Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

98 Corolla

by fastcorolla98, May 17, 2006

98 Corolla LE, factory leather

mods:

Engine: replaced/ JDM import but same modle..(if anything pulls lil harder with more weight in car)

Intake: short ram

Exhaust: Bolt on Type-R

Suspension: Tikico Gas Struts/Eibach struts

Clutch:Centerforce Dual Friction Stage III

0-60: Very low 7's

Comparison: Dead even with a 06 Ralliart(lancer) tell 110 then he walks away and i hit gov at 120...

Gears(stock):

1st: 35

2nd: 60

3rd: 87

4th: Gov

5th: Gov

Pics:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/815003

Movies

1. racing on public streets to triple digits is retarded

2. wow a lancer, talk about clash of the titans lol

Bikeman982

That's a very good way to burn out something on your car, such as your clutch or your tires.

That's a very good way to burn out something on your car, such as your clutch or your tires.

Admittedly the Corolla is a good car, but aren't you overly loyal? I mean you have bought six or seven of them. Aren't you curious to try something different. A Civic? A Sentra? Even a Hyundai! Why the extreme loyalty, Howard.

Jim.

My family has had four Corollas so far. I'm 27 and plan on buying even more in the future. default_smile

Anybody know where I can get a cat back exhaust system for a 98 Toyota Corolla CE at a relatively good price? So far I am seeing something on the order of 700 bucks. WOW!! Thanks

Bitter's first point is dead on.

Also, how loud is that muffler and how bad is a Stage 3 clutch for daily driving?

I did some quick calculations for anyone interested.

This is for a '93 Prizm LSi with a 5 SPD transmission.

37.3 MPH in 1st @ 6,300 RPM (fuel cut off)

62.0 MPH in 2nd @ 6,300 RPM

90.2 MPH in 3rd @ 6,300 RPM

118 MPH in 4th @ 6,100 RPM

118 MPH in 5th @ 5,100 RPM

First gear: 3.166

Second gear: 1.904

Third gear: 1.310

Fourth gear: 0.969

Fifth gear: 0.815

Final Drive ratio: 3.722

t_rempel

wheelspin with fwd = $$$

dont do it. put money into some fatter rubbers up front and save on your drivetrain default_wink

more grip up front also means less understeer!

Bikeman982

Admittedly the Corolla is a good car, but aren't you overly loyal? I mean you have bought six or seven of them. Aren't you curious to try something different. A Civic? A Sentra? Even a Hyundai! Why the extreme loyalty, Howard.

Jim.

It makes it easy when I work on them. I can just check with one of the other cars to see how they go back together. It is also useful for jumping from one car to another - I pick the one facing the direction I want to go. I used to drive vans and then minivans, so other cars don't really interest me, although I like the looks of some of the Hondas.

98 Corolla LE, factory leather

mods:

Engine: replaced/ JDM import but same modle..(if anything pulls lil harder with more weight in car)

Intake: short ram

Exhaust: Bolt on Type-R

Suspension: Tikico Gas Struts/Eibach struts

Clutch:Centerforce Dual Friction Stage III

0-60: Very low 7's

Comparison: Dead even with a 06 Ralliart(lancer) tell 110 then he walks away and i hit gov at 120...

Gears(stock):

1st: 35

2nd: 60

3rd: 87

4th: Gov

5th: Gov

Pics:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/815003

Movies

??Low 7's - I'm calling BS on this. Are you spraying or running boost? Otherwise if all motor with bolts ons - no way your are running low 7's to 60MPH unless your running downhill - mid to high 8's I'll believe, couple of guys alreay run that on the tracks with similar mods like yours. How did you come up with the number, timeslip, on-dash IMU (G-Force), hand timing it?

ck_az

Anybody know where I can get a cat back exhaust system for a 98 Toyota Corolla CE at a relatively good price? So far I am seeing something on the order of 700 bucks. WOW!! Thanks

k well i recently bought my bro's 2000 ce from him. while he had it he upgraded the rims and put a weapon-r short ram on it. i hadn't been planning on doing much to his car but i decided to thrown on a new exhaust for a little better performance and to just maintain the increased air flow from the short ram. i've spent far too long looking for a cat-back with no luck. OBX made a cat-back for 98'-01' but it has been discontinued from what i can tell. So what i'm doing now (and about the only way i can figure to get a nice exhaust on ur car) is i'm getting a 4-2-1 dc sport ceramic header (you have to search for them under a celica gt, the same year as whatever u have, cause they won't show up under a search for corollas) then i'm buying a mor-flo high flow cat and a dc sports muffler once i order that stuff (sometime this week) i'm ordering some 2 1/2 mandrel bent piping sections and then cutting and welding those to fit in between the header cat and muffler it is a little expensive but probably the best way to go if you wanna get a nice exhaust for ur corolla.

