Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Any Tire Recommendations....

by enotoga, April 22, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

....would be appreciated. My oem tires are bald at 36k so I'm replacing them. I'd like a decent quality high gas mileage tire for a reasonable price. Can anybody recommend a good one?

Max

I'll chime in, but also suggest you search the forum, as tires come up a lot. I chose Bridgestone Turanza LS-T 195/60/15s to replace the nasty 185/65/15s Goodyear Integrities on my CE. Other tires that get rave reviews here include Michelin Harmony and Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred, among others. I really like my Turanzas. Car is glued to the road, they are silent, incredible in rain, and have helped a bit with the crosswind issue we've been discussing in another thread. They were reasonably priced, and my mileage is the same as with the Goodyears.

I just sold my Integrity's with about 6,000 miles on them. The new Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treds are working out very nice right now. They're 205/60/15 and cost less at my local Toyota dealer than anywhere else I shopped. Now I can use on and off ramps without worrying about the cornering.

• 1,424 posts

I take it you have Goodyear Integrities. I have Bridgestone Insigna SE200-02 as OEM. They are fine tires, better than the Goodyears, but they are mid-line at best. If you want somethin a lot better than the OEM, look at these:

B.F. Goodrich Traction T/A H

B.F. Goodrich Traction T/A T

Goodyear Assurance TripleTread

Michlen Harmony

Bridgestone Turanza

Stay far, far away from cheap Goodyears and all Firestones. Birdgestones are made by Firestone, but they are superior tires in every respect.

I put on BF goodrich traction T/A on my 04 LE. My last calculated mileage was 435 miles in 11.5 gallons (US) which comes out to be 38mpg (90% highway miles). Atleast 2-3mpg better than earlier.

But better mileage can be due to

1. Weather ( now 50-60 F earlier 40-50 F)

2. 35 psi pressure in tires.

3. New tires??

Stability in rain, winds is much better than before.

I replaced the Goodyear Integrity tires at about 44,000 miles on my 01 LE & bought the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred - I paid $65 per tire (plus balancing & stuff) - so far I like them - they are pretty good on wet pavement too - I get 32MPG pretty consistently -

Max

muzak- I looked seriously at the ComforTreds. Are they as smooth and quiet as advertised? My dealership doesn't carry them.

99- To my surprise, my Bridgestones are stamped "made in Japan." Just like they were on all my Celicas, since each of those were also made in Japan many decades ago. I've been very pleased that Bridgestone's quality didn't suffer after they hooked up with Firestone. I've never been let down by Bridgestone.

Bikeman982

I bought Big O Legacy for my car. I also like Michelin. There are many brands - depends on type of driving and wear characteristics you want. Dunlop are excellent traction, but wear quickly. Michelin All Season works for my California weather, but may not be so great in the snow.

muzak- I looked seriously at the ComforTreds. Are they as smooth and quiet as advertised? My dealership doesn't carry them.

That's hard to say as I can't really compare them to the Blizzack Revo's that have been on since November. I do know they are very quiet and a very nice ride. When they say "20% smoother ride" they don't say what they're comparing them to.

GoodYear Triple Treds.

I love 'em.

Bikeman982

....would be appreciated. My oem tires are bald at 36k so I'm replacing them. I'd like a decent quality high gas mileage tire for a reasonable price. Can anybody recommend a good one?
Any high mileage tire would be one that does not get great traction, as that is what causes them to wear fast - the friction with the road. I know Continental makes a tough, long-lasting tire, but it is not the best on the road. You can also get more mileage out of any tire by frequent tire rotations. At least then they will wear fairly evenly all around.

Bikeman982

Can't go wrong with Michelin Harmony's.I have them on my car, MUCH better dry and wet grip than those junky Integrity's that were on there.

They are rated for 80,000 miles.

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/M...retype=0&tire=1

default_biggrin

Look like excellent tires, both for dry and wet weather as well as snow. Tremendous mileage. What do they run?

Can't go wrong with Michelin Harmony's.

I have them on my car, MUCH better dry and wet grip than those junky Integrity's that were on there.

default_biggrin

Look like excellent tires, both for dry and wet weather as well as snow. Tremendous mileage. What do they run?

