Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla Safety

by ycr99, March 15, 2006

So, today on my way to OSU campus, I noticed that Olentangy Rd and Bethel was backed up. When i got a chance to look at the accident, it was a 3 car accident between a Corolla, Cavalier and Hyundai (Sentra???)

The Hyundai was totalled, the Cavalier had to be towed...suprisingly from my vantage point the Corolla appeared unscathed...,but it was obvious not where it was supposed to be...(it was on the lawn of a private school)

From the appearance it was a 9th gen (03~06) CE...

I guess that corolla was really lucky and didn't get hit, but the Hyundai was totalled...

So, I have to wonder, is the 9th gen CE safer than the 8th gen. LE? (Both don't have side/curtain airbags), when in an accident involving those cars mentioned above.

Why don't you find out and let us all know. You can start by crashing them in to the wall and give us the result.

Bikeman982

I think every accident is different and no conclusive evidence can be obtained from other than extensive testing. You may see one survive an accident, but that is not a true indication of overall survivability.

go to www.nrma.com.au, and follow the links to the motoring and then crash testing (ANCAP program).

You will find whilst the 8th generation got a 71% rating (3stars) the 9th gen got 85% (4stars). In fact, under testing conditions, the side impact rating was perfect. Considering that all vehicles in question are roughly the same size, you'll survive in a 9th gen where you may not in an 8th gen.

Newer, safer vehicles are a key factor why in NSW the 'fatality/km travelled' has decreased from 4.4 in 1970 to around one today.

Bikeman982

go to www.nrma.com.au, and follow the links to the motoring and then crash testing (ANCAP program).

You will find whilst the 8th generation got a 71% rating (3stars) the 9th gen got 85% (4stars). In fact, under testing conditions, the side impact rating was perfect. Considering that all vehicles in question are roughly the same size, you'll survive in a 9th gen where you may not in an 8th gen.

Newer, safer vehicles are a key factor why in NSW the 'fatality/km travelled' has decreased from 4.4 in 1970 to around one today.

That is the purpose for redesigning with better safety devices and considerations. No car will ever be 100% safe, but they are getting better every time they are upgraded. Combine that with better driver education and improved roads and it will help prevent accidents, injuries and deaths.

damn it...at this rate i will always be one step behind...

I don't want to drive tomorrow...snow storm coming, but since there is lack of public transportation what choice do I have, besides walking...which I wouldn't do w/the people on the road...

Bikeman982

I don't want to drive tomorrow...snow storm coming, but since there is lack of public transportation what choice do I have, besides walking...which I wouldn't do w/the people on the road...

Don't worry, it is not costing you as much.

Walking is cheaper on gas, and better exercise than driving.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - a smaller car is always going to be on the losing end when you get hit by a larger vehicles. Just make sure that the rest of the car is up to spec - good tires, good brakes, decent tuneup - and keeping your eyes open - that will help you avoid most of the little "oops" type of accidents.

I hear you on the snow storm - Ohio is not the keenest state keeping the roads clear (I grew up in NE Ohio). Some roads are great - some don't get ever get plowed. Public transportation is a joke.

DC Metro area is much better for public transportation - but probably at least an order of magnitude worse for the number of knuckle-heads driving (more of their lack of driving skills). Everyone freaks out when there is even any hint of snow, this week, they will probably close half the school systems with even an inch of accumulation - totally insane.

Just drive when you have to - stay off the roads if you do not.

how about skis? goes with the snow. default_biggrin

however, the snow doesn't always accumilate enough to use skis...

Even when there is no snow, accidents will happen, sometimes in places where you think how in the world does that happen??

One example, to my knowledge, the Columbus metropolitan area seems to be the only location w/an increase in wrong way accidents...

I don't use highways/interstates enough to know for sure, but even <b>I</b> am pretty sure they mark all off ramps w/ "Do not Enter"...and twice...maybe now 3 times now that these accidents are increasing...

I think these accidents are another reason why Ohio needs public transit...

• 1,424 posts
however, the snow doesn't always accumilate enough to use skis...

Even when there is no snow, accidents will happen, sometimes in places where you think how in the world does that happen??

One example, to my knowledge, the Columbus metropolitan area seems to be the only location w/an increase in wrong way accidents...

I don't use highways/interstates enough to know for sure, but even <b>I</b> am pretty sure they mark all off ramps w/ "Do not Enter"...and twice...maybe now 3 times now that these accidents are increasing...

I think these accidents are another reason why Ohio needs public transit...

Ohio will never have public transit because they have neither the money nor the will. Ohio is a rather progressive state in some ways and a rather backward state in others. For instance, Ohio made the machines that made the machines that allowed us to have the mechanical superiority to win WWII. Ohio is also tied with Virginia for the most number of presidents from a state. However, Ohio still has a stupid law on the books that bans alcohol sales on Sunday, and it was originally enacted for religious reasons. Mass transit is one of those things that is just a little too progressive for Ohio to latch onto. Plus, since much of Ohio is rural, mass transit would be available to only a small portion of the state's population.

