Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

05 Corolla Ce Fog Light Installation

by bryguy, April 27, 2006

Hello everyone! I just purchased an after market fog light kit for my O5 CE. The kit comes with all wiring, and a switch which looks like it should go in the dummy hole right beside the side mirror controls. My car does not have the pre existing wiring for the fog lights, unfortunately. Why is it so hard to install these lights? Why does Toyota even put the fog light holes there if it's not possible to install them? Does anybody have any knowledge on the subject, and better yet, can anyone offer me any help on putting these lights in my CE?....*staring at my seemingly useless fog light kit* default_huh

Not really hard to wire them - but some experience will go a long way into putting them in, still within the grasp of most DIY projects for most people with a basic set of tools. Not Toyota's fault for putting the blanks up front, saves them the trouble of making two different bumpers.

It is possible that the wiring is under there - might be zip tied to a support ail or other wiring - look carefully. If there is no wiring for fogs - you will have to run your own. Not hard to do - just have to run them into the correct fuse block to give them enough power. You may have to run relays - sometimes they are included with the kit, all depends on how you wire them up.

Here is a short DIY for 8th gen Corollas - very similar hookup to 9th gen Corolla's like yours:

http://www.vvt-i.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3844

Also there might be one on www.9thgencorolla.com forums - just do a search. I know there is one for general fog lamp install (ie. the brute force way of installing fogs):

http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forums/viewto...8&highlight=fog

Not really hard to wire them - but some experience will go a long way into putting them in, still within the grasp of most DIY projects for most people with a basic set of tools. Not Toyota's fault for putting the blanks up front, saves them the trouble of making two different bumpers.

It is possible that the wiring is under there - might be zip tied to a support ail or other wiring - look carefully. If there is no wiring for fogs - you will have to run your own. Not hard to do - just have to run them into the correct fuse block to give them enough power. You may have to run relays - sometimes they are included with the kit, all depends on how you wire them up.

Here is a short DIY for 8th gen Corollas - very similar hookup to 9th gen Corolla's like yours:

http://www.vvt-i.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3844

Also there might be one on www.9thgencorolla.com forums - just do a search. I know there is one for general fog lamp install (ie. the brute force way of installing fogs):

http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forums/viewto...8&highlight=fog

Hello again.....Just to refresh your memory, I bought an OEM foglight kit for my 05 corolla. okay here's where I'm at. I found the wiring for the fog lights, Yay!...lights are on, hooked up and bolted in. In the fuse box, there is a 15amp fuse already in, on the fuse box cover, it shows a larger fuse port which says "fog" right behind the 15amp, what goes in there?, the relay?

Is that all I do before installing the switch? Now the switch will fit in the dummy hole beside the side mirror controls.......how do I put that in, any splicing? Thanks and would appreciate any help at all.

Unfortunantely - there are more than one way to hook up the fogs - depends on how you want them to operate and if you have access to a voltmeter or not.

Since you have the OEM fog kit (you mentioned aftermarket before) - can you list the components included - some kits have relays some do not. I'm assuming it does not for now (relays are generally not needed unless you have something that will exceed the current capacity of the wires). Just think of the relay as a switch which allows a low-current circuit to control a high-current circuit (ie, a low current dashboard switch with thin wires controlling a pair of off-road spots that are powered directly off the battery). If you tried and switched those directly, you will arc the switch.

That being the case - follow the directions to the first link I gave you - it should be real close to what you need to do (OEM fogs in a non-S trim Corolla). The second link is for a universal type install for fogs.

Very difficult to help you out unless I see the kit myself (all components, wire rating, switch type and rating, etc.) - hence the links to the DIY as a reference for you to point you in the right direction.

Unfortunantely - there are more than one way to hook up the fogs - depends on how you want them to operate and if you have access to a voltmeter or not.

Since you have the OEM fog kit (you mentioned aftermarket before) - can you list the components included - some kits have relays some do not. I'm assuming it does not for now (relays are generally not needed unless you have something that will exceed the current capacity of the wires). Just think of the relay as a switch which allows a low-current circuit to control a high-current circuit (ie, a low current dashboard switch with thin wires controlling a pair of off-road spots that are powered directly off the battery). If you tried and switched those directly, you will arc the switch.

