Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Cars With Engine Changes.

by Bikeman982, February 1, 2006

Bikeman982

Here is a good question about the originality of the engine and the tranny. I always thought that the title to the car should state why the mileage is not as indicated on the odometer. I am about to change out the motor to my car and am also wondering where that should be indicated (for the next owner's benefit - should it be sold). Does anyone know the legal ramifications and requirements for autos with changed engines/transmissions?? Does the mileage indicated on the title correspond to the cars body mileage, or the engines?

if you put in a new engine and trans you get to cut the mileage in half when you goto figure out the value, or so ive heard.

I don't think you can change the mileage, because the chassis itself still has those miles on it. It's something that you mention during a trade-in or selling the car. It could increase the value, but on the other hand, unless the car has over 150,000 miles, it may indicate abuse, or extreme service (such as delivery or lots of city driving). This would tip off a savy buyer that the rest of the vehicle has seen hard miles. For title purposes, I'm pretty sure that the engine is considered a replaceable part.

I'll also note that a vehicle with more than 150,000 miles on it is worth less than the typical cost of replacing the engine, (unless it DIY). Ususally people that replace engines in economy cars intend to use the vehicle, not sell it.

Bikeman982

Good points. So if the engine is considered a replaceable part then the mileage is actually corresponding to the chasis and body. Does anyone know how the odometers work? I heard that if they are tampered with it will cause them to break or indicate tampering? I know the mileage goes on the titles in California, but what would be considered a reason that the mileage would not be as indicated and disclosed on the title as being different than actual mileage? I know if you change the odometer (instrument cluster) that it would not be accurate for the car and needs to be disclosed on the title. What other reasons would there be?

if you put in a new engine and trans you get to cut the mileage in half when you goto figure out the value, or so ive heard.

Half? Where would that information be declared? I would think it can't change the body or chasis wear and tear. What if a used engine and/or tranny was put in with some mileage already on it/them?

If you change the engine, you can advertize that part of your car if you ever sell it. It probably won't acually help out that much. If you are changing your engine, you are probably going to drive the car in to the ground anyway.

I don't know about California, but in a lot of states, cars only need to have varified milage untill the car is 8-10 years old. I think in Illinois it's only 8 years old?!?!? After that, a dealer doesn't have to prove anything. Buy at your own risk.

Odomitors can still be turned back. I've never done it, but I knew someone who did to keep his warranty. It worked. The dealer didn't know. The trick is to never go past any recorded milage. It might be harder with the electronic gages now days, but I'm sure it can still be done. I don't know how to do it, but I bet it can be done without a trace of it ever being done.

Bikeman982

If you change the engine, you can advertize that part of your car if you ever sell it. It probably won't acually help out that much. If you are changing your engine, you are probably going to drive the car in to the ground anyway.

I don't know about California, but in a lot of states, cars only need to have varified milage untill the car is 8-10 years old. I think in Illinois it's only 8 years old?!?!? After that, a dealer doesn't have to prove anything. Buy at your own risk.

Odomitors can still be turned back. I've never done it, but I knew someone who did to keep his warranty. It worked. The dealer didn't know. The trick is to never go past any recorded milage. It might be harder with the electronic gages now days, but I'm sure it can still be done. I don't know how to do it, but I bet it can be done without a trace of it ever being done.

Thanks. If I ever do sell it, of course I will use the information about an engine change as one of the better points for the sale. Like you said, I will probably keep it for many more years and just drive it until it is no longer advantageous to keep it.

I think in California the mileage is always indicated on the title and it does not matter how old the car is. It is updated when the car is sold to reflect the mileage at the time of purchase.