however i probably wouldn't do this if it weren't for my future plans with my car in about 2 or 3 years i plan on buying either a gen3 rx7 or a jeep grand cherokee, and then my good friend and i are gonna strip my corolla down, take out seats a/c and all other unnecessary weight, do a rebuild on the engine with all new internals improve the suspension a little do a swap from automatic to manual and throw in racing seats and weld a cutsom rollcage in to make a nice little amatuer rally car but we'll see how that goes later

Bikeman982

k well i recently bought my bro's 2000 ce from him. while he had it he upgraded the rims and put a weapon-r short ram on it. i hadn't been planning on doing much to his car but i decided to thrown on a new exhaust for a little better performance and to just maintain the increased air flow from the short ram. i've spent far too long looking for a cat-back with no luck. OBX made a cat-back for 98'-01' but it has been discontinued from what i can tell. So what i'm doing now (and about the only way i can figure to get a nice exhaust on ur car) is i'm getting a 4-2-1 dc sport ceramic header (you have to search for them under a celica gt, the same year as whatever u have, cause they won't show up under a search for corollas) then i'm buying a mor-flo high flow cat and a dc sports muffler once i order that stuff (sometime this week) i'm ordering some 2 1/2 mandrel bent piping sections and then cutting and welding those to fit in between the header cat and muffler it is a little expensive but probably the best way to go if you wanna get a nice exhaust for ur corolla.

however i probably wouldn't do this if it weren't for my future plans with my car in about 2 or 3 years i plan on buying either a gen3 rx7 or a jeep grand cherokee, and then my good friend and i are gonna strip my corolla down, take out seats a/c and all other unnecessary weight, do a rebuild on the engine with all new internals improve the suspension a little do a swap from automatic to manual and throw in racing seats and weld a cutsom rollcage in to make a nice little amatuer rally car but we'll see how that goes later

Seems like a lot of work and probably a ton of money to convert a family sedan into a race worthy car.

You could have done better by starting with a performance car.

ck_az

well actually it won't b too bad since i bought the car for only 2k from my bro (when it's worht about 7,500 or so) then most of the work is just gonna b stripping stuff out (cost $0) rebuild on the engine (basically just new gaskets, internals, and a thurough cleaning) the transmission swap( clearer the haredest part but essentially just new transmission, flywheel, and installation of a clutch i can do alot of that at my friend's house cause he's got a garage with 2 lifts) then a homemade role cage so i just neet to buy some piping there and my friend has a welder so it will b a bit of work but that way we won't need to spend too much money for a decent used car thats already somewhat made for rally (such as a mid 90's impreza 2.5 rs) should end up being cheaper actually

and essentially it is just for amatuer rally so it doesnt need real nice engine it's not so much that i win more that i get out and get some time behind the wheel and improving my driving skill

A Rally, as in autocross or rally as in road rally - dirt, tarmac, gravel, roads?

If it is the former, I would not add a roll cage - that will automatically vault you into the upper classe, plus with the chassis as it is - not worth the money or time unless you strip it down to the unibody and atleast double up on all the spot welds, gusseting key parts of the frame to roll cage, etc.

If it is the latter, the car is definitely not even close to road rallying. It might hold up for a few miles - but after that, just a matter of time before parts start to shed off. Definitely a good project to do - if you got the time and money. Basically have to weld close every seam on the body.

ck_az

A Rally, as in autocross or rally as in road rally - dirt, tarmac, gravel, roads?

If it is the former, I would not add a roll cage - that will automatically vault you into the upper classe, plus with the chassis as it is - not worth the money or time unless you strip it down to the unibody and atleast double up on all the spot welds, gusseting key parts of the frame to roll cage, etc.

If it is the latter, the car is definitely not even close to road rallying. It might hold up for a few miles - but after that, just a matter of time before parts start to shed off. Definitely a good project to do - if you got the time and money. Basically have to weld close every seam on the body.

yeh it is the latter acutally and yeh it is gonna take alot of time and money but i'm planning on spending a long time getting it ready

Bikeman982

yeh it is the latter acutally and yeh it is gonna take alot of time and money but i'm planning on spending a long time getting it ready

Good luck!

ck_az

thx it'll b a couple years but it'll b cool when i get it done

Bikeman982

thx it'll b a couple years but it'll b cool when i get it done

Everyone should have a "Project car". It helps keep you off the streets and also gives valuable automotive experience (not to mention a reason to spend money).

Topic List