These accidents that you speak of are also a problem that Ohio doesn't deal well with. ODOT does a pitiful job of marking things and planning highways compared to West Virginia, Michigan or Indiana to name a few. The road signs are sometimes confusing as to what highway is where, how to get from one place to another, and there are several freeways in the state that are downright dangerous to enter and exit. I-70 to I-75, SR-27 to I-275 and I-275 to I-71 are all examples of dangerous freeways to enter or exit. ODOT placed the exit and entrance ramps on these highways too close to one another, and you have traffic trying to merge right to exit and traffic trying to merge left to enter all within 500 feet of one another. This frequently leads to accidents where people sideswipe each other while switching lanes to enter or exit.

Another thing Ohio does poorly, at least in central and southern Ohio, is preparing for winter weather. They don't seem to understand that Salt and KCL are preventivitive measures that you apply before a snowstorm to keep the roads from becoming unsafe. Instead they salt after 15 people have died on I-71 North because they slid into one another. They also don't seem to understand the art of plowing snow.

Thirdly, Ohio's driver's training program is inadequate at best when it comes to preparing drivers for the real world. A driving test in Ohio amounts to a vision test when compared to Michigan's driving test. Also, MI lets one get their permit at 14 and 9 months, and requires them to keep a log of their driving (50 hours daytime, 10 hours nighttime). Ohio has no such log, and just requires a form that says I drove 50 hours with my parent, which is usually signed by the parent regardless of the fact that their child didn't have 50 hours of driving time. Ohio doesn't grant permits until 15 and a half. Michiganders have 9 more months of driving under their belt by 16 than Ohioans do. In Michigan, the driver's training program is a two part course. Part one is classroom instruction totaling 25 hours and road training totaling 10 hours. It takes a month or more to complete. Then you must wait so many months and take part two. Part two is a refresher and refinement classroom instruction deal. You talk about driving experiences, etc. It lasts 8 hours. Ohio has a one part course that doesn't require as much car time or classroom instruction.

Also, my Michigan driver's training consisted of us driving on M-53, M-59, I-696, I-75, and on many busy, busy streets like Mound, Van Dyke, Ryan, and Rochester. Streets that easily had 60,000 cars on them every 12 hours. In my local area in Ohio, the driver's training consists of them driving up and down a state highway running through town which is speed limited to 35 MPH. This road is 5 lanes, but almost never are there more than 30 cars on it at a given time. For freeway driving, they drive on I-35 for 12 or so miles and back. The thing is that on that section of I-35, there is never anything but local traffic to and from an outlet mall, it is nothing like M-59 or I-696. However, sadly this isn't what most of their time is spent doing, most of their time is spent driving around in my subdivision at 20 MPH.

A less intensive course, coupled with a shorter learning time before licensure, a less rigerous road skills program, and the fact that most 16 year olds in Ohio didn't drive 50 hours with their parents leads to poor driving skills from the start and a lifetime of poor driving for everyone else to put up with.

These things all in concert give Ohio a disadvantage when it comes to motoring and contribute to the number of accidents we have.

Those are fairly extensive testing compared to what is acceptable here in the DC Metro area (at least Northern Virginia). Here to get a driver's license - one needs to complete the computer based written test (nothing to do with actual driving - many questions pertain to statistics) and a road skills test. The road skills test is a joke - basically driving around the block next to the testing center - that's it. No manuverability, no or little highway, nothing. My wife finished her driving test in about 10 minutes, maybe traveled 2 miles in total.

friendly_jacek

You mean you guys average 1 person killed per km traveled?

Bikeman982

Those are fairly extensive testing compared to what is acceptable here in the DC Metro area (at least Northern Virginia). Here to get a driver's license - one needs to complete the computer based written test (nothing to do with actual driving - many questions pertain to statistics) and a road skills test. The road skills test is a joke - basically driving around the block next to the testing center - that's it. No manuverability, no or little highway, nothing. My wife finished her driving test in about 10 minutes, maybe traveled 2 miles in total.
I have been a non-resident military living in California for the past 20 years and now that I have retired and separated from the military I need to get a California driver's license. I took my only driving test when I lived in Massachusetts when I was 16 and that was in 1970. Since then I have driven all over the world and all over California, without anyone testing my ability to do it correctly.

I think when I do the driving test for California it will just be a written (multiple choice) exam. I got the little book that specifies speed limits and rules of the road. A few minutes of studying that should allow me to pass the test. Then I will still be driving with only one actual (very simple) driving test in 36 years. What does that say about driver education??

In NSW getting a licence is as follows:

- 16 years: get a learner licence via computer road rules test.

