ontario Canada. I'm not sure whether I like the black or colour handles better and it took me a few hours to paint the two I did. Those handles aren't the easiest thing to mask around and that's why I wanted to make sure before I continue. If you check the pictures out, let me know which you think is better, please and thanks.

Well, I like the coloring on my '98...black door handles black door guards, black outlining all windows..but I've got a light colored car, though. Not sure if that would work on red ones or even that God-awful purple one the Chevy dealers were selling.

For your aqua/blue car, definitely go for the black, and trim the windows as well. But that's my 2¢ American.

Bikeman982

Some people prefer the color to match the car color, but it is a matter of personal taste and preference. You can match it, or have it different for contrast - it is up to you. I try to go with stock, so the less noticed I am the better. I don't want to be obvious to car thieves or police.

Anyway,

In the USA the '03 and on Corolla CE has body colored door handles but black bodyside molding. In Canada the '03 and on Corolla CE has black door handles and body colored bodyside molding. In both countries the '03 and on CE model has black sideview mirrors.

Intersting, my neighbor has two 9th gen Corolla, both bought at the local dealer. The older one, which I am guessing is a 2003 has the black side mouldings. The 2005 has the colour side mouldings. Both are CE models, I'll need to take a closer look at the trim of each

My car is Impulse Red, and personnaly I like the black mirrors and door handles and wouldn't mind black side mouldings.

On a side note, my neighbor's '05 is identical to mine, basic Impulse Red CE and he got it within a month that I got mine.

Topic List