Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla XRS

by stewardc, May 19, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Guest onemph05

Its nice to see other Corolla XRS owners on one of the Corolla forums. I too bought one just last tuesday. Its a Silver Streak Mica, what color did you guys get?

Guest TacoVato

Cool! Tuesday was when I got mine as well. Had to Special Order it and wait over 4 weeks for it because I'm over 6 feet tall and I wanted everything except a sunroof, which my head rubbed against when I sat in the one they had at the dealership. The test drove sure sold me though! The color I got is Phantom Gray Pearl. Looks pretty cool! The parts guy at the Toyota dealership said the SuperCharger for the engine is already available. Geez, my drivers license is already at risk with me behind the wheel of this car as it is. Dropping a SuperCharger in it is just begging for that "other side" to come out and get me in trouble. I think I should wait until I've broken the car in with at least 12000 miles before even considering such evil though...

Guest CorollaXRS

I bought my Xrs about 2 weeks and i couldnt be happier!! this is my first Toyota and so far im liking it I got a "black sand pearl" the only thing I've done to it so far is tint the windows with a 15% all around, lowering springs as well as bigger wheels should be going in in a couple of weeks.

Guest djwolford

The parts guy at the Toyota dealership said the SuperCharger for the engine is already available.

I'm pretty sure that the trd s/c only works with the 1zz, unless you want to drop a little bit of extra cash on different engine management and void your warranty, which would be very fun.

Guest onemph05

I bought my Xrs about 2 weeks and i couldnt be happier!! this is my first Toyota and so far im liking it I got a "black sand pearl"  the only thing I've done to it so far is tint the windows with a 15% all around, lowering springs as well as bigger wheels should be going in in a couple of weeks.

I purchased an s2000 antenna last thursday after reading the boards. The car looks more elegant and it was only 25 bucks at the dealer. What I like most about the car, is the lack of attention it gets.

Guest djwolford

I like not getting revved at by every chevy cavalier and honda civic on the road also, lack of attention is good.

Guest TacoVato

I'm pretty sure that the trd s/c only works with the 1zz, unless you want to drop a little bit of extra cash on different engine management and void your warranty, which would be very fun.

default_blink Yeah, you're probably right. I thought it was a little early for a SuperCharger to be available for the XRS. I'm having enough fun in it as it is, so I can wait. I am considering maybe a different muffler I saw referred to in one of the other forums. http://www.aero-turbine.com

The stock one that comes with the XRS looks so plain and boring.

Guest onemph05

I don't know... Two Guys Garage? They also are in the add for the Tornado. "Featured In" only means it was shown in the show, but I honestly stopped watching it. Just wait a while........

It would be great if TPR would make parts for our car like they do with the Celica people.

Anyone debadge their cars yet?

Guest djwolford

I'll have to agree, I'd say it's just like the tornado and the million other products that add 20 horsepower and increase gas mileage.

Guest TacoVato

Well, at least a chrome exhaust tip or something? Maybe I'm just psyched and impatiently want to start doing stuff to my XRS. I haven't even had the thing a week yet. I've noticed if I shift around 3500 rpm's, I can actually drive somewhat normal. Maybe sip a cup of tea while I'm at it?

(Dodging trash being thrown at me) Ok Ok!

Shifting at higher rpm's is a far more manly thing!

Especially for a car with a red line of over 8000 rpm's!

I haven't tested the supposed extra power boost over 6000 rpm because I'm just being a little paranoid about the break in period.

Anyone experienced it yet? The owner's manual suggests chilling for about 1000 miles, but I don't know if I can behave that long.

Guest djwolford

I decided to play with lift at about 200 miles, I had to go back to the dealership because I needed some bolts for my tags, talked to the guy there and he said that after the first few hundred miles it won't hurt anything to do it. Basically just a toyota cya move.

I'd suggest a magnaflow muffler if that's all you're going for, they have a nice deep rumbly sound, or you could go to a muffler shop and let them make you an exhaust. I'd also suggest downward angled tips, it really wouldn't look right any other way with the bumper being the way it is (imo).