- 17 years: do the Driving Ability Road Test. Also whilst a learner you require a logbook, and you need to do 50 hours driving experience with some of it at night and some of it in the wet. You get a red 'P' licence

- 18 yrs: do the Hazard Perception Test. computer based, is about identifying and reacting to hazards I believe, also does items on stopping distances, following spaces etc. You get a Green 'P' licence

- 20 yrs: do the Driver Knowledge Test. Kinda like the HPT but with a couple of new things. You get an unrestricted passenger car licence.

99Contour is true on much of those points.

Many ohioans don't drive much else except their neighborhoods, and many 'road trips' consist of freeways that are not as packed as other places.

(I would be content to drive like that forever, but I know in the long run it won't be realistic)

Bikeman982

- 17 years: do the Driving Ability Road Test. Also whilst a learner you require a logbook, and you need to do 50 hours driving experience with some of it at night and some of it in the wet. You get a red 'P' licence

- 18 yrs: do the Hazard Perception Test. computer based, is about identifying and reacting to hazards I believe, also does items on stopping distances, following spaces etc. You get a Green 'P' licence

- 20 yrs: do the Driver Knowledge Test. Kinda like the HPT but with a couple of new things. You get an unrestricted passenger car licence.

So after 20 yrs you are good until you drop??

You have to get a 4Runner for those bad winter day's. default_biggrin

Bikeman982

You have to get a 4Runner for those bad winter day's. default_biggrin

Just call in sick, like everyone else does.

all is fine and dandy until the age of 80 when you need an annual medical check-up until you drop. When you hit 85 you need an annual driving test, too.

In addition you cannot accumulate more than 12 demerit points within any 3 year period, otherwise its by-bye licence for 3 months. For example:

driving at 0-15 kmh over the limit is 3 points; so is driving at 15-30.

Talking on a hand-held mobile is 3 ponts.

Not wearing youseatbelt is 3 points.

Having your stereo way too loud is 2 points.

Failing to indicate whilst turning is 2 points

I personally have 6 points - I was caught doing 120 in a 100 zone on a long weekend (doubling the points)

The biggest difference is in NSW if you are stopped for a random breath test and do not comply with the officers instructions and refuse to take the test, you will be arrested, and a mug shot will be taken.

Bikeman982

all is fine and dandy until the age of 80 when you need an annual medical check-up until you drop. When you hit 85 you need an annual driving test, too.

In addition you cannot accumulate more than 12 demerit points within any 3 year period, otherwise its by-bye licence for 3 months. For example:

driving at 0-15 kmh over the limit is 3 points; so is driving at 15-30.

Talking on a hand-held mobile is 3 ponts.

Not wearing youseatbelt is 3 points.

Having your stereo way too loud is 2 points.

Failing to indicate whilst turning is 2 points

I personally have 6 points - I was caught doing 120 in a 100 zone on a long weekend (doubling the points)

The biggest difference is in NSW if you are stopped for a random breath test and do not comply with the officers instructions and refuse to take the test, you will be arrested, and a mug shot will be taken.

You probably don't have many drivers much over 80.

Do the demerits start over each year or is it a rotating year and you can't get 12 demerit points within the last 12 months?

Hand-held mobile, is that a cell phone?

How loud is way too loud for a stereo?

Turn signals are they directionals or hand signals?

we still have plenty of 80 yo+ drivers, and they still get into fatal crashes. My nan is about to turn 85, it looks like she's still gonna terrorise those who walk on footpaths for another 12 months default_tongue

the demerit point system works like this - on april 25 2004 I got my speeding ticket (6 points). On april 25 2007 if i keep out of trouble, those points go back to zero, however my infringment is with me for good. for more info check out www.rta.nsw.gov.au

cellphones are called 'mobiles' in OZ

the turn signals may be directional or hand, though its really rare to see people use hand signals. cyclists obviously still do. as for the stereos, i guess if it is that loud that it disturbs/distracts other road users its liable to be fined. Not to worry, I don't think anyone will take offence to my beatles cd collection...

default_tongue

Bikeman982

we still have plenty of 80 yo+ drivers, and they still get into fatal crashes if the emails I get every morning are anything to go by. My nan is about to turn 85, it looks like she's still gonna terrorise those who walk on footpaths for another 12 months default_tongue

the demerit point system works like this - on april 25 2004 I got my speeding ticket (6 points). On april 25 2007 if i keep out of trouble, those points go back to zero, however my infringment is with me for good. for more info check out www.rta.nsw.gov.au

cellphones are called 'mobiles' in OZ

the turn signals may be directional or hand, though its really rare to see people use hand signals. cyclists obviously still do. as for the stereos, i guess if it is that loud that it disturbs/distracts other road users its liable to be fined. Not to worry, I don't think anyone will take offence to my beatles cd collection...

default_tongue

Good luck to your nan.

So the demerit system is for a rotating 12 month period.

I kind of thought mobiles were cell phones. You guys talk funny. (just different).

I always use directionals.

If it is too loud for me I think it should be open hunting season on those cars.

I like the Beatles !!

Topic List