Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Corolla Owner, Impressions After 2000 Miles

by cdherman, April 21, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Well, after my 2000 Taurus started making nasty noises from the tranny at 96,000 miles, I decided to buy a car for my 11 year old daughter -- 5 years ahead of time. To be used as my communter car for 5 years, then passed on to daughter dearest for some real action in 2011!

So after test rides (I am 6'5", 240lb), lots of reading in CR, online etc., I decided on a 2006 Corolla LE -- has ABS, but no vehicle stabilization (all the dealers told me I'd need to special order a car if I wanted that feature). Has side airbags, also a fancy CD changer.

So here are a few observations, not meant as flames or critique. Just figured some prospective, new and old Corolla drivers might be interested.

1) Mileage -- I decided on a conventional gasser as opposed to diesel (VW) or hybrid, as I want reliability and long term low maintainance. Of course, there are tradeoffs. Consumer reports predicted something like 26 city and 34 highway for automatic tranny, and 29-30 combined. I was hopeing for a little better, as I drive mostly highway miles in the commute. And I drive like a grandpa. So my honest average, total miles over total gas = 31.66mpg which included one 500 mile trip at interstate speeds (but hilly interstate, 4 passengers and luggage, with mileage only 31mpg)

Takehome: mileage ain't bad at all, but don't wish for the impossible.

2) Handling: Well, the wind blows it around more, and my Taurus cornered at high speeds a little better. But there is another poster here that really criticizes the Corolla's handling -- its not that bad. No sports car, but probably handles better than my 1979 Mustang did -- its all relative.

3) Interior room. It felt roomier in the test drive than the Civic (that was the major competition). It often leaves something to be desired compared to my taurus. There is no "just right" position for the seat. Even though I have long arms, the steering wheel feels a little too far away at times. And you can't get your arm out the window (using the door as a rest) when the seat is back.

However, the rear seat room and truck space are phenomenal for a small car like it is.

4) Parking -- How sweet it is. Those extra few inches really make it nice to park. When 15% of my commute time is consumed finding a parking space or getting into one, the Corolla's advantage shows.

5)expensive stereo -- WHAT is Toyota thinking selling a 6 disk changer that does not support mp3 files and has no external jack for an ipod or mp3 player? That being said, the sound is great.

6) Performance: Wish it had 20 HP LESS. That's right. Its not a sports car. Its transportation. I wonder what it would do with less engine in terms of mileage? Its got way a plenty HP to get you around. When we are paying $6 a gallon for gas, we will all drive like I do, and wonder what all that extra power is good for. Honestly, the couple time I have gave it even close to full throttle, its really scooted off. More than enough.

7)ABS and side airbags. Haven't tested these yet!! default_biggrin

Little peeves:

No remote trunk release. You need to use your key. I put my lab coat in my trunk before I get in the car every evening. And the opening for the key is surrounded by nice paint (as opposed to a chrome or stainless escutcheon) -- No doubt the paint will get scratched up from those "near misses" with the key.

Driver sun visor hits the rear view mirror when you put it down.

Oil all over when you change your own oil and filter.

Lot of stuff seems pretty flimsy underneath (but sometime well designed flimsy stuff lasts longer than heavy duty stuff that is poorly engineered.

Regrets:

Wish my Taurus has lasted another 2 years and given me time to order out a car with vehicle stabilization. As it stood, I was worried the Taurus was going to just drop me, so I moved fast (4 days) and didn't have time to order out exactly what I wanted.

So there are some first impressions, for whoever likes to read what new users think after 8 weeks and 2000 miles.

Cheers......

• 1,424 posts

You can fix that mirror/visor problem by adjusting the mirror. It has an adjustment that allows the mirror to move laterally near the winshield base. Push the mirror arm towards the passenger's side of the car and then re-adjust your mirror. This should solve your problem.

I own a 2005 LE which is similar to yours, but I have a sunroof and no SAB. I also have cruise, 6 disc, alloys and ABS. I special ordered mine because the dealer could not get me what I wanted otherwise.

The 6 disc doesn't support MP3 and Ipod because your average Corolla buyer is not of the MP3 Ipod generation.

The steering wheel/seat adjustment is a compromise between the Corolla and Matrix and is not that good.