Either way, just drive it like you stole it. default_biggrin

Guest TacoVato

I've got around 300 miles on mine, so I took a shot at the lift myself. Didn't really feel anything at 6000rpm. Felt a little something around 7k. I thought the other valves were supposed to kick in around 6k? Maybe my car needs to break in a bit more. I'll drive chill for a little bit longer... I wonder if, eventually, there will be a way to program the ECU to lift open the other valves at around 5k instead of the higher rpms? It would be nice to have that extra rpm range available to play with with all the valves wide open.

The magnaflow looks cool, but I need to basically just not do anything to my car other than tint it for now. The holiday's are coming up (bleah) and maybe I can just ask for something car related then. That way I can save my bucks for holiday shopping for others and still maybe get something for my wheels.

Then of course after the holidays it's tax refund time!

My car should have a good amount of mileage on it by then. Pay off the holiday bills and then treat myself with the leftovers.

With that thought in mind, maybe I won't be too extravagant with gifts this year. default_tongue

Well Folks, I'm new to the forum and I just bought an Inigo ink pearl/black xrs, fully loaded. Traded a focus for it. Love the xrs but still kinda miss my focus. I'll get over it though. Thinking of tinting and debadging. Does anyone know how to increase torque in this sucka? That is my only qualm with this car, actually, the trunk space is much less than my focus and I have to get accustomed to using the key for opening the trunk.(the focus had a button on the remote for the trunk.) I also don't like the clunky look of the rear bumper kit. Has anyone ever seen any lighted toyota emblems?

Guest djwolford

^^^

Grab a blitz s/c, an apex-i power fc, have some i/c piping fabbed and marvel at the torque, just be careful with the boost. default_smile

My lift kicks in hard at ~6100-6200 rpm, nothing like it does on the celica and matrix, but still better than any stock vtec i've ever experienced.

If lift hit just about 500 rpm earlier it would be awesome, but unfortunately, toyota says no....Try getting an elise ecu (good luck), I like the way that they're tuned. And if you just want to raise your revs get your stock ecu reprogrammed, and bump your limiter up to 8750, the engine can handle it. Or get in touch with monkeywrench racing and get thier valves/springs, and rev to the moooooooooon!

^^^Grab a blitz s/c, an apex-i power fc, have some i/c piping fabbed and marvel at the torque, just be careful with the boost. default_smile

My lift kicks in hard at ~6100-6200 rpm, nothing like it does on the celica and matrix, but still better than any stock vtec i've ever experienced.

If lift hit just about 500 rpm earlier it would be awesome, but unfortunately, toyota says no....Try getting an elise ecu (good luck), I like the way that they're tuned. And if you just want to raise your revs get your stock ecu reprogrammed, and bump your limiter up to 8750, the engine can handle it. Or get in touch with monkeywrench racing and get thier valves/springs, and rev to the moooooooooon!

Grab a blitz s/c, an apex-i power fc, have some i/c piping fabbed

Help me out with those abbreviations Wolford. Also where can I find the stuff?

I'd put a blower on a 1ZZ-FE motor before I try and run that on a 2ZZ-GE plant. It can be done and has been done on - but the valve phasing and lift will not be as efficient as before. The timing maps are based on N/A conditions - if you go forced induction - you will need the maps from someone who has already done it or spend some money and tune it yourself. Stand alone ECU is mandatory - piggyback version will work - but don't have the flexibility.

You could program the ECU to run lift sooner - but it will lower your ETs because of valve overlapping problems - just wasn't designed to do that.

I think they ran a Blitz supercharger on a Celica GT-S a few years ago - that only made an additional 35HP and 35ftlb at the wheels on 6lbs of boost - for about $5000.

The thing to do is to get the car to stay in lift as you run though the gears. I have noticed that the car will fall off of lift and have to run a couple of hundred RPMs before it switched over. Not a deal breaker - but could help lower your ETs.

Fortunately - more stand alone ECU are other there and understand VVTL. But to get some big power gains from a 2ZZ-GE engine will cost some serious amount of money. All about power to weight - lots of torque will help, but the boost in HP coupled with a lighter car will give you better performance.

Guest CorollaXRS

I bought my Xrs about 2 weeks and i couldnt be happier!! this is my first Toyota and so far im liking it I got a "black sand pearl"  the only thing I've done to it so far is tint the windows with a 15% all around, lowering springs as well as bigger wheels should be going in in a couple of weeks.

