Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Head Unit

by wile E April 13, 2006

i replaced front speakers in 06 corolla. there was an improvement, but after a couple days, im still not satisfied. i think i may have to give in and replace the HU. this seems like the one thing that most people agree will make a big difference with stock speakers.

PROBLEM: has anyone put in a new HU that gives the corolla dash a fairly uniform look. i realize we are somewhat limited by the din kit. (they almost look to black, as the corolla dash is kind of a dull black)

many of the head units ive seen have too much silver and/or neon lights etc....is anyone pleased with the overall look of their aftermarket HU.

any pics would be terrific.

thanks.

I recently installed a Pioneer deh-p480mp in my 2000 corolla. I found that the aftermarket headunits are slightly longer than the factory radio and therefore protrude out of the dash by the width of the faceplate (only when faceplate is attached). Also, the trim basket that comes with most aftermarket headunits does not fit under the dash cover, I had to remove mine because the dash panel would not fit back in. I will post pics this weekend.

I still have factory speakers, but the difference that this headunit has made in the quality of sound is absolutely awesome. Although it is becoming obvious that factory speakers can hardly do justice to the HU.

• 1,424 posts
i replaced front speakers in 06 corolla. there was an improvement, but after a couple days, im still not satisfied. i think i may have to give in and replace the HU. this seems like the one thing that most people agree will make a big difference with stock speakers.

PROBLEM: has anyone put in a new HU that gives the corolla dash a fairly uniform look. i realize we are somewhat limited by the din kit. (they almost look to black, as the corolla dash is kind of a dull black)

many of the head units ive seen have too much silver and/or neon lights etc....is anyone pleased with the overall look of their aftermarket HU.

any pics would be terrific.

thanks.

I had a mid-line alpine unit. It wasn't sliver, it was a nice matte black, and it didn't have any neon, just plain green lettering. It had good sound quality, especially with the BBE turned on. It was highly similar to this

I have an Alpine and love it. I know what you mean about the mounting kit being a differnet color from the rest of the dash though. You could always paint the mounting kit before you install it. Get some flat black paint for plastic and have at it. As for the H/U itself, mine is a gunmetal color and looks pretty sweet and sounds a TON better than stock.

Dai_Shan

I have a Pioneer unit, and love it. I was very satisfied with the installation and styling. The highlights of greenish buttons and the light blue display coordinated with the green clock and the whiteish blue gauges. looks cool at night.

If i was to do it again.....i definnitly would.

circuit city had the bazooka el8a powered sub. $99. amp in this sub is only 50 watt. i thought id give this a try, so i had it put in and for me it was more than enough. im pleased and i saved my head unit. for now.

Topic List