A 9th generation Corolla gets tossed around in the wind. Better tires help, so do bigger wheels.

No remote trunk, what do you expect in a sub 20k car? A Corolla is an inexpensive car, not a cheap car, but an inexpensive one.

I wouldn't have waited the 3 months it took me to get mine (the dealer promised 60 days max, probably 45 days) just to get stability control. Let me tell you something about stability control. It isn't that great. In the car's I've driven with those systems, the systems wait too late to kick in and then they make you feel as if you're losing control of the car.

I read the CR report championing it, but they don't know jacksnip about cars. They make dumb remarks like "the Lincoln Towncar doesn't get good fuel economy, and the Corvette rides harshly." Well, a Towncar's mission is to provide luxury transportation, last time I checked luxury car buyers didn't look at EPA stickers. Corvettes are sports cars, they handle really well, that means they ride hard, again, sport car buyers don't want a soft ride, they want handling. Trust CR to rate blenders, leave cars to Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Road and Track.

"your average Corolla driver is not of the ipod/mp3 generation"

Huh? EVERYONE is of that generation these days, especially folks who are environmentally conscious.

"what do you expect from a sub 20k car?"

My Taurus cost less than 20k -- and it had a remote trunk release. OK, it crapped out at 96k miles. But that doesn't mean that the trunk release on the remote entry thingy is a bad thing!

I will need to try some different rubber when the OEM stuff wears out. Agreed that CR often cannot review cars correctly. But they are more objective than a lot of other sources that depend on ad revenues.

Thanks for tip on the rear view mirror.......

The 6 disc doesn't support MP3 and Ipod because your average Corolla buyer is not of the MP3 Ipod generation.

The steering wheel/seat adjustment is a compromise between the Corolla and Matrix and is not that good.

A 9th generation Corolla gets tossed around in the wind. Better tires help, so do bigger wheels.

No remote trunk, what do you expect in a sub 20k car? A Corolla is an inexpensive car, not a cheap car, but an inexpensive one.

I wouldn't have waited the 3 months it took me to get mine (the dealer promised 60 days max, probably 45 days) just to get stability control. Let me tell you something about stability control. It isn't that great. In the car's I've driven with those systems, the systems wait too late to kick in and then they make you feel as if you're losing control of the car.

Re: iPod jack: I'm 53 years old; and I own and use an iPod! It probably has different music on it than those of the so-called "iPod Generation," mainly 60's, 70's, and 80's "oldies," but I use it a lot! I think the lack of an MP3/iPod jack on the stereo system of any vehicle manufactured after, say, 2004, is a major omission!

My 2003 Corolla LE has a remote trunk release. However, my Corolla is a J-VIN model, built in Japan, 100% Japanese parts content. I haven't seen any J-VIN Corollas on the lots recently; I think they're all coming from California and Canada now. Did they really do away with the inside trunk release, or is the poster perhaps referring to a CE model?

What is this stability control thang, anyway? I never heard of it.

Max

My 03 CE, base as it can be, has a remote trunk release. It's right beside the gas cap door release. I'm with the rest of teh crew about tires. Ditch the OEs and get something better. I chose Bridegstone Turanza LS-T, and thee are good reviews of other tires, here, too, like Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred and Michelin Harmony.

By "remote trunk release" I am referring to a button on my keyless entry clicker.

I have a mechanical remote release next to the gas cap release beside the driver seat.

I would like a button on the keyless entry/alarm to also open the trunk. You'd be amazed how often getting a key into the trunk lock is a hassle, but pushing a button on the keyless entry is do-able (think hand full of groceries). Of course, my Taurus popped the truck up as well, as opposed to the Corolla which only opens an inch or so when its released.

Minor point -- as noted above, its amoung my "minor annoyances". But it was something that I discovered AFTER I had bought the car. I can't say that it would have changed my mind, only I would have even had more regrets getting rid of the Taurus. I traded the Taurus out of environmental and timing issues, not because I didn't like it.

Larry Roll -- VSC for Vehicle Stability Control is what Toyota calls it. Also called ESC for Electronic Stability Control automotive world. Whether you personally think it works or not, it is statistically associated with lower rates of accidents in identical cars equipped with it. Some car insurances will offer a discount for having it. It probably is most useful for poor or inexperienced drivers, and/or drivers that are pushing their car to the limits. It basically can adjust power/braking to tires for you in circumstances where you are on the verge of losing control. Autopilot in a sense, though it doesn't steer. In any case, Toyota puts it standard on a lot of their higher end models, but its only optional on a Corolla and it was simply not to be found on a car on a dealer's lot.

