Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Smell Of Gas Only When I Start The Car?

Guest ChrisW

Hello, I just got a 1993 Corolla. While the dealer said everything was A-okay (and who believes them!), when I start my car there is a distinct smell of gas coming from the exhaust. It dissipates after a few minutes. Any of you have any idea what this is?

Thank you very much!

my best guess is that, when one cranks the engine, the first bursts of the injectors occurs early but the ignition is not firing until slightly afterwards. This causes a tiny burst of unburnt gas to pulse out from the exhaust pipe... Not a problem... (1999 Le Corolla) Jim R.

This sounds normal to me.

When the engine is cold, the engine uses a little more fuel until the vehicle is warmed up. When the vehicle is warm, the computer relies more on oxygen sensor input and other data to regulate fuel.

Bikeman982

Hello, I just got a 1993 Corolla. While the dealer said everything was A-okay (and who believes them!), when I start my car there is a distinct smell of gas coming from the exhaust. It dissipates after a few minutes. Any of you have any idea what this is?Thank you very much!
Does the smell come from the tailpipe, or is it just an odor you notice when you start it up??

unless it seems like it takes a long time to start the engine, I'd say it's normal. I always smell a litlte bit on most every car I've owned. My motorcycles were much worse about this... especially the carbeurated one I have now. Very cold blooded. It takes a little extra TLC to coax it to start up when it's been sitting a while.

i think this smell is normal and nothing to worry about. has happened to me too.

Bikeman982

I don't have the smell of gas coming from my exhaust, but if my car sits for a few days and then I go to start it, I get a little white smoke. It goes away after a minute or two and is not present at all after the car is warmed up.

Topic List