That being the case - follow the directions to the first link I gave you - it should be real close to what you need to do (OEM fogs in a non-S trim Corolla). The second link is for a universal type install for fogs.

Very difficult to help you out unless I see the kit myself (all components, wire rating, switch type and rating, etc.) - hence the links to the DIY as a reference for you to point you in the right direction.

okay the kit is an OEM for 2003 Camry, exact fit on the 05 corolla. Purchased on ebay from "Atomic Street" ebay item #8057346764 (ebay motors).....should show a picture........lights are bolted in place, hooked up to the wiring......what next?........there is a part called "automotive relay...12v....do I need this?.....I plan to turn on/off the fog lights as I need them..hence the switch. The original link you sent me shows the guy bolting the lights in, then he says okay on the step 2....switches and relays.......no step 2 to be found! I need a good DIY link to show how to get these in, installing the switch.....step by step, fusing, any splicing,etc.

okay the kit is an OEM for 2003 Camry, exact fit on the 05 corolla. Purchased on ebay from "Atomic Street" ebay item #8057346764 (ebay motors).....should show a picture........lights are bolted in place, hooked up to the wiring......what next?........there is a part called "automotive relay...12v....do I need this?.....I plan to turn on/off the fog lights as I need them..hence the switch. The original link you sent me shows the guy bolting the lights in, then he says okay on the step 2....switches and relays.......no step 2 to be found! I need a good DIY link to show how to get these in, installing the switch.....step by step, fusing, any splicing,etc.

Checked out the eBay item - but the image is not clear enough to make out the type of relay there. Did it come with one or two relays? What ype of relays - number of contacts? What type of switch is it - number of contacts? Did you try just "dry fitting" the kit - attaching the wires to the relay and switch to make sure what end goes where? Any bare or spripped section of wires you have to solder? Or are they all terminated with some kind of connector? As for the missing step two - he actually did a simple line drawing of what the relays would do on the same page.

I've linked a simpler diagram to hook up the fogs - assuming you have only one 12V relay. The relay I used is based of a Bosch design (pretty common) - you would have to figure out what the pinouts are on the relay you have. Those look like OEM "style" fogs - but I can't tell if they use all OEM connectors - you might have to do some splicing somewhere (solder is best way to do it - butt-connectors or inline splicing would be OK if they are the weatherproof type.) For a better step by step type of DIY - might just have to search for one - might not be for a Corolla, but it might help out - most DIYs are specific to a particular model. If you have some basic electronic tools (solder iron, multimeter/voltmeter, etc.) it would help alot - if not, might want to give this job to someone else. You have a body computer hooked to the fuse panel - if you short something out, you could cook the body ECM - I've seen it before - having a good multimeter will save your butt there.

BASIC line drawing for fog hookup:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/fis...Lampinstall.jpg

Factory Service Manual Fog wiring diagram:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/fishexpo101/fogs2.jpg

Good Luck.

I was considering getting the fog lights for my CE as well and still may. With the parts that come with the standard kit...do the lights shut off when you turn off the key? Also, if you don't flip the switch off, will the car be starting with the foglights on?

I was considering getting the fog lights for my CE as well and still may. With the parts that come with the standard kit...do the lights shut off when you turn off the key? Also, if you don't flip the switch off, will the car be starting with the foglights on?
Depends on how you wire them up. With the simple line drawing I made - the lights will only turn on with the switch, if tied to the correct source on the fuse panel - they will also be controlled by the ignition switch. The OEM setup has four major components, three components inside the cabin - Fogs themselves, combination switch (fog switch), fuse panel (fog fuse), and fog relay.

Bikeman982

Depends on how you wire them up. With the simple line drawing I made - the lights will only turn on with the switch, if tied to the correct source on the fuse panel - they will also be controlled by the ignition switch. The OEM setup has four major components, three components inside the cabin - Fogs themselves, combination switch (fog switch), fuse panel (fog fuse), and fog relay.

It is best to wire them independently of any other lights, since you don't want them to always be on. They can be wired into a separate switch which allows flexibility of when they come on. The power source can come directly from the battery, from the fuse box, or tapped into any hot wire. As long as you have a controlling switch you have the option of turning them off or on when you desire.

Here is an alternate way to install the fog lights... It looks pretty straight forward. It does require purchasing a few other items but it looks like a very clean install. This is post #225 from http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0a0ee/217.

