Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest araj

I am about to do a 60K miles service on my 2002 Corolla S, as per the manual the valve clearance need to be inspected.

After enquiring about this it seems that most of the stores / dealers do not include the valve clearance checking in there preventive maintenance package. Midas people told me that valve clearance is a special service, which takes about 4 to 5 hours.

As per my knowledge most engines have hydraulic valve lifters requiring no periodic maintenance or adjustment. If I have to do this service I would prefer to be get it done from a Toyota dealer.

I would appreciate, if you guys can provide your expert opinions on the following,

- Is there any way I can find out if the value clearance adjustment is need or not for my car by myself. And is it really worth doing it at 60K miles?

- How much time does it take for just checking the valve clearance and how much for adjusting it?

- Has any one done the valve clearance adjustment service, what is the experience?

- Is it required to clean the fuel injectors at 60K miles, if yes then is it worth doing the complete fuel injection service.

Thanks in advance.

araj

Valve clearance inspection is an audible check only. Dealer will do an audible inspection initially - if the valves sound like they need adjusting, then they will let you know. The factory service schedule calls for this type of inspection only - no need to pop the valvecover off unless something is royally screwed up.

Labor at 4-5 hours sounds like "book" time. I did it myself with a comprehensive set of tools and some feeler gauges - took all but about an hour max (for checking). If the valves really off, then the cams have to come off - lifters pulled and measured (probably another 2-3 hours, depending on how bad).

Myself - I checked the clearance myself (dealer goofed on ATF service - wrong fluid type during 30K service interval). Here are some sample images here on my valvetrain (under 1ZZFE - Adjust Valves).

http://photobucket.com/albums/v620/fishexpo101/

and posted here back in February

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?...djusting+valves

Basically - everything was perfect. Didn't really need to do them. I think the car had about 100K on it - and I wanted to check and see if the extended drain intervals were causing harm.

My take on this - unless the car is having drivability problems and excessive noise under the hood (the 1ZZFE is a noisy engine to begin with) - you probably won't need a valve adjustment. The 1ZZ-FE engine was designed with low maintanence in mind. Valves should be fine if you followed normal, consistent oil change maintenance intