Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tires For 2001 Corolla-s

Guest kag

Hi all,

I need to get new tires for my 2001, and was wondering if poeple have recommendations for someone in California...

I don't get any snow, so snow traction is not a concern. It does rain a fair bit for about 3 months of the year, so I do need something that performs well in wet weather driving at 65 mph default_smile

I looked at the old posts on tires and a lot of them mention snowy conditions, so I was hoping for more targeted recommendations.

Basically looking for good, cheap tires.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-KAG

Guest unitas

Tire rack is a great source of information and tires. Do a search and read specs and reviews - often lots of them - on many of the tire choices. I've bought from them and had the tires drop shipped to a local installer.

http://www.tirerack.com/

Guest johnny ro

I am a bit crazy about cars and tires, but I will not buy any car that cannot take a Bridgestone Turanza rated H or better.

Its not the only good tire out there but the only one I like.

Quiet, comfortable, and compliant, and real real grippy. Not racer boy nervous quick handling, more like autobahn fast. They add needed compliance for horrible pavement in Northeast. They transform any car. Deceptive, you drive faster with them because you lose the sensation of noise and jerkiness of average performance tires with their built in speed-feel.

Rated AA/A which is the highest, you should accept no tire that does not get this. Do not listen to the person at the local tire store or gas station about ratings or consider their gas station brand tire.

They are great in snow, I have mounted wintersport M3s but leave them in the NH garage all winter, they are a bit better in real snow, but the Turanzas get me through anything and the noise of the M3s is a hassle. Same with any snow tire. In alaska I might feel different.

You pay about 2-3 times as cheap tires but they are less than OEM Michelins. Also you lose a very few % mpg.

Read reviews at tire rack. Ignore all written by drivers of Detroit iron, minivans or trucks. Volvo and Accord drivers seem to not get it either. Surprised about that.

For cheap way out buy Kumhos.

Finally do not forget the maxim that "all cars need an alignment". They do. All 4 wheels. Tell them to zero out the error, not just get within the green zone, it takes an extra few moments. Make them give you a printout of before and after. If you want to handle in snow you need correctly aligned wheels.

now_driving_VW

Hi all,

I need to get new tires for my 2001, and was wondering if poeple have recommendations for someone in California...

I don't get any snow, so snow traction is not a concern. It does rain a fair bit for about 3 months of the year, so I do need something that performs well in wet weather driving at 65 mph default_smile

I looked at the old posts on tires and a lot of them mention snowy conditions, so I was hoping for more targeted recommendations.

-KAG

I have heard a lot of favorable reviews on the Michelin HydroEdge tires, specifically wet weather performance

Use tirerack's decision guide as you need to rank your priorities.... Handling, Noise & Wear

I have an 01 S. I bought it new and now have 160,000 miles on it. I've tried different tires and by far the best so far are the hydroedges. They are very good in the rain and they are quiet. I've put about 40,000 miles on them in the last year and at the rate that they are wearing I believe they will last close to 90,000 miles.

Hi all,

I looked at the old posts on tires and a lot of them mention snowy condit

ions, so I was hoping for more targeted recommendations.

-KAG

I have heard a lot of favorable reviews on the Michelin HydroEdge tires, specifically wet weather performance

Use tirerack's decision guide as you need to rank your priorities.... Handling, Noise & Wear

Mr. Ed

Yep...I cast my vote for the Michelin Hydroedge. We have them on my wife's LeSabre and my Crayolla. They stick to the road like glue - even in rain. And, has already been mentioned, they wear a long time.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)