Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Temperature Digital Reading Stuck At 0 Degrees C

by newcorolla, December 11, 2005

Hi,

I have a 2004 Corolla. I've noticed for the last couple of days that the digital temperature reading on my odometer has been stuck at 0 degrees Celsius, even though it's been snowing and about -10 degrees C outside recently. Once in a while it will go to 1 but then a few seconds later it will go back to 0. Last night it went to -1 (even though it was much colder than that).

I did have my 32,000km service done last Monday, so maybe something got popped loose by the mechanic???

BTW I park my car indoors overnight, but I have it outside during the weekdays at work. It was reading temps fine last year in the wintertime though.

Max

You're still under warranty,and even if you weren't, if a mechanic did indeed do something to mess up the thermometer, he needs to fix it. I'd take it in.

That's right, i'm under warranty. I just wanna know if u guys know before I call them up tomorrow morning when they open. One thing I'm worried about is that they coulda messed something else up. I have the worst luck when it comes to that..... I get something fixed but get something else broken!

• 1,424 posts
Hi,I have a 2004 Corolla. I've noticed for the last couple of days that the digital temperature reading on my odometer has been stuck at 0 degrees Celsius, even though it's been snowing and about -10 degrees C outside recently. Once in a while it will go to 1 but then a few seconds later it will go back to 0. Last night it went to -1 (even though it was much colder than that).

I did have my 32,000km service done last Monday, so maybe something got popped loose by the mechanic???

BTW I park my car indoors overnight, but I have it outside during the weekdays at work. It was reading temps fine last year in the wintertime though.

How long between when you started the car and when you turned it off? The reason I ask is this: If for any reason the battery was disconnected, the temp gauge goes into calibration. It takes about 40-50 minutes of total key on time for the car to get the temperature right. I'd wait it out until this condition is met before you visit the dealer. If after a total time of about an hour with the car running the gague is still inaccurate, then you need to have it looked at

If there's a clump of ice stuck around your temperature sensor, it will stay at 0 degrees. Is your garage warm enough that it melts off the ice?

My 99 doesn't register anything below 0 degrees...F

But it doesn't bother me...I know it's cold...so I don't think minus whatever would matter any more than if the temp were just at 0....

If the temp is above 0...it'll read it fine...

Max

If my fahrenheit-reading thermometer didn't show me anything below freezing - 32 degrees F (which 0 Celcius is)- I'd be wanting it fixed, too.

Just a guess, but does it register (show) anything below 0, no matter if it's C or F?

Just a guess, but does it register (show) anything below 0, no matter if it's C or F?

Yes it does. The lowest I have seen on mine is about -16C.

buurin: Lucky you, I saw -33 °C on mine two weeks after I got the car default_tongue

I'd say bring it back to the dealership; they probably screwed up something.

Just wondering, can you switch the reading over from Fahrenheit to Celsius and vice versa?

Guest macaddict

Just wondering, can you switch the reading over from Fahrenheit to Celsius and vice versa?

I'd like to know the answer to this question too...

Topic List