Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Roger, March 28, 2006

Today, I learned that Toyota does not apply clear coat to their vehicles painted white... However, the body shop manager did not know why some manufacturers do not apply clear coat, Toyota being one of those manufacturers.. Any insight?? Thanks

Bikeman982

Today, I learned that Toyota does not apply clear coat to their vehicles painted white... However, the body shop manager did not know why some manufacturers do not apply clear coat, Toyota being one of those manufacturers.. Any insight?? Thanks

Is that the new Toyotas or all white Toyotas?? I have two 7th generation Toyota Corollas that are white.

Max

Some flat finishes don't get clear coat, but all metallic finishes do. However, it seems to me that Toyota DOES clear coat all its cars. You can visit toyota.com and click on "Ask Toyota" for a definitive answer.

• 1,424 posts

All metallic, peral, and mica paints get clear coat. White doesn't fall into any one of these categories as it is a flat paint, although there are exceptions such as:

Diamond White

Whitewater

White Pearl

Flat black is typically clear coated because it fades so badly so quickly if it isn't clear coated. White does not fade like black and so most times it gets no clear coat.

Bikeman982

All metallic, peral, and mica paints get clear coat. White doesn't fall into any one of these categories as it is a flat paint, although there are exceptions such as:

Diamond White

Whitewater

White Pearl

Flat black is typically clear coated because it fades so badly so quickly if it isn't clear coated. White does not fade like black and so most times it gets no clear coat.

What about - "Super White"? That is the color of my two cars.

Max

Super White is flat paint.

Bikeman982

I thought flat paint was dull looking. My "Super white" does not look dull!

• 1,424 posts

No flat paint isn't dull, matte paint is dull. Flat paint is simply gloss paint without any additional metallic flake added to it for shimmer. Matte paint on the other hand is paint with no metallic shimmer or gloss added to it. Thus matte paint is dull. Matte paint on cars is in black or gunmetal gray, and then it is only an accent.

Bikeman982

No flat paint isn't dull, matte paint is dull. Flat paint is simply gloss paint without any additional metallic flake added to it for shimmer. Matte paint on the other hand is paint with no metallic shimmer or gloss added to it. Thus matte paint is dull. Matte paint on cars is in black or gunmetal gray, and then it is only an accent.

Thanks. I am not much of a paint expert. I just thought that cars that have shiny apperances were painted with gloss paint.

I was always under the impression "Clear Coat" was designed to protect paint, prolong its high gloss, and reduce damage and deterioration caused by the elements.

1. Why would flat paint NOT have clear coat protection.?

2. Is flat paint not prone to damage?

Of course it is.... Therefore, what is protecting flat paint. And the imperative questions is:

3. Does flat paint (are there others besides white?) require additional care, OR another type of care that clear coat would have provided????

And lastly, the lack of clear coat on white painted vehicles may be the reason it that color seems to oxidize more rapidly than the other colors. I have a white one.

A point to ponder: Vehicles with flat paint should be $125 cheaper on the sticker.......After all, it has 3 fewer applications or layers with the paint gun having not applied clear coat as opposed to a metallic colored vehicle which has the additional layers.

1. Why would flat paint NOT have clear coat protection?

Of course it is.... Therefore, what is protecting flat paint. And the imperative questions is:

3. Does flat paint (are there others besides white?) require additional care, OR another type of care that clear coat would have provided????

And lastly, the lack of clear coat on white painted vehicles may be the reason it that color seems to oxidize more rapidly than the other colors. I have a white one.

A point to ponder: Vehicles with flat paint should be $125 cheaper on the sticker.......After all, it has 3 fewer applications or layers with the paint gun having not applied clear coat as opposed to a metallic colored vehicle which has the additional layers.

1. Why would flat paint NOT have clear coat protection?

Flat paint does not need it as much as metallics and some pigmented paint. Clear coat helps give the paint some "depth", this is not as noticable on solid pigment paints.

Not really. Don't think of clear coat as an armor coating on paint. Clear coat is actually just another layer of paint - you still have to take care of it as regular paint, but can be even more sensitive to some products (ie. abrasive products can ruin a clear coat).

Care between the two are basically the same. Good coat of sealer and wax would protect your finish. Clear coat finishes have to use products that are safe for it. Look at cars that have that rich, impossibly glossy surface - you can bet that most do not have a clear coat. That's because you can control the layer of paint, with clear coat - if the base coat is so-so, nothing you can do to the clear coat will remedy this. To some, clear coat means more work.

- Sometime they do charge less for non-clearcoated finishes. Depends on what the manufacturer. Also keep in mind that base coat/clear coat system are designed to work in tandem. You're not getting less paint with your finish, just how they apply the paint. I've worked on both - usually I shoot 5-7 layers minimum of regular paint vs 3-4 layers of base paint with 2-3 layers of clear.

Topic List