Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Pioneer Pre-power Sub Box

By googus, April 24, 2006

Hello all I am a new member with a million dollar question. I have a pre powered pioneer sub box that I took out of my Maxima and I would like to install in my Corolla. I have no experiance with stereos but I am not dumb and I am quick learner and I am cheep an do not want to pay someone over 100 bucks to install it.

So hear are the questions for you guys or girls.

2005 Corolla S fully loaded with 6disc CD Changer in dash stock

1=red and black no problem I will buy a amp kit and run to battery with inline fuse.

2=Blue wire (remote turn on) where do I connect this to??

3=RCA jacks does the head unit have them behind unit?

In my maxima they connected speaker wire and jumped off the rear speaker for signal??

4= can I crimp the power wire from battery to amp?

5= do I need to take stereo out and if so what is the best way

PLEASE help I am tired of this thing in my trunk taking up space not hooked up if not I will have to sell it cheep.

Thank you

Greg

1=red and black no problem I will buy a amp kit and run to battery with inline fuse.

Sounds good - get one sized to the amp and you should have no problems.

Does not have the pin on the harness on the OEM headunit (I have one in my Matrix - assuming it is the same way as the Corolla) - you have to wire it in yourself to a switched 12V power (ignition switch is one source - careful if you have a security system, makes it "interesting" to hookup)

3=RCA jacks does the head unit have them behind unit? In my maxima they connected speaker wire and jumped off the rear speaker for signal??

OEM headunit does not have RCA or line level outs to a separate amp. Choices are to replace OEM headunit or get line converters ($20-$30 - takes speaker level outputs and turn them into line level outs)

Depends on how big the amp is for the subs - you may be able to get a open-ring terminal and crimp it to some wire. Better to solder as well and seal with epoxy or silicone - to keep moisture out of the crimp. If the amp is a pretty good size (200W RMS or bigger) - I'd get a terminal block to split the power off to the amp (less loss and easier hookup of the thicker gauge wire).

No need to - unless you plan on replacing it or hiding some of the wiring. Trim around the radio just pulls straight off (look at the bottom of the trim - you'll see little tabs to put a screwdriver in to pry it up. Remove mounting screws and radio pops out.

OEM headunit does not have RCA or line level outs to a separate amp. Choices are to replace OEM headunit or get line converters ($20-$30 - takes speaker level outputs and turn them into line level outs)

Where can I get these? Can I just connect it to the speakers with out them? I have a security system on the ignition any other ideas where I can hook up the remote turn on?

Thank you so much for the reply.

Greg

Guest 02corollaevolved

Hello all I am a new member with a million dollar question. I have a pre powered pioneer sub box that I took out of my Maxima and I would like to install in my Corolla. I have no experiance with stereos but I am not dumb and I am quick learner and I am cheep an do not want to pay someone over 100 bucks to install it.So hear are the questions for you guys or girls.

2005 Corolla S fully loaded with 6disc CD Changer in dash stock

3=RCA jacks does the head unit have them behind unit?

In my maxima they connected speaker wire and jumped off the rear speaker for signal??

PLEASE help I am tired of this thing in my trunk taking up space not hooked up if not I will have to sell it cheep.

Thank you

Greg

greg you need a high level input adapter for your speakers. Approx 29 dollars in my store anyway. This converts rear or front speaker signals into rca. It is best to wire this up at the back of your deck because you'll get more power there, then simply run your rcas. As for your blue remote turn on, simply hook this up with the red assesory wire so that the amp turns on with the acessories of the car. I am not sure what you mean by crimping the power wire but you can crimp the connection to a ring termonal to install on the battery post, you could also get a new post terminal that the wire simply inserts into. approx $20. Good luck

Jeff

Where can I get these? Can I just connect it to the speakers with out them? I have a security system on the ignition any other ideas where I can hook up the remote turn on?
You can get line converters almost anywhere they sell car/mobile audio components. Try crutchfield as an online infomation site - lots of good info there, most of your initial questions may be already answered there.

Example line converters - too many makes and styles to list - I choose one at random on the site:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fm4t9UEkAGd/c...erter&i=142SLC4

Example power connections - some ring terminals to tie right to the side of the terminal on the battery post or an adapter to run a terminal block:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fm4t9UEkAGd/c...&skipvs=T&g=710

As for other possible sites for remote power lead - like 02corollaevolved mentioned, anything that is switched on (accessory device) could also be used. The idea is to wire it in to a 12V source that is switched - don't want to run the remote line directly from the battery - as it will tell the amp to start pulling voltage from the system, draining your battery pertty quickly. Best way is to run it from a headunit that has it (amp turn on only when you turn on the headunit) - not possible with OEM setup. Accessory or ignition is the next best thing - but note that the amp will be on, regarless if you have the headunit on or not - in that wiring case.

Thanks guys for all the advise it is bike time here in NJ so when Weather gets bad I might just try it out.

Thank you once again.

Greg

You can get line converters almost anywhere they sell car/mobile audio components. Try crutchfield as an online infomation site - lots of good info there, most of your initial questions may be already answered there.

Example line converters - too many makes and styles to list - I choose one at random on the site:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fm4t9UEkAGd/c...erter&i=142SLC4

Example power connections - some ring terminals to tie right to the side of the terminal on the battery post or an adapter to run a terminal block:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fm4t9UEkAGd/c...&skipvs=T&g=710

As for other possible sites for remote power lead - like 02corollaevolved mentioned, anything that is switched on (accessory device) could also be used. The idea is to wire it in to a 12V source that is switched - don't want to run the remote line directly from the battery - as it will tell the amp to start pulling voltage from the system, draining your battery pertty quickly. Best way is to run it from a headunit that has it (amp turn on only when you turn on the headunit) - not possible with OEM setup. Accessory or ignition is the next best thing - but note that the amp will be on, regarless if you have the headunit on or not - in that wiring case.

If you remove the head unit don't forget to remove the screw holding the trim plate on. If you pull the center A/C knob off there is a screw hiding behind it holding the whole thing on. I have complete instructions for removal of head unit, front and rear speakers and a diagram of what wires are what in PDF if you're interested. I can e-mail it to you since i don't know how to post it on here.

Hmmm...that just gave me an idea...what if we posted stuff like that here on the web site?

Hmmm...that just gave me an idea...what if we posted stuff like that here on the web site?
Might be able to have the mod host it for you - otherwise there are other options (free web hosting). I use Photobucket myself for photos - I've posted PDF screen caps - they look alright.

Topic List