Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Mobil 1 Oil Filter

by Zefram0911, November 28, 2005

Does any one know which one to use for a 2000 Corolla LE? I want to try the extended performance oil and am not sure which one will fit my car and is for extended drains.

Mobil 1 PurOne filter is a synthetic media filter that is ideal for extended drains. I've also used Purolator - both normal and oversized(the one for 2ZZGE Celica), TRD (expensive), and Toyota OEM. All with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 oil.

Before you start any extended drain program - you have to make sure that the driving conditions and car make it even possible. Look at resources on BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy) to get some information.

Took me several UOA to find the "sweet spot" for my extended drains (max is about 12K for me). That a UOA yearly to make sure that I didn't goof something up. Ideally - you should poll you oil at regular intervals to find out if the oil is still good - but that can get quite expensive. I did one right when I switched to synthetics the first time. Then one after a 5K drain interval to see where I stood. Then keep extending that in 2K-3K intervals to find out how the oil looked. My oil reports consistently told me my oil was still good even around 10K-12K miles - but I change it at around 8K to play it safe (plus oil is cheaper than a new short block).

where can I get one of these filter and what's the part number?

Which ones?

Just try online retailers - they'll show you which one. Try Autozone, Parts America, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA, Checker, Schuck's, and Kragen Auto Parts. All depends on where you live at. Also a bunch of online retailers.

Checked my filters that I have: The Mobil 1 PureOne is PL14476 (standard length), Puralator oversized is L14477.

now_driving_VW

The most important thing about extending your oil changes is oil sampling & analysis. Yes, it costs $20 to do-- but it is the only way you can truly ascertain the oil change interval.

Lemme guess... you want to use the Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil...

What you want to do is get a baseline... so run the oil to the normal oil change interval and get it analyzed-- that will predict your oil change interval.

Duriung your first attempt at the extended oil change, you periodically get it analyzed to confirm it (every 5,000 miles)... yes it's expensive to do get it analyzed-- but you gotta do it right the fist time.

After that-- then you can periodically analyze the oil after the oil changes.

Don't worry about spending top dollar for some special filter. Use the OEM filter from Toytoa and change it every 5,000 miles. YOu get 2 benefits:

1. YOu remove the crap out of the engine

2. Slight replenishment with fresh oil (and additives).

If you want crazy oil change intervals-- consider a bypass filter

Well, I did find the right filter for the 2000 LE... it's part # is M1-103.

Man... do I really have to get all that analysis? Can't I just let it go for 10-12 thousand miles?

Never heard of a M1-103 - what kind of filter is this, a Mobil filter? Where are you trying to buy this? Google did not show anything useful for me on that part number.

You could just dump in some synthetic oil and drive 10-12K miles. But I wouldn't see that engine lasting too long after that.

As for oil analysis - as they say, you got to pay to play. UOA and good quality oil/filtration is part of the extended drain system. Without the analysis, you would never really know if the oil could go that far and its current . Even with the "extended drain interval" oil - no guarantee they will go that far. Check the warranty info on them - most require periodic oil analysis as part of the extended drain interval.

now_driving_VW

The thing is... once you deviate from what Toyota recommends... you are your own warranty. Even though Mobil1 may claim they have something--- the burden of proof it is Mobil defect is on you!!!

The old saying goes... you gotta pay to play

From www.mobil1.com

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Motor Oil Limited 15,000 Mile or 1 year Warranty

This is a limited warranty covering the Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant you purchased. ExxonMobil warrants its lubricants to be free from defects and will replace any Mobil lubricant that is defective. For vehicles covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions. If your vehicle has exceeded the duration of the manufacturer’s warranty, ExxonMobil warrants that the Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle’s critical engine parts from oil related failure for 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first. If not, provided the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, Exxon Mobil will have your vehicle repaired and replace the oil at no cost to you.

ExxonMobil Lubricants & Petroleum Specialties Company, a division of Exxon Mobil Corporation ("ExxonMobil") provides this limited warranty to the purchasers who use Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant in their vehicle.

This limited warranty covers the Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant and critical engine parts lubricated by the lubricant.

This limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or 1 year from the date [purchase or installation], whichever is earlier.

If there is equipment failure related to the Mobil brand lubricant you purchased, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of a Mobil lubricant, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the original equipment manufacturer or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

To file a claim under this Limited Warranty, you must:

Upon discovery of the damage (but not later than six (6) months from the date the damage occurred) call 1-800-AskMobil.

Allow an ExxonMobil representative to examine the equipment and maintenance records, if available, and provide proof of purchase to determine the extent of the damage and to confirm that a Mobil lubricant was the cause.

Allow an ExxonMobil representative to obtain an oil sample from the engine for oil analysis at no cost to you to assist in determining the cause of the equipment failure.

This Limited Warranty excludes:

Mobil lubricants used in mechanically deficient equipment as a result of abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; damage from casualty, shipment or accident; or, equipment modification done without written authorization from the OEM.

Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by Mobil without written approval from ExxonMobil.

Mobil lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil.

Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil lubricants.

The remedy provided here will be your only recovery against ExxonMobil. You will not be able to recover incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion of or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.

Never heard of a M1-103 - what kind of filter is this, a Mobil filter? Where are you trying to buy this? Google did not show anything useful for me on that part number.

You could just dump in some synthetic oil and drive 10-12K miles. But I wouldn't see that engine lasting too long after that.

