Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Roger, January 21, 2006

Can I silence the alarm chirping, which signifies the alarm is activated, and have the alarm continue to arm and disarm itself when I exit or enter the car.?? I have read the operating manual cover to cover and there is no infomation regarding a feature to silence the alarm activation chirp. Thanks everyone!

I've heard that there are a series of button presses/ignition cycling/door opening and closings that will setup features in the alarm. An instruction set is floating around on the net somewhere - or possibly already posted as a DIY on the various forums. Might want to check out http://9thgencorolla.com/forums/ - they might already have it there.

My friend w/an 05 LE (supposedly loaded) wants to know why hers doesn't chirp when she locks/unlocks her car using the fob. I am under the impression, the reason you have the fob in the first place was b/c you had an alarm in your car?

My 8th gen. LE chirps when I lock/unlock using the fob.

Altho' the extend my car's ability to protect itself from thieves is limited...

Max

ycr- There is a difference between keyless entry and an alarm system, and both use a fob. Most keyless entry systems do not beep (chirp) when you use them; alarms do. Sounds like you have an alarm and your friend doesn't.

Max-

My opinion here but, why have a keyless entry control, if you don't have an alarm? You would think if you paid that much to purchase an LE w/tilt sun/moonroof combo, 6 cd changer, and side-impact airbags...it _should_ (in my opinion) come with both a.) ABS and b.) a car alarm !!!

Since this is my friend and my first (nicely equipped) Corolla, we just wanted to know the difference. The perosn I bought my Corolla from, was some sort of a car collector...he collected old Mercedez-Benzes and he had my Corolla...interestingly enough, the screws for my license plate are from the Mercedez. (But I don't think this should matter since this is cosmetic, not vital to the car's life)

Max is right on the money - unless the remote key fod is advertised as an alarm - you should take it as keyless entry. The reason - always boils down to price and extra revenue for the dealers and aftermarket. I've seen them come both ways - only keyless entry and w/alarm. Almost all the alarm variants were port or dealer installed - generally does not come from the factory with alarms. Both mine have alarms (for the insurance discount) - but one was installed by me and the other was dealer installed.

Max

Max- My opinion here but, why have a keyless entry control, if you don't have an alarm?

For convenience. I don't have keyless entry and wish I did sometimes, especially when my hands are full.

I have not located any program codes, yet. I want to silence everything (but with the alarm still activating upon exiting the car). NO horn burst, NO chirp, just the sounds of the locks on the doors locking via the keyless fob. Flashing lights indicating lock and unlock, OKAY....... But no horns or chirps. Only horns and alarm sounds when the misfit perpetrator attempts to beak in the vehicle. I like it quite. There is enough darn noise to contend with during the course of a day without having one more alarm chirping. I am open for any and all suggestions, folks.

I must say I like Toyota's chirping better than some of the other sounds in other vehicles out there.

Altho' if I could replace the horn w/something louder, I would... >default_biggrin

My friend w/an 05 LE (supposedly loaded) wants to know why hers doesn't chirp when she locks/unlocks her car using the fob. I am under the impression, the reason you have the fob in the first place was b/c you had an alarm in your car?

Vcr, The '05 LE model comes standard with the anti-theft/engine immobilizer, but NOT standard with alarm. If she/he has factory alarm there will be a beacon behind the turn signal and it will have an inscription that reads "Toyota Security". If she/he does not have an alarm, there will also be a beacon in the same location that is different from the alarm beacon. However, it is for the engine immobilizer, it does not chirp and it has NO written inscription.

If you want to verify alarm vs no alarm, roll down one of the windows, lock the doors with keyless remote, wait 40 seconds. Then reach inside the opened window to unlock the door from the manual lock and open the door. If it has an alarm, it's going to scream, shout and flash you with lights!!

Roger: I have been enlightened.

Remind me to buy a 9th gen Corolla...b/c the if the 10th gen. looks anything like those pics, I am not gonna buy one when the time comes!!

I have made 3 phone calls to 3 dealerships and none of the three service departments are aware of any program codes to silence the chip for alarm activation. It's just a matter of time before the chirpers beak is going to be clipped (disconnect the wire to the chirpper).

Topic List