Maybe I will check out the odometer. I don't think it would be ethically advisable to turn it back, since it still should indicate the chasis/body mileage. I was just wondering if anyone had heard that it would shows signs of tampering if it was altered. The recorded mileage would only be on the title and probably no where else. My car is older and used and I never take it to any dealerships. I usually do all the work myself and if I can't a repair service station does it. I don't think they declare vehicle mileage to anyone. The only thing that would indicate it is the smog checks in California and that is every two years.

the half thing may be for newer cars under a certain number of years/miles, ive just heard it around from various people

Bikeman982

the half thing may be for newer cars under a certain number of years/miles, ive just heard it around from various people
Well I do believe that a car that has had a major change, such as engine and/or transmission should be valued higher than one that has not since it could probably last longer than with the original components. If life expectance of vehicles could be calculated, you could consider the mileage of the changed components and it would be added by a corresponding percentage increase of the component. As an example a car that had an engine change with an engine could be a 50% increase in value providing the engine was new or had very low mileage on it. Should the engine have 50,000 miles on it, the value of the car may not be increased as much - say only 25%, since the engine may not last quite as long. Either way, it has no significance if the car is retained by the owner and is driven into the ground.

It might be harder with the electronic gages now days, but I'm sure it can still be done. I don't know how to do it, but I bet it can be done without a trace of it ever being done.
It's not even harder... there was talk about that on TV about a year ago; it can be done in 15 minutes for somewhere around 100$ (maybe less, don't recall for sure). An expert who inspected the car afterwards said it was undetectable even if he looked for it. That might not be true for all cars but it was certainly the case of several newer cars they showed on the show.
It might be harder with the electronic gages now days, but I'm sure it can still be done. I don't know how to do it, but I bet it can be done without a trace of it ever being done.

It's not even harder... there was talk about that on TV about a year ago; it can be done in 15 minutes for somewhere around 100$ (maybe less, don't recall for sure). An expert who inspected the car afterwards said it was undetectable even if he looked for it. That might not be true for all cars but it was certainly the case of several newer cars they showed on the show.

I think the electronic odometers use a simple electronic counter that recieves an input (pulse) from the ECU indicating that a given distance has been traveled. A small chip will store the number of counts as a binary code. If you can reprogram or replace that memory chip... the displayed number will change.

There's a lot of speculation here, but this is how I'd expect them to work. They are definitely not directly tied to the ECU.

Well I do believe that a car that has had a major change, such as engine and/or transmission should be valued higher than one that has not since it could probably last longer than with the original components. If life expectance of vehicles could be calculated, you could consider the mileage of the changed components and it would be added by a corresponding percentage increase of the component. As an example a car that had an engine change with an engine could be a 50% increase in value providing the engine was new or had very low mileage on it. Should the engine have 50,000 miles on it, the value of the car may not be increased as much - say only 25%, since the engine may not last quite as long. Either way, it has no significance if the car is retained by the owner and is driven into the ground.

I think the replace engine/transmission only adds value in a private party sale.

My wife worked in dealer finance for a while. The wholesalers would DEDUCT money if a car had an engine or transmission replaced regardless of the mileage. Granted, most of us doing an engine replacement have vehicles with higher mileage and wouldn't be trading in the vehicle any way.

As far as disclosing the engine change, I think it varies by state. Here is WI, we need to file paperwork with the DMV on the block change. Not sure if this shows up on a title or not.

Bikeman982

I think the replace engine/transmission only adds value in a private party sale.

My wife worked in dealer finance for a while. The wholesalers would DEDUCT money if a car had an engine or transmission replaced regardless of the mileage. Granted, most of us doing an engine replacement have vehicles with higher mileage and wouldn't be trading in the vehicle any way.

As far as disclosing the engine change, I think it varies by state. Here is WI, we need to file paperwork with the DMV on the block change. Not sure if this shows up on a title or not.

If a new car from a dealer required an engine change I can see why value would be deducted. It is supposed to have gone thru a quality control process that would prevent that from occuring. You would have to wonder what else would be wrong with that same car - maybe the QA person was sick that day!

A private party sale would use an engine/tranny change as a plus, especially for a high mileage vehicle. Most parts can be changed on a car and all have a limited life. Sometimes they fail prematurely and also for associated component malfunctions. A used car with high mileage and a new engine is better than a used car with high mileage and the original engine (providing it was a good engine properly installed).