We have two 03 Corollas, a CE and an LE.

On both, the OEM tires could only be described as excrement. Replacing them with Michelins greatly improved road grip and stability in winds.

Congrats on your recent Rolla purchase.

Even though you might have some issues with the car now IMO it sure seems like a major improvement over my 01 Rolla (much less space, less trunk room). I don't think you should lament the lack of VSC on your car. The VSC system ties into the ABS wheel speed sensors, steering position sensors, and ABS actuator system to control the vehicle's yaw rate. I don't like the fact that it ties into non-redundant systems... like if your ABS craps out... suddenly you're without VSC too. Speaking of ABS, with that feature on your Rolla you'll have to be pretty religious about the brake fluid change intervals for the car. My siblings have an ABS-equipped 00 and the sensors are definitely sensitive to contaminants (metal particles) in the brake fluid. Bleeding them every year will go a long way to maintaining this expensive-to-fix feature.

Your gas mileage is on par with what you can expect from a Rolla if you use it for transporting 4 average sized adults. With gas pushing the C1.10/ L mark now I'm glad I thought twice about trading the Rolla in for a FJ Cruiser which gets 1/2 the mileage.

Cheers,

Max

By "remote trunk release" I am referring to a button on my keyless entry clicker.

Ah. I see now. I'd be annoyed about that, too.

Many car stereo and alarm install places can install a remote trunk release. I had one installed on my last car years ago. Shop around and you might be surprised that the price is more reasonable than you expect.

• 1,424 posts

Many car stereo and alarm install places can install a remote trunk release. I had one installed on my last car years ago. Shop around and you might be surprised that the price is more reasonable than you expect.

What kind of car was it? The reason I ask is that some cars have power trunk releases and all they have to do to add remote capability is run some wires. Our Corollas don't have a power release and so they would have to add wiring, button, solenoid, and then adjust the solenoid. That process can be done, but it isn't cheap. C.C. quoted me $200 to do it to my Contour that didn't have a power trunk release.

3) Interior room. It felt roomier in the test drive than the Civic (that was the major competition). It often leaves something to be desired compared to my taurus. There is no "just right" position for the seat. Even though I have long arms, the steering wheel feels a little too far away at times. And you can't get your arm out the window (using the door as a rest) when the seat is back.

However, the rear seat room and truck space are phenomenal for a small car like it is.

......................................................................................................

the lack of comfort and seating space in the front is why I would buy

a civic next time. Not ergonomic at all, Civic is superior.

Bikeman982

Someday I may purchase a newer car and it might be a Corolla. This information may help me to decide. For now I like my looks and gas mileage and handling of the 7th generation version, not to mention the roominess or price.

1) mileage

to be honest, i dont think i could get 30 mpg if i tried. im on my 7th tank now and the lowest mpg i have achieved is 37.2 mpg, and that was a 50/50 city/highway mix-- highest 44.6 highway only-70 mph. it is an 06 5 speed. can the manual be that much poorer? no offense, but if i was only gonna get 30 mpg i would not have been looking at a corolla.

1) mileage

to be honest, i dont think i could get 30 mpg if i tried. im on my 7th tank now and the lowest mpg i have achieved is 37.2 mpg, and that was a 50/50 city/highway mix-- highest 44.6 highway only-70 mph. it is an 06 5 speed. can the manual be that much poorer? no offense, but if i was only gonna get 30 mpg i would not have been looking at a corolla.

Is that Canadian mpg?

If it is, that's what I'm about getting on my car.

About 44-47 mpg (mostly highway) with the warmer weather here.

Bikeman982

I think your Corolla will last more than the 96,000 miles that your Taurus went. Glad you like the power - you must be a conservative driver if you think it is too much.

My 31.66 mpg is mixed driving, US Gallons. Automatic tranny. Driven quite conservatively.

I have read as well that a manual tranny will get a little better mileage, if you know how to drive it. If someone is getting over 40 mpg, US gallons, they must be very lucky, as I do not think that is common or perhaps even possible with a manual or automatic corolla, at least not a 2006.