I purchased an s2000 antenna last thursday after reading the boards. The car looks more elegant and it was only 25 bucks at the dealer. What I like most about the car, is the lack of attention it gets.

I thought about doing something with that antena.....did you had any problems installing it?

Guest djwolford

You could program the ECU to run lift sooner - but it will lower your ETs because of valve overlapping problems - just wasn't designed to do that.

I think they ran a Blitz supercharger on a Celica GT-S a few years ago - that only made an additional 35HP and 35ftlb at the wheels on 6lbs of boost - for about $5000.

Hitting lift sooner is bad, this is true, the best way to go about it is to raise your rev limit, since the engine is actually capable of a pretty good bit more than they rate it for.

The nice thing about the s/c is that it hits peak boost almost instantly, and the torque curve is hardly a curve, just flatness. I'd take s/c torque over turbo torque for daily driving any way. On the other hand, s/c's do tend to lose efficiency at higher rpms, and if you're going up to redline, it probably wouldn't be the best choice...

Guest onemph05

I thought about doing something with that antena.....did you had any problems installing it?

The antenna just goes on like the stock one. Its a little bit lighter in color compared to the base, just like everyone has said. Unoticeable unless looking at it closely.

Guest TacoVato

In my Corrolla XRS, I don't feel the lift kick in till darn near 7000rpm. I squawked to my dealership, saying that I was losing out on almost 1000rpm worth of performance and if there was any way he could set the ECU to send the signal at 6000rpm. He talked to some of the techs and they think that the XRS was tested at a lower altitude than what I'm running it at, and that may be why the the kick is coming in later. Here in Albuq. NM we're about a mile above sea level. Does this make sense to you guys out there? Am I just going to have to live with it? default_sad

To me this sounds like crap meant to get themselves rid of an annoying client ;-) Then again there might be some truth to it. The best way to find out would be to drive to some lower altitude location and test it there (road trip? default_tongue). Altitude can definitely impact on engine behavior but the transition should still take place at 6k rpm... and if it impacts that much, you should be warned before buying the car.

I mean, if you bought at 150 hp car and found out it only puts out 120 hp because "it was tested high up in the north where the air is more dense" I'm pretty sure you could complain about false advertising. Hyundai sure got smacked a while back (I don't know what their excuse was though).

"Seat of the Pants" feel is hardly a accurate Assesment of a cars performance.

Most likely what is occuring, is that the thinner air is causing the torque curve to be flatter across the transition. Why? because wit hthe less dnse charge...the increased duration of the open vlaves is not needed until later in the rev band causeing a little bit of a flat spot. By 7000RPM, there is enough air comming intio the engine that the inproved airflow is better utilized and power increases.

If you stil lthink it's your particular car, ask to take another car on the lot for a test drive and see if it does the same thing. If it does.... sorry, but Toyota is not about ot make a custom ECU program unless they have at least 1% or more of their customers complaining... which is unlikely.

A for actual power output... .all performance claims are adjusted to standard conditons which I beleive is sea level at 50 degrees F. Check the fine print. All mass produced vehicles are also subject to peorformance tolerances of at least +/- 5% from the claimed output.

Guest djwolford

Stand alone ECU is mandatory - piggyback version will work - but don't have the flexibility.

Good luck trying to find a replacement for the stock ecu, I would think that it's way to complex to even try to mess with stand alone, the cost would be through the roof.

Good luck trying to find a replacement for the stock ecu, I would think that it's way to complex to even try to mess with stand alone, the cost would be through the roof.

Just give it a little time - look how long it took for aftermarket to fully figure out the VTEC and some other variable valve tech ECU programming and optimise it. But you are right - anyone going the stand alone ECU route will be on the "bleeding" edge - that persone has to do all the work to tune and optimise the maps - no support here. As with any big power mod - to get serious gains in numbers - you have to shell out some serious cash.

Guest TacoVato

Thanks for the feedback. If 6k rpm valve issue has to do with the air density a mile above sea level, are there work arounds to this? Example: Will a short ram intake help the extra valves kick in sooner?

Thanks

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)