1) Push out the UGLY black fog lamp covers and discard.

(Sell these things on ebay.)

2) Install the really great looking Fog Lamps that Toyota won't sell as an option. Remove the Phillips screw from the back of the new lamps, press the white plastic retainer into the small slot from behind. (Two small clips hold it in place.) Hook the gray plastic tab on the Lamp into the outboard slot and swing the Lamp assembly into position, Move the retainer as needed until the screw will mate and hold the Lamp. (Use a stubby screwdriver 'cause you don't have much room.)

3) Connect the Lamps to the existing wiring harness. Look for an oval shaped black connector taped up against the inside wall.

4) Repeat for the other side.

5) Install the Fog Lamp Relay, (Part Number 90080-87026.) in the under hood fuse box. (Lower right side of the panel.)

6) Replace the turn signal switch with the Fog Lamp/Turn Signal Switch, (Part Number 84140-02200.) Tilt the steering wheel down, remove three Phillips screws from the plastic steering wheel cover. (One brass screw is just to the right of the steering wheel tilt adjust lever, the other two are black and may be hidden by the steering wheel, swing it from side to side while looking at the cover thru the steering wheel, you'll find them.) Pull down on the plastic cover to separate and remove the lower half and push up and to the right to remove the upper half. Use the tip of a screwdriver blade to depress the black plastic retaining tab on the turn signal switch, remove switch and disconnect the white wiring harness. Install the new Fog Lamp switch, (Just line up the tabs with the metal bracket and push till it seats.) reconnect the wiring harness. Test you work. Replace the steering wheel covers, top first, This is the only part that is not a lot of fun, but it will snap back into place. Replace the steering column cover screws,

that's it. The Lamps will work every time and look like a factory option.

• 110 posts

Here is an alternate way to install the fog lights... It looks pretty straight forward. It does require purchasing a few other items but it looks like a very clean install. This is post #225 from http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0a0ee/217.

1) Push out the UGLY black fog lamp covers and discard.

(Sell these things on ebay.)

2) Install the really great looking Fog Lamps that Toyota won't sell as an option. Remove the Phillips screw from the back of the new lamps, press the white plastic retainer into the small slot from behind. (Two small clips hold it in place.) Hook the gray plastic tab on the Lamp into the outboard slot and swing the Lamp assembly into position, Move the retainer as needed until the screw will mate and hold the Lamp. (Use a stubby screwdriver 'cause you don't have much room.)

3) Connect the Lamps to the existing wiring harness. Look for an oval shaped black connector taped up against the inside wall.

4) Repeat for the other side.

5) Install the Fog Lamp Relay, (Part Number 90080-87026.) in the under hood fuse box. (Lower right side of the panel.)

6) Replace the turn signal switch with the Fog Lamp/Turn Signal Switch, (Part Number 84140-02200.) Tilt the steering wheel down, remove three Phillips screws from the plastic steering wheel cover. (One brass screw is just to the right of the steering wheel tilt adjust lever, the other two are black and may be hidden by the steering wheel, swing it from side to side while looking at the cover thru the steering wheel, you'll find them.) Pull down on the plastic cover to separate and remove the lower half and push up and to the right to remove the upper half. Use the tip of a screwdriver blade to depress the black plastic retaining tab on the turn signal switch, remove switch and disconnect the white wiring harness. Install the new Fog Lamp switch, (Just line up the tabs with the metal bracket and push till it seats.) reconnect the wiring harness. Test you work. Replace the steering wheel covers, top first, This is the only part that is not a lot of fun, but it will snap back into place. Replace the steering column cover screws,

that's it. The Lamps will work every time and look like a factory option.

Thumbs up.

Worked great for me with 2003 Toyota Corolla CE.

I had aftermarket fog lamps (eBay) which were installed by local garage. Then 1 bulb blew out, then the other the next day. Replaced bulbs and all was fine. Then came the rain and inline fuse location was heavily corroded. Cleaned corrosion and re-inserted fuze. The relay died - heavily corroded. A lot of research online and decided to replace turn signal and add factory relay as noted above. I reused the lamps (I hate the H3 bulbs). I wish I could use the 2005-2008 lens, as they use the 9006 bulbs. Has anyone with 2003 or 2004 Corolla tried to use the 2005-2008 fag lens? Would the front bumper cover need replacing? TIA.

Topic List