Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla XRS

by stewardc, May 19, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

The dealer here in Halifax, Nova Scotia , Canada has ****ured me that three 2005 XRS Corollas will be available for test burns on Monday, May 31, 2004. default_tongue

Max

Cool! Go, drive, and report back!!!

I guess I just lost interest. I got the 05 brochure today and was thrilled at all the standard equipment (4-wheel discs, sport suspension, 16" wheels, 6-speed, 170hp) but then I saw it had 1 ft lb more torque than my 03. Also, my 03 is rated at 53mpg, while the 05 XRS is rated at 32mpg. For $7000 more than My 03 Corolla S, I expected more. I guess I'll keep the 03, but I WILL burn the 05 when it arrives.

Guest davidkd

53 MPG?? Where can I get one of those Corollas? I thought the MPG only went as high as 40 MPG highway for manual trans.

Max

David- me, too! stewardc, are "gallons" different in Canada?

David- me, too! stewardc, are "gallons" different in Canada?

I'm sorry for the confusion, folks. An Imperial gallon (Canadian) is larger than a US gallon. 5 US= 4 Imperial. I regularly get 47-49 miles per Imperial Gallon.

Guest SNestle48858

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this forum. But, I think i will like it here. I just bought an 05 XRS. This is my first Corolla. My first Toyota for that matter. I have a lot of learning to do I'm sure. In driving the XRS I found it much quicker that the 04 S models that I drove. I expect to have a lot of fun with it.

Scott

Max

Hi Scott, welcome! Bet yer XRS is going to be a blast. Enjoy!

Guest SNestle48858

I don't even have 300 miles on it yet, I'm taking it a little easy on it for the first 1000 miles or so. But, I believe it will be an exceptional performer. It's loaded with every option except the side curtain airbags. I can't be certain but I would have to guess I'm one of the first buyers... at least in Michigan. Most of the dealerships I talked to before I bought it did'nt even know what I was talking about when I went looking for a "Corolla XRS". One salesman starting showing me a Matrix XRS. Admittedly, they are trying to move leftover 04's. Hence all the 0% financing and whatnot.

No incentives on the 05's, yet. Probably won't be any whatsoever on the XRS.

So here's a question for you seasoned Corolla owners. What can I expect as far as tire wear is concerned. I have never owned a car this light. Actually, my wife will be driving it more than I. She is very careful and not likely to push the car anywhere near it's limits as far as handling is concerned. When I drive it's likely to get pushed a bit!

The Dealer I bought it from will put free tires on it for life if I have it serviced at the dealership.

So here's a question for you seasoned Corolla owners.  What can I expect  as far as tire wear is concerned. I have never owned a car this light.  Actually, my wife will be driving it more than I.  She is very careful and not likely to push the car anywhere near it's limits as far as handling is concerned.  When I drive it's likely to get pushed a bit!

The Dealer I bought it from will put free tires on it for life if I have it serviced at the dealership.

You can expect a good 50000 miles out of the OEM tires, especially if you don't accelerate, brake, corner hard or drive at high speeds for prolonged periods of time. Rough or rocky roads will also decrease the life of the tires.

If you plan on keeping the car for 200000 miles, the car will need 3 replacement sets of tires at about $350 per set. You can decide for yourself if that's worth it.

I believe that the XRS models come with 195/55R16 Michelin Pilot Sports summer tires, but may vary from dealer to dealer. If those are like any other of the Pilot series, even with gentle driving, I only got about 30K miles from them before the wear bars were showing. Friend of mind got only about 20K miles with some "spirited" driving with a Mitsubishi - not much heavier than the Corolla.

No mileage warranty on those, because they are intended for summer use and have a relatively soft compound. I could have gotten a tire uniformity warranty for the wear - but decided against it.

If you get any snow or ice in your area - better invest in some winter tires - those Michelins are a handful in winter. Weird that Toyota would go that route for an OEM tire - must be looking for people that want max performance from a compact sedan.

Good Luck.

Guest SNestle48858

They are 16" Michelin XSE Pilot Primacy's. Just from looking at them I can tell you they will be swapped out this winter for something better suited for winter driving.

They hold the road very well. I'm glad I live on a curvy road! The wife and I went out for our first long drive this evening. Lots of paved, curvy rolling hills to play on. What a Blast! default_biggrin

Thanks for the responses guys. This first set ain't gonna last long! default_biggrin

Good thing the dealer is eating the cost for tires!

Scott

Looking at the specs, it seems like the max power is obtained by running at higher RPM's.

How's the low end torque and acceleration from standstill?

Is the 6th gear useful? I sometimes wish my 5 speed had one more gear.

Good luck and enjoy it!

P.S. Replaced OEM tires with Michelin Harmony at 12K. Great difference The OEM's were not Michelin and had no gripping power.

Guest polo708

In driving the XRS I found it much quicker that the 04 S models that I drove. Scott

of course it is... but can u take a blown 1zz? thats my Q.

