Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By friendly_jacek, January 25, 2006

friendly_jacek

White ford focus parked next to my white corolla S (03) and I was shocked how the shapes of these cars were similar. From a distance, the fronts were almost indistinguishable. Anyone else noticed that?

default_huh

Maybe they were covered in snow, otherwise I disagree.

Max

I don't see a resemblance at all. Focus is one of my least favorite designs.

Bikeman982

I think all the newer cars look similar. Maybe that's why I prefer the older styles?

I prefer the exterior styling of the Focus. Crisp, proportional, unpretentious.

Having said that, I bought the Corolla--refinement, economy, value, etc.

They don't look anything alike, IMO.

friendly_jacek

I prefer the exterior styling of the Focus. Crisp, proportional, unpretentious.

Having said that, I bought the Corolla--refinement, economy, value, etc.

They don't look anything alike, IMO.

I wish a took a picture...

Or, I need new glasses...

I would sure hope not! The Focus is...less aesthetically pleasing to the eye...and it seems like they fall to pieces at the slightest impact...sure, if you have impact, any car will look dishevled, but on the Focus, things acutally start to fall off, whereas in a Corolla they won't for awhile...

plus, Corolla is a nicer car for the price. It's no Mercedez or anything, but if you want a good car that's gonna last you a couple of years, and has good marks...it'll either be the Civic or Corolla. And since Civic costs more, the more economical choice is the Corolla.

IMPO: I just like how the Corolla looks. Especially the 8th and MOST especially the 9th. (I for one, am partial to the white one, but they say white car gets dirtier easier....somehow I've heard different)

I have a silver one now...,but...part of me is leaning either to a purplish one or a white one...but the new Cactus mica (seafoam color) is nifty...and when I buy another Corolla, I'll buy one in that color...maybe a 2006 in the year 2012?

Bikeman982

I have two white Corollas - one is a 1993 and the other a 1994. I like the color, although like any car it has to be kept clean. I think the body style for this generation is tops. The newer ones may be more appealing but the price was right for me.

it has never occured to be at all that the corolla and focus look similar. i like the 7th and 8th generation corolla looks

White ford focus parked next to my white corolla S (03) and I was shocked how the shapes of these cars were similar. From a distance, the fronts were almost indistinguishable. Anyone else noticed that?

The problem is quite obvious. The Focus looks like a pile of stepped-in dog waste, and, coincidentally, so does the '03 Corolla S! Your observation is perfectly understandable! Now, if the Focus were parked next to an '03 Corolla LE, the Focus would still look like the aforementioned mess, but the LE looks like a very smart, stylish automobile that anyone would be proud to own! It's amazing how all that ugly Kiddie Kladding can turn a perfectly good looking car into a nauseating horror. But I guess there's no accounting for taste!

Larry, I would liken it to someone putting a spoiler on their SUV, Minivan or pickup truck...

yuck!

Corolla LE, both 8th and 9th gen...you're right...it does look stylish, and smart. Sure, the Civic looks edgier, but look at what it's priced at compared to the 'rolla...

now talk about similar looking cars, what about the newer Jetta (or Jettarolla) and Corolla...?

Bikeman982

The problem is quite obvious. The Focus looks like a pile of stepped-in dog waste, and, coincidentally, so does the '03 Corolla S! Your observation is perfectly understandable! Now, if the Focus were parked next to an '03 Corolla LE, the Focus would still look like the aforementioned mess, but the LE looks like a very smart, stylish automobile that anyone would be proud to own! It's amazing how all that ugly Kiddie Kladding can turn a perfectly good looking car into a nauseating horror. But I guess there's no accounting for taste!

I take it that Larry does not like the looks of the Focus?

What EVER gave you that idea? :-/

Max

I have seen a couple posts now about the Civic being expensive. I don't get it. Civic LX sedan, direct competitor feature-wise to a Corolla LE, is nearly the same MSRP, and it comes with crusie control and bigger wheels and tires. The entry level cars are evenly matched price-wise, too. The EX sedan, hybrid, and Si coupe are certainly priced higher, but Civic is very competitive with Corolla on price.

I haven't looked at price recently, but when my friend got her 05 LE..the reason she got it was...she said it was price.

(OK, and also the fact that all her gal friends own a Corolla)...

I don't know if it's a local thing here, but IMO, the Civic costs a little bit more...

but that might be b/c some of the things that are optional on the Corolla come standard in the Civic.

default_wink I will certainly take that into account when i get a new car...(which won't be for another 7 years...if my car holds out)

but it's hard to say..I like the styling of the 9th gen Corolla, but I have yet to drive it so I can't say for sure. I just know that my 99 seems to fit me like a glove.

If the Civic fits me like a glove, I'll buy that...I do like the 03-04? Model (kinda square looking, but nice)...

I have seen a couple posts now about the Civic being expensive. I don't get it. Civic LX sedan, direct competitor feature-wise to a Corolla LE, is nearly the same MSRP, and it comes with crusie control and bigger wheels and tires. The entry level cars are evenly matched price-wise, too. The EX sedan, hybrid, and Si coupe are certainly priced higher, but Civic is very competitive with Corolla on price.

We shopped for both in 05. NOW, the Civics have vtec on all of them, but in 05, you had to get a EX to get the nicer engine that is pretty equel in power to the standard engine in the Corolla and that was over 19K with delivery cost. The non vtec engine was as slow as a turtle. On top of that, they still had a higher sticker price. Even for this year, the base price on a DX is $14,560, but that's the base stripped down one. The next trim level is $16,510. That doesn't incude delivery cost. Not sure what the delivery cost on our car was, but the final sticker price on our 05 LE 5sp was 15,800. With the summer rabate and working with the sales person, we drove our LE off the lot for 14K even. Acually, less with our trade in, but it's a whole lot of car for a little bit of money and Honda simple can't touch Toyota's options, performance, and price. Honda is ridding a over inflated bubble that will have to bust at some point. Once you get near 20K on a economy car, it sort of defeats the whole cheap economy car thing.

The Corolla doesn't look anything like the Focus. Get your eyes checked.

Topic List