Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By elahaie, April 21, 2006

Hi,

Small question for you,

I just got a Corolla 2001, The last oil change was made on nov 2004, I just got the car. This car was in a dealer lot for sometime ;-)

Right now, When i drove at 105/KM (I'm in Canada), I can feel a vibration. In the steering (A bit) but more on the passenger side on the floor. Under 105KM it's maybe there but not like 105.

Not sure where to start to fix that issue....

The car as 81000KM.

But because of the fact that this car was on a lot for 1 year without moving, they changes the tires for brand new one but this didn't fix the issue. They change the rotor and pad in front and they fix the drum at the back (They changed them or they fix them..) Right now they want me to pay for a allignment on the car to see if they can do it. (If not they maybe gonna change the shock in front). Do you know if the shock can do something like that?

Thanks,

Eric Lahaie

Added:

It's a manual, No Tuned up as been done, I called Toyota and they said, If the check engine light is not "on" you don't need that! ;-)

Thanks,

Eric

Tell the dealer to do the allignment for free or the deal is off.

Tell the dealer to do the allignment for free or the deal is off.

I got the car from a MEGA car dealer. They don't care about me. I don't mind paying to fix it as long as i don't go back to that place. That's why i ask. Anyways it's more than 30 days now and the warranty was for 30 days.

What's the vehicle's history? Was it in any front end collisions?

If its a manual try reproducing the vibration in both 4th and 5th gear... it could tell you if the problem is engine-rpm related (ie engine mount). Sounds like its suspension related though.

What's the vehicle's history? Was it in any front end collisions?

If its a manual try reproducing the vibration in both 4th and 5th gear... it could tell you if the problem is engine-rpm related (ie engine mount). Sounds like its suspension related though.

I checked the car on carfax and that car reported no collisions at all. They check the engine mount and everything seems to be normal. (Very tight). The only thing weird is one of the link kit, left. Not the same angle as the other one... (Can be normal on Corolla??)

They test the car in 4th and 5th gear. The vibration was there on the 5th gear, he then changed to the 4th to put the car back in the 5th and the vibration was not there anymore. I tested that myself a second time and on the 5th or 4th the same vibration was there. (Could be something loose in the manual tranny, even if i wasn't able to reproduce what he did??). I sent the corolla to a toyota dealer to test the manual transmission and they said that the feeling of the clutch is weird. But my dealer said that the transmission is fine. (I sent the car to 2 garage to confirm and they said that the clutch is fine...). Anyways this car will go to the Toyota dealer (Another one) on may 10th for a complete inspection. I will see after that!

Thanks,

Eric

Guest dncar

I had vibrations at 105 too (1998 Corolla), but a wheel balance fixed it perfectly; were all your wheels rebalanced with the new tyres?

don

I had vibrations at 105 too (1998 Corolla), but a wheel balance fixed it perfectly; were all your wheels rebalanced with the new tyres?

don

Yep, wheel balancing helps (and cheaper than alignment). No collision doesn't mean the car's handling is fine.

Bikeman982

It is possible that the tires have developed flat spots, especially if it was not moved or driven for a long time. The best corrective action is either to change out all the tires with new ones or else tolerate the vibrations until they wear in better.

It is possible that the tires have developed flat spots, especially if it was not moved or driven for a long time. The best corrective action is either to change out all the tires with new ones or else tolerate the vibrations until they wear in better.

Hi,

I had Motomaster tires on it when i got it, One of the motomaster had a scratch dot on it, i when to Canadien Tires to ask and they said that when there is a scratch dot it means that this tire was defective, he shouldn't be on the car. I when back to the dealer, they changed the front tire for Michelin tires and they balance the car again. I did changed the tires after (4) for yokohama tires (Brand new) and balance the car again. NOW the car is going straight... That's not the problem. (Anyways after 3 brand of tires, I don't think so..). I stops at a garange this weekend, he said that before he align the car he will try to figure out the problem. He put the car on the lift and a guy was in the car, they pushed the motor to 30KM. He checked for noise, they was noise in the cabin. He blocked the wheel on by one, the noise was still there. Then he listened to the transmission and this was making a lot of noise. He said that this is the problem. He said usually he can see this type of problem on Honda but not on Toyota. (The first time...). I went to the dealer he said that the problem is in my head! Cool eh? I have a extended warranty (Not with the dealer but with national warranty) and i will wait till the car cannot move i guess! I tried a 2002 carolla from the dealer this weekend and that one was silent and solid! But if it's in my head i guess i can wait!