Got them for $582 CAD.

So about $500 USD. A little bit pricey but well worth the money. default_smile

Can't go wrong with Michelin Harmony's.I have them on my car, MUCH better dry and wet grip than those junky Integrity's that were on there.

default_biggrin

I'll also chime in on the Harmony's. My girlfriend just had some new ones put on her '01 Civic, and we think they are excellent. Great traction; not too loud; and as Rolla04 said, they're rated for high mileage. I'll probably get them when it's time to change my tires.

My 2004 Ce came with Uniroyal Tiger Paw. I have 32K miles on them and I think they might last another 5-10000 miles at most. I looked through tirerach website and they have some good bridgestone tires. I liked the Bridgestone Potenze G 009. I have Toyo Proxes TPT on my 99 camry excellent tires. Whenever I change I plan to replace my oem tires with a good set of High Performance all season tires. I have heard good things about Yokohama TRZ too. Michelins have gotten too pricey. Check out tire ratings on Tirerack.com and check prices with your local tire installers to figure out the best place to buy.

I'll toss in my endorsement for the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds. I put them on my '03 Corolla two years ago, and have run them in all kinds of weather. The traction is fantastic, the handling is supurb, and the ride is OK. I'll tell you right now, these are not the most comfortable riding tires I've owned, but they excel in all other areas. They also respond dramatically to even small changes in air pressure. Blow them up beyond 35 PSI and you'll get a bit better fuel economy, but handling will be twitchy, especially in high winds. I'd suggest keeping the air pressure between 32 - 35 PSI with the Triple Treds. At that pressure, you'll still get max. EPA mileage, but ride and handling will be a lot better. These tires have cured me of my long-standing tendency to run my tires above maximum pressure.

Actually, the Goodyear Triple Treds would be my choice if I didn't have dedicated snow tires. I chose the Comfort Treds because I don't need them in the winter.

Bikeman982

I like the look and handling of the tires I got from Big O - they are Legacy and are slightly wider than stock with a good tread pattern.

It depends on your driving style, traction, and the comfort ride you are looking for.

Bikeman982

There are many tires with varying prices. It depends on exactly what you are looking for the tires to do - last a long time, have great road traction, be inexpensive, etc. There are a lot of options.

friendly_jacek

I'll toss in my endorsement for the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds. I put them on my '03 Corolla two years ago, and have run them in all kinds of weather. The traction is fantastic, the handling is supurb, and the ride is OK. I'll tell you right now, these are not the most comfortable riding tires I've owned, but they excel in all other areas. They also respond dramatically to even small changes in air pressure. Blow them up beyond 35 PSI and you'll get a bit better fuel economy, but handling will be twitchy, especially in high winds. I'd suggest keeping the air pressure between 32 - 35 PSI with the Triple Treds. At that pressure, you'll still get max. EPA mileage, but ride and handling will be a lot better. These tires have cured me of my long-standing tendency to run my tires above maximum pressure.

Did you loose any MPG compared to stock LRR tires?

TT tire were also my first choice but I heard of people loosing up to 10% MPG.

I went with BFG Traction T/A (H-rated), good traction, somewhat noisy. Interestingly, I lost 10% mpg on first tank and then it went back to normal. I guess tires need to brake in.

Bikeman982

Did you loose any MPG compared to stock LRR tires?

TT tire were also my first choice but I heard of people loosing up to 10% MPG.

I went with BFG Traction T/A (H-rated), good traction, somewhat noisy. Interestingly, I lost 10% mpg on first tank and then it went back to normal. I guess tires need to brake in.

Tires come with little tabs on them when they are new and it does take a few miles for those tabs to wear off. I liked the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's because they hold the road good, but they tended to wear out faster than Continental and some of the other brands.

BF Goodrich Traction T/A H

I put these on my 2005 LE, and they are worth every penny....

Bikeman982

BF Goodrich Traction T/A HI put these on my 2005 LE, and they are worth every penny....

Where did you purchase them from and what did they cost you?? What size are they?

Topic List