As for oil analysis - as they say, you got to pay to play. UOA and good quality oil/filtration is part of the extended drain system. Without the analysis, you would never really know if the oil could go that far and its current . Even with the "extended drain interval" oil - no guarantee they will go that far. Check the warranty info on them - most require periodic oil analysis as part of the extended drain interval.

Yes, the M1-103 is the Mobil 1 filter for the 2000 LE. They come in two versions, the regular one and the extended performance one. I'm guessing the latter is for use with the EP version of their oils. I think I'm going to try it out unless people REALLY think it's a bad idea.

The thing is... once you deviate from what Toyota recommends... you are your own warranty. Even though Mobil1 may claim they have something--- the burden of proof it is Mobil defect is on you!!!

The old saying goes... you gotta pay to play

I think with 6 years 75000 miles I'm already done with my warranty?

That Mobil M1-103 should work - actually was listed as a cross reference on my oil filter boxes. Good filter - but so small, you won't really notice how well it is filtering. Once the filter gets to a certain point (fills up with contaminants) it will go into bypass mode. For extended drains, I've always gone with an oversized filter for extra filtering media and a bit more oil capacity to boot.

What's the difference between the regular M1-103 and the extended performance one then? How much longer can I leave it before I need to change it. I do plan on using the extended performance oil.

Would using 5w-30 year around be ok? I'm sorry I'm such a nub, I've only taken an interest in self maintanence in the last few months and have LOTS to learn.

As for oil grade - it will depend on your driving conditions, driving style, and environmental conditions. 5W-30 is generally used when the ambient temperature ranges from -20F to 95F. This doesn't mean that if the temp drops to -50F or goes to 120F, that you will be screwed you will be OK, just pick the oil appropriate for the conditions. 0W-30 would be better if the ambient temperature is always low (subzero weather). 10w30 would be a better choice if you live in the warmer areas or area than never see snow. Avoid too high a grade of oil or racing grade oils - the engine was designed with tolerances and operational temperatures that one might see in everyday driving. A 20W50 or 15W60 are way too thick to run for most people - might cause oil to be starved in key areas that have clearances tight enough to prevent oil from forming a protective layer.

The type of oil filter has less of an inpact on the oil change interval than the type of oil that you are planning to use. The filter is so small - that even the best filtering medi will not make a difference. In some cases, better media (either more of it or captures finer particulates) will clog up faster than typical media filters. That doesn't mean use the cheapest media out there - you also have to have a spin on filter that will not come apart on you internally.

A good example are some of the FRAM filters w/ cardboard end caps. I've personally had two that came unglued internally and effectively had no filtering at the time (this was a regular 3000 mile oil change). Mobil 1, Puralator, Wix, NAPA Gold, Toyota OEM, K&N, and AC Delco are the only ones that I've used that had ZERO problems. Some of them have a very heavy case (like the K&N filter) and have superior construction internally to hold up to longer intervals.

You'll see from UOA that the filter is the bottleneck to most extended drain programs. Also keep in mind that the Corolla was never designed for extended drain intervals (hence the tiny filter) - but many people have reported good luck with extended drains due to high quality synthetics and careful monitoring with oil analysis. Without such analysis, you are essentially going at this blind.

I do extended drains due to the amount of miles that I cover during my commute. If I followed a regular oil change schedule with conventional oil, I'd be changing it almost every month. Running my oil out to 10K - 12K miles allows me to change at three month intervals - more convient for me. Money-wise, breaks about even between the two methods - you may change the oil less often, but spend more in oil cost differences and oil analysis.

sure, I understand that...

I'm going to do it... Mobil 1 5w-30 EP and the EP oil filter. I'll let it go for 10 thousand miles or so. That'll last me 3 or 4 months.

Just don't forget the oil analysis in between and you should be OK.

Also, if this is the first time the car is having Mobil 1 EP running through it - I'd run a "flush" fill first with Mobil 1 and then the following fill will be the extended drain one. Worst case - you'd run into a problem with conventional oil not making it through and gumming up the works. I'd be pissed off if I ran it for a 10K extended drain and then ended up having to by a new motor at the end.

Good Luck.

now_driving_VW

you should also consider getting a Fumoto Valve with a nipple. It allows for easy sampling of the oil in between oil changes-- and easier oil changes as you drain directly into a jug, instead of a plastic pan, and then pouring that into a jug

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Just don't forget the oil analysis in between and you should be OK.

Also, if this is the first time the car is having Mobil 1 EP running through it - I'd run a "flush" fill first with Mobil 1 and then the following fill will be the extended drain one. Worst case - you'd run into a problem with conventional oil not making it through and gumming up the works. I'd be pissed off if I ran it for a 10K extended drain and then ended up having to by a new motor at the end.

Good Luck.

hmm is oil analysis REALLY necessary? I'm feeling frisky... I mean risky. I think I'll be getting a new car in two or three years anyways.

Well - it is your money, we can only offer suggestions. Check out BITOG forums for more info on extended drains.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

If it was a different Toyota - I'd say give it a whack. With the 1ZZ-FE engines in the 1998+ Corolla/Matrix/Celica/MRS - probably fairly risky to do so. Given their reputation for stuck rings, bad valve seals, and oil pump issues on some.

If you don't want to pay for oil analysis - then go with 8K oil drains with synthetic. Most cars show good TBN and reasonable levels of insoluables while still allowing the viscosity to stay in spec. If these terms are new to you - check the baove link - lots of stuff to know about oil.

Thanks for the opinions... I love this forum.

Topic List