In California the title or registration (as far as I know) does not have to indicate an engine/tranny change. There is a place on the registration to indicate if there is a mileage on the vahicle that is not the same as the odometer. The only reason I can see where it might be different is if the instrument cluster that contains the odometer is changed.

Bikeman982

I did change the odometer reading (I set it back to zero), when I changed the engine.

At the CA DMV they said any car that was over 10 years old did not have any law or problem changing the odometer.

My car read 0000000 and I have a working used engine in it. It originally had 231,000 on the odometer.

I insured and registered the car today and took it for a 65 mile drive.

No CEL, everything worked fine.

Good car and now it is on the first tank of gas that I have ever put in it.

I will see how many miles I get on the tank.

I'm surprised.......goes against everything I've ever heard.

I wouldn't touch a car that had its odometer tampered with.....for whatever reason.

I did change the odometer reading (I set it back to zero)...............At the CA DMV they said any car that was over 10 years old did not have any law or problem changing the odometer.

Bikeman982

I'm surprised.......goes against everything I've ever heard.

I wouldn't touch a car that had its odometer tampered with.....for whatever reason.

I did change the odometer reading (I set it back to zero)...............At the CA DMV they said any car that was over 10 years old did not have any law or problem changing the odometer.

I plan to sell the car and of course will disclose the body mileage and the engine mileage.

I will let the buyer know that I set back the odometer and nothing will be hidden by me.

It is not illegal to tamper with the odometer in CA with a car that is over 10 years old.

That's the fact, that the DMV who told me.

There is something to be said for looking at an odometer that has 0000000 miles on it.

It is an awesome feeling - even if you know it is not actual mileage.

Send me your 10 year old odometers and I will set yours back too.

I'm in Massachusetts. I'm ignorant of our odometer laws but I doubt our laws are written as yours in California. I don't think they would want to give the swindlers another chance at tampering with odometers.

I know a guy that used to do them for the dealerships in the area.....and I mean the big three not just the little ones. He'd get a call when they had 5 or 6 to do.

I think the mileage is uploaded during inspection now also.....not sure.

The only time I would consider a car that was zeroed out is the case of a frame off fully restored classic.

I really see no reason to zero an odometer. I keep a record of maintenance on each of my cars and I hand that over to the next owner. An engine or transmission change would be documented there with date and mileage of the vehicle and mileage of the replacement.

Bikeman982

I'm in Massachusetts. I'm ignorant of our odometer laws but I doubt our laws are written as yours in California. I don't think they would want to give the swindlers another chance at tampering with odometers.

I know a guy that used to do them for the dealerships in the area.....and I mean the big three not just the little ones. He'd get a call when they had 5 or 6 to do.

I think the mileage is uploaded during inspection now also.....not sure.

The only time I would consider a car that was zeroed out is the case of a frame off fully restored classic.

I really see no reason to zero an odometer. I keep a record of maintenance on each of my cars and I hand that over to the next owner. An engine or transmission change would be documented there with date and mileage of the vehicle and mileage of the replacement.

That's a good point. I always keep a record of maintenance for my cars.

This car came from e-Bay with no records of any kind.

I was checking the instrument bulbs and fiddled with the speedometer/odometer.

I accidently switched the mileage and could not get it back to what it was, so I set it to zero, which was easier.

I also thought it was a way to track the mileage from when I put it on the road, after being in my garage for repair for 8 months.

I do have the original mileage and can just add that to whatever the odometer reads, to get an accurate total.

I have no idea how to do the electronic versions.

The DMV accepted 000000 as the mileage on the odometer for registration and the smog test station today accepted 111 miles as the amount for the test.

It passed the emission test and now I can get the little stickers for the license plate.

The car is insured, registered and smog tested. Legal in California.

Bikeman982

The car was sold last month and as far as I can tell, there was no problem with the new owner and the Department of Motor Vehicles.

The odometer read only 200 miles and it is different than the actual mileage.

The engine was changed (the one I put in had about 70,000 miles on it) and the actual car body had 231,000 miles.

I wonder how many more miles it can go??

Topic List