Thanks,

Eric Lahaie

Hi,

I had Motomaster tires on it when i got it, One of the motomaster had a scratch dot on it, i when to Canadien Tires to ask and they said that when there is a scratch dot it means that this tire was defective, he shouldn't be on the car. I when back to the dealer, they changed the front tire for Michelin tires and they balance the car again. I did changed the tires after (4) for yokohama tires (Brand new) and balance the car again. NOW the car is going straight... That's not the problem. (Anyways after 3 brand of tires, I don't think so..). I stops at a garange this weekend, he said that before he align the car he will try to figure out the problem. He put the car on the lift and a guy was in the car, they pushed the motor to 30KM. He checked for noise, they was noise in the cabin. He blocked the wheel on by one, the noise was still there. Then he listened to the transmission and this was making a lot of noise. He said that this is the problem. He said usually he can see this type of problem on Honda but not on Toyota. (The first time...). I went to the dealer he said that the problem is in my head! Cool eh? I have a extended warranty (Not with the dealer but with national warranty) and i will wait till the car cannot move i guess! I tried a 2002 carolla from the dealer this weekend and that one was silent and solid! But if it's in my head i guess i can wait!

Thanks,

Eric Lahaie

WOW! I just called Toyota and they said there is still a waranty on my car for the powertrain. They will look into it!! ;-) cool!

Max

3 yr/36k is the bumper to bumper warranty. 5 yr/60k is the powertrain warranty.

Hi,

Thanks,

Eric Lahaie

That's a good garage mechanic you went to. So what exactly is the defective part?

If you have a problem with noise from a manual transmission a common problem area could be the clutch throw bearing. It is semi-exposed in the engine bay and sometimes moisture can make its way into the bearing races and cause corrosion, hence the noise.

I have a similar problem with my 01 Rolla (intermittent though). It can be temporarily solved by spraying (sparingly) some Jig-A-Loo in that area (but don't overuse otherwise it could be an expensive repair bill). The noise starts out as a "squishing sound" when you depress the clutch and progresses to a rasping sound when cruising in the higher gears.

Could also be that the problem is related to a deformed half-shaft.

Bikeman982

Is the car automatic or standard?? If the problem is with the transmission or drive train, that is totally different than the tires and if it is covered by your warranty - have the warranty place fix it.

Last oil change was made on nov 2004?! For god's sake, change all the fluids!

Last oil change was made on nov 2004?! For god's sake, change all the fluids!

They did that... The car was on a lot for almost 2 years. They changed all the fluid before i got the car.

I went to Toyota yesterday they said that the timing chain needed to be changed. This was under warranty still. They will do that.

They said that the tires was not balanced. (0.75 on the left and 0.50 on the right... God knows what this means...)

My clutch makes sweaking noise now and they said they will fix that tonight. The car still as vibration at 105KM. (Seems to be coming from under the driver seats...)

So i guess they are working on it.

I don't think the car vibrate because of the timing chain... (They said that the valve are ok and it make noise only, nothing else...)

Thanks,

Eric Lahaie

Hi,

It's me again with a update.

I went to Toyota, They allign the car, No more shaking in the steering wheel. BUT

The car shake in the driver seat and on the floor. (I can feel it when i pressed on the gaz).

The last time they said that the rear tires are off on the machine.... (They have a Hunter and they said that there are at .27 and it should be under .26) They said they tested with other tires on the same rims and the vibration was gone (On the hunter the new rating was .14 with the other tires...), So i went to the tire shop and i changed my 4 tires to brand new Yokohama Avid Touring tires.... Still Vibration...

Seems to be a manual transmission problem but Toyota said it's impossible.

What do you think? It's a Corolla CE 2001 with 84000KM.

The clutch seems to be working fine....

Toyota tested the car for 2 days, they said they look under the car for anyting that can be loose and they didn't find anything at all... But they can feel the vibration....

Thanks,

Eric

I went to Toyota, They allign the car, No more shaking in the steering wheel. BUTThe car shake in the driver seat and on the floor. (I can feel it when i pressed on the gaz).

Salut Eric,

I'm not a mecanical expert, but I want to know something:

The alignment they make, they done it on the front wheels only or on the four wheels?

I went to Toyota, They allign the car, No more shaking in the steering wheel. BUT

The car shake in the driver seat and on the floor. (I can feel it when i pressed on the gaz).

Salut Eric,

I'm not a mecanical expert, but I want to know something:

The alignment they make, they done it on the front wheels only or on the four wheels?

I guess they did that on the 4 wheels... I hope so, They charge me for the 4 wheels....

Eric

Two words: bent wheel. I chased a similar, annoying and speed-sensitive front end vibration for months. I finally discovered that I had two slighty bent wheels. Since my tires were worn and I wanted an upgrade I sprung for a new wheel/tire package. Besides a great new look, I have enjoyed a smooth, steady ride for 30,000 plus miles now.

Lots of luck.

Two words: bent wheel. I chased a similar, annoying and speed-sensitive front end vibration for months. I finally discovered that I had two slighty bent wheels. Since my tires were worn and I wanted an upgrade I sprung for a new wheel/tire package. Besides a great new look, I have enjoyed a smooth, steady ride for 30,000 plus miles now.

Lots of luck.

This is make sense to me too.

Is it possible to you to put 4 other wheels with tires on them to see if it makes a difference? (winter tires with rims from a friend, ....)

Or maybe putting your 2 front wheels in rear and the 2 rear wheels in front just to see if the vibration is different?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)