Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

by 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Hi. Yesterday I was out driving my Corolla. I was on a stretch of open highway. I decided to see how fast it would go. I put the "pedal to the metal" and the car accelerated to 90. At that point, I chickened out. Why? Because every little bump on the road felt like a giant bump. I felt that I might lose control of the car if I went any faster.

Folks: please tell your stories of how fast you have gone or would go in your Corollas. You may have more courage / foolhardiness than I do. How fast do these things go anyway?

Dai_Shan

I think the fastest I have got mine going is 85....just got done with my "taken it easy" period. And I don't like to risk a super trooper catchin me going 20-40mph over the speed limit....eeeek(insurance)

In my 2001 Corolla LE 5-speed, I once had it up to around 90. It was an open stretch of highway, so there didn't seem to be any handling problems at that speed, although I wouldn' want to go that fast in a stiff crosswind! My present '03 Corolla LE automatic has never gone much above 70 (yet) and seems like it could handle being driven quite a bit faster than the '01. Having said that, I would never drive faster than about the normal 5 MPH "tolerance" above the posted speed limits, since I have a CDL and make my living with my driver's license. I can't afford to play silly games.

I reached around 85mph couple of times while driving from MA to NC and back.

I have a 2001 Corolla CE (3-speed auto), just pAssed 80,000 miles (long job commute).

Anyway, I pushed my Corolla to 108 - 110mph before (on a highway in Arizona Desert, no one around). As I stepped on my gas pedal harder, the car started shaking, and no matter how hard I stepped on it, the car just won't go faster (at least, according to my speed odometer). I guess the car is electronically limited to 110mph.

Oh, the above mentioned is purely fiction and for entertainment value only, if you're LE.

- uchok00 default_ph34r

I have a 2001 Corolla CE (3-speed auto), just pAssed 80,000 miles (long job commute).

Anyway, I pushed my Corolla to 108 - 110mph before (on a highway in Arizona Desert, no one around). As I stepped on my gas pedal harder, the car started shaking, and no matter how hard I stepped on it, the car just won't go faster (at least, according to my speed odometer). I guess the car is electronically limited to 110mph.

Oh, the above mentioned is purely fiction and for entertainment value only, if you're LE.

- uchok00 default_ph34r

Weren't you afraid that you would lose control of the car?

Weren't you afraid that you would lose control of the car?

Nah, I'm a Los Angeleno, I'm afraid of the traffic, but I'm not afraid of going too fast and lose control of the car..... default_biggrin

Beside, at that speed, the car seemed to be pretty stable. Of course, I was driving down a straight level highway in Arizona desert, during daytime.

I don't get to do that too often, by the way. I mean, in Los Angeles, I'll be lucky if I can hit 85mph on the freeway.....traffic.

- uchok00 default_ph34r

Guest davidkd

I once drove 25 miles in 12 minutes getting my prom date home in time.

But that was in my 1994 Accord, I got it up to 122. I thought I could actually see the gas gauge marker slowly moving down.

I got it up to 139mph in a stock 1984 Nissan 300zx, on a downgrade in New Mexica. In hindsight, that was a very stupid thing to do. Very dangerous.

Anyway, 90mph is my top speed in my 2004 ce corolla

I've gotten my '01 Corolla LE to 103mph-- but from 85mph to 103mph it seemed like it took hours to get there. Seems like the engine ran out of torque at that speed, and possbily there was also some slippage in the transmission with that wind resistance.

It didn't feel at all like I was about to lose control of the car, though-- it seemed to hold the road pretty nicely.

I put mine up to around 100mph, and it is a 94, i think it felt pretty stable fr the car that it is, but i wouldn't recommend it often. But do 70-80mph daily driving.

I hit something like 105 mph or so in my '93 Corolla. My nervousness at that point was mostly due to the fact that I'd never driven those speeds before.

coming back from moree on the newell highway i got my '00 up to 180kmh, or 112mph in the old money. at that point i think i hit the aerodynamic wall, i would need more power to go faster. i've been in a plane that was travelling faster, didn't really seem fast at all. about 4 hrs after that i was pulled over for doing 120 in a 100 zone. jokes on them, i'd be in jail had i been pulled over doing 70 over the limit! all i got was $200 fine and some licence points!

90 mph in Oscar and 210 mph in a Porsche that cost more than my first house

Guest rudyossanchez

i had a 93 1.8 corolla dx. with 130000 miles i live in miami once goin on the expressway i put the pedal to the metal belive it or not that 10 years old stock corolla made it to 105 miles before i relese the pedal due to an oncoming turn in the rod . hey i'm going to try it again. i let you know. default_cool peace

I've done around 100 or so on a bridge. i wasnt really paying any attention to the tachometer but i glance down and realized it and slowed down.

Guest RockinRolla

i wasnt really paying any attention to the tachometer

You mean spedometer, right?

Anywayz, whenever I hit 80 mph on my 98 CE, I can always hear a high-pitch whizzing sound. Then when I hit 85 mph, I backed down because I dunno if that high-pitch sound is normal or not and I don't want to do anything stupid to my engine/trans.

my '03 Corolla 5speed I pegged the speedo in Northern Michigan an an open stretch of freeway. I'd put it close to 125 with a slight decline in 4th gear near redline.

I've only taken my new '04 Accord 4-cylinder to 95mph to pass a long line of cars on a 2 lane road. There are too many cops in Iowa to mess with trying any faster.

beside...who cars how fast the car goes, when I have a 0.9L motorcycle that needs less than a mile of road to hit 170mph. pass a car in 3rd and you have ot lift off the throttle at 100mph just as you pass the front bumper. Oh and I still get between 45mpg.

Guest corollameover

wow 85 to 90 seems the norm....speed demons. j/k

ok fastest for long periods gos to my 98 contour. driving from mn to calif.

from ohmaha to denver i had the cruise at 95 mph. no lie.

with a gas stop in there. did that trip in 27 hours...with a 3 hour stop for rest. 2100 miles!!!

now as for fastest ever. my friends 95 dodge viper. went to 180 on the 405 at 3am.

fastest i have personally went. 137 in my 95 mustang gt.

contour. 105 top speed, govenor.

ranger. 112 top speed, govener.

escape. 117 top speed,govener.

the slowest top speed is my friends mazda b2200 truck. 86mph

Guest DocHolliday

Fastest I've been in my 04 Matrix was 110

Fastest in my ol Subaru XT was 115

Fastes in my old Subaru Legacy was 120 with the cruise control on default_blink

Guest G. Galvin Gunhold

Guest G. Galvin Gunhold

175kph. Had to slow down then since the speedometer only goes up to 180kph, and I was quickly running out of flat, straight road. Not sure what that is in mph, but I think it's around 105 -110.

i wasnt really paying any attention to the tachometer

You mean spedometer, right?

ooops lol yea

Guest corollas

ive gone to the endo of the speedo on my 04

i thinks thats like 117? i heard, and thats in 3rd gear

i still have 4th gear to top out but the damn govenor

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

(i have the auto default_sad )

Guest cheezer

to tell you the truth, i've maxed out my speedometer before..... and i was surprisingly not bad. i got a ticket for going 144 in and 80 zone, (in km/h) errrr.... haha,

Guest 90geoprizm

I have a 1990 geo prizm and I pegged out my speedo which is 110mph it helps to have a 5 speed

Topic List