Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Supercharger Plus Aftermarker Intake

by jhavens, January 27, 2006

So I just bought a trd supercharger and was reading the the install manual and they said that it was critical not to use an aftermarket intake with the supercharger b/c of air to fuel ratio. So, are they just saying that b/c they don't want you to use an aftermarket intake or will it really mess up the air/fuel mixture? I have an aftermarket air intake on right now and I don't mind getting rid of it once I get the supercharger, but I'd rather not get rid of it if I don't have to.

People I've seen use the two together have WI and electronic AF control.

TRD/Toyota just wants to cover their butts. I've seen TRD S/C with CAI - just have to make sure that the ECM can handle the extra air. If you run just the TRD S/C with the piggyback computer and 5th injector with the kit - it was optimized and tested with the stock airbox. If you went with a programmable fuel computer and water injection that jupiterboy mentioned - an aftermarket intake should pose no problem. TRD doesn;t want people just hooking up an aftermarket intake that may or may not have everything setup correctly and run the risk of leaning out the engine.

Holy smokes - I know they push the A/F ratio down, but I didn't realize it was that rich. Good link - thanks. I'll have to check 9thgencorolla more often.

I can almost guarantee that if you change the A/F ration even teh slightest, it will no longer meet the tight emissions standards. TRD designed the ECU program to match to supercharger with the specifed intake to meet emissions standards. If the engine is runing too rch or lean you can destroy the very expensive catalytic converter.

Topic List