Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Warof1812, December 4, 2005

Went to the 17th Annual Antietam Battlefield Memorial Illumination last night and made the mistake of taking my 2005 Corolla. The NPS lights 23,000 luminaries for all the casualties, Union and Confederate, of the Battle of Antietam (or Sharpsburg) and allows you drive through the battlefield after dark...if you can figure out how turn your headlights off!

The problem with taking the Corolla was that I couldn't figure out how to override the dang automatic sensor. Sat for 15 minutes on the side of the road, read the owners manual, tried various combinations of turning the car off/on then immediately turning the lights on and off manually but could only get them off while in park.

I know from having read the posts about disabling the seatbelt alarm that there must me some strange sequence of pushing buttons, buckling seatbelts, turning the ignition on and off, ejecting CDs, and reciting my VIN number backwards to regain control of my automobile. Any secret-handshake, third-degree, Toyota wizards out there know the formula?

Here is a link to a site that tells you the proper way to disable the day time running lights and it works I did it on mine.

http://dalenet.com/matrixvibe/ Hope this helps you to.

The SMan

Ti-Jean

The day time running lights and the automatic headlights are 2 different things I get.

For the day time running lights, you can simply start your engine with the hand brake lever pulled one click and that will do the trick.

You'd get a warning light but you can drive the car no problem and get your lights when you fully release the lever.

When you cut this wire in the link aboue it kills your auto lights to, so you have control of the lights. I added a factory switch to my dash where the coin holder was, so now if I want the auto funtion I just flip a switch and it works like factory or custom.

SMan

• 1,424 posts
When you cut this wire in the link aboue it kills your auto lights to, so you have control of the lights. I added a factory switch to my dash where the coin holder was, so now if I want the auto funtion I just flip a switch and it works like factory or custom.SMan

That doesn't work for those of us with ABS and a security system. We have a Tire Pressure Reset Button, and a Security Light. We don't have any blanks left, so where is a easy and convienent place to put a good looking switch.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd rather not have to install a switch for such a rare situation. I'm actually quite fond of my DRLs. I believe they increase my chances of being seen in certain types of daylight, i.e.: hazy, overcast days when there's very little contrast especially with a silver car against certain backgrounds.

I'm wondering if a small flashlight shining on the dash sensor would fool it. In conjunction with Ti-Jean's DRL/handbrake suggestion. Hang on...I'm going to try it. Well it works, sort of. The flashlight fools the sensor - which would have been easy enough to tape in place last night but I'm not sure how I feel about driving around with my parking brake partially engaged. As soon as I release it the DRLs kick in.

Any more elegant suggestions?

Topic List