Max

Many of us on the board get 40+ mg highway. I do so frequently. Not luck, but the good (read "smart") driving you mention.

What kind of car was it? The reason I ask is that some cars have power trunk releases and all they have to do to add remote capability is run some wires. Our Corollas don't have a power release and so they would have to add wiring, button, solenoid, and then adjust the solenoid. That process can be done, but it isn't cheap. C.C. quoted me $200 to do it to my Contour that didn't have a power trunk release.

It was bare bones 1989 Honda Civic DX.

My 31.66 mpg is mixed driving, US Gallons. Automatic tranny. Driven quite conservatively.

I have read as well that a manual tranny will get a little better mileage, if you know how to drive it. If someone is getting over 40 mpg, US gallons, they must be very lucky, as I do not think that is common or perhaps even possible with a manual or automatic corolla, at least not a 2006.

I havn't checked the mileage on our 2006 LE w/automatic yet. I'm waiting for a highway trip. Maybe your mileage will continue to improve as you get more miles and things loosen up a bit?

Many of us on the board get 40+ mg highway. I do so frequently. Not luck, but the good (read "smart") driving you mention.

same here. last 3 highway mostly tanks (80-90%)--06 5 spd

44.3 mpg

41.6 mpg

43.8 mpg

my highway driving is usually done at 70-72 mph

friendly_jacek

It boils down not so much to "smart" driving but slow driving.

In my 03 AT:

75mph-36mpg

77.5mph-33mpg

80mpg-31mpg

A/C robs additional 1-2mpg.

Where I live, driving 70mph is dangerous (too slow).

Bikeman982

If I drive 70MPH on my way to work people will be passing me and giving me dirty looks for driving so slow. The normal is closer to 75-85 MPH, although the limit is only 65MPH.

Bikeman982

wow, 10-20mph above the limit, that is significant. In nsw the authorities are VERY strict on speeding (in comparison to the US). Generally the rule is 10% - i.e. if you go more than 110kmh in a 100kmh zone, you will be booked if you are caught. In victoria its worse, there the margin is only 6%, so if you go 107 in a 100 zone, you will be booked if caught. This is only 4-5 mph; actually if you go over 130 (`82mph) on a freeway it is instant licence disqualification if caught.

I notice that the majority of people in sydney, in free travelling conditions obey the speed limit. However, out in the country if you are going 100 on the 100 limit roads (as I do), you will be passed by every car that is not piloted by an old person in a volvo....

I think in my area that the authorities know everyone is traveling too fast and they don't have the time or the initiative to stop them all. They concentrate on the accidents and people that are stranded on the side of the road. There is a lot of decreasing speed as a police car is spotted and also a lot of "Rubberneckers" (people slowing to look) at any accident scene.

Interesting read.

"2) Handling: Well, the wind blows it around more, and my Taurus cornered at high speeds a little better. But there is another poster here that really criticizes the Corolla's handling -- its not that bad. No sports car, but probably handles better than my 1979 Mustang did -- its all relative."

I beg to differ. There's a curvy road with some bump where I can go with 65 mph. But when I was driving 2005 Mustang, I felt the car is flying off at 55 mph. So my conclusion is that cornering may suck--to go along--, but handling shines.

"5)expensive stereo -- WHAT is Toyota thinking selling a 6 disk changer that does not support mp3 files and has no external jack for an ipod or mp3 player? That being said, the sound is great."

Despite the no external jack, the CD stereo on Corolla actually is feature-packed. Using the experience from driving Mustang, some cars don't have the option to change, tre, bass, left right front back, etc. Some don't have repeat or scan function.

"Little peeves:

No remote trunk release. You need to use your key. I put my lab coat in my trunk before I get in the car every evening. And the opening for the key is surrounded by nice paint (as opposed to a chrome or stainless escutcheon) -- No doubt the paint will get scratched up from those "near misses" with the key.

Driver sun visor hits the rear view mirror when you put it down."

I actually like the hand handle bar. Some ecnomy cars that I have driven have the remote trunk key, but no handle bar. So it's very inconvenient when people besides the driver want to access the trunk.

Visor, yeah, it bugs me from time to time too.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)