Forced induction models will be faster - but I'd take the XRS for reliability reasons and overall cost of operation.

BTW, dude, I like your ride - CLEAN - a little flash to set it apart - but not Fast and Furious styled.

Max

Yeah, polo, it looks great. Lowering gives it a much better look. I literally laugh at mine when I see it from behind. That bubly car sitting high over bicycle tires...

Guest SNestle48858

Bob,

Max power is at the high end of the RPM range. At about 6800 or so there is a HUGE boost in horsepower/torque.

In my opinion acceleration and torque from a standstill is notable. Compared to the 04 S models. I'm speaking in terms of stock equipment. Those with turbo or superchargers will certainly be at an advantage. Bear in mind this is my first "new age muscle car". Compared to the Chevelles, Camaro's and such of my past... this thing is a riot!

Gearing;

I don't know the exact ratio's. These comments are based on my hands on experience with the 6 speed.

1st gear is short. Very little throttle is necessary to get moving.

2nd thru 5th seem nicely spaced for exceptional acceleration. Also, the shifter throw seems shorter than most of the other shifters I drove while shopping for my XRS. Especially the SRT-4, That thing shifts like my Semi. Incredible horsepower though!

My wife changes gears before 4000 rpm and the car still accelerates nicely. I've tried a few different rpm ranges to shift within and the results are comensurate with the tightness of the grip on the wheel. default_biggrin

I experienced the "powerband" for the first time last night. default_biggrin

I thought I was going to have to stop for a cigarette, but I don't smoke.

6th gear is in my professional opinion an overdrive. So, it is useful when you are driving at least 60 mph+. At 70 mph I am turning about 2700 RPM. I'll double check that to be exact and get back to you.

I am a Truck Driver as a profession so I believe I have a bit of credibility when it comes to gear selection as it relates to performance/economy.

Of course, my "large car" has 18 forward and 4 reverse gears. The tranny and engine in my KW weighs more than my XRS!! I'm happy if I get 4.5 to 5 mpg.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Guest Vancop

Great post guys, especially as I to have purchased a 2005 XRS...and is my first Toyota ....

Wife will mostly be driving, and hopefully not to FAST! We were having a hard time between the Corolla S and the XRS, then decided on the XRS because of the side air bags and did notice a little more get up and go.but was a little concerned about the gas milage.

Anyone got info yet on the actual milage? I am a Police Officer and tend to be a little heavy on the accelerator....but it seems shifting is best done around 3200 - 3800 rpm , and I agree on the 6th gear as mostly an overdrive..

We bought the only one in the area as they just hit the market in the US, so it will be a trial run for us....thanks again for the posts, I'll be checking back to seewhats new

Drive safe

Guest dnl618

HI everyone. I posted about a month ago looking for an XRS. I am happy to report that I found one. I bought it on May 12 and couldn't be happier. The gas mileage is great considering how bad the prices are right now. The only thing about the car that I don't like is when it beeps at me in reverse. It drives me even crazier when I don't have my seat belt on. Both beeps in my ears are enough to drive me nuts. I wouldn't trade it for the world though:)

Max

Congrats on your XRS! And put on your seatbelt! default_biggrin

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like this model delivers what the "S" acts like it will deliver.

Guest Gay Focker

Hey guys, I just bought a new XRS on Memorial Day. I traded a 2001 Nissan

Sentra SE for the car. I do miss the Sentra's torque down low, but the rest

of the car is no comparison for the XRS. Most people have no idea what the

XRS has under the hood, so you can catch a lot of people napping. It

definitely qualifies as a sleeper.

The fit and finish of the car is fantastic. The 6-speed gearbox is nice

and tight. The 2ZZ motor is a lot of fun. You have to rev the snot out

of it to really produce, but this fits my driving style anyway. 6k-8k rpm

is a lot of fun in this car. 1st is tall, it gets you to 40mph, but every gear

after that shifts at 20-25mph increments, which keeps the motor in it's happy

powerband. The car is also suprisingly quiet on the road. Much quieter than

the Sentra I gave up.

Now I just need TRD to start spitting out parts for this thing. default_wink

Guest TacoVato

Just picked up my Corolla XRS a couple of days ago. The thing's a blast to drive! Yeah, it doesn't have the low end torque of most of the other cars it's compared to, but I don't really notice it. The car looks good, drives and handles good, and has a more quality feel to it, inside and out. ...but if anyone knows how to disable that MOST annoying beeping when you shift it into reverse, it would be most appreciated if you could let me know. Thanks!

Saw it again at the dealer yesterday in "ticket me" red.

Nice fit & finish but I venture many young buyers will lose their license quickly with these vehicles. Hope not.

In driving the XRS I found it much quicker that the 04 S models that I drove.  Scott

Actually.........he can't take a good working 1ZZ. Mine has a CAI, and about 90,000miles on it (it's an 03 S). It's stronger than an XRS at any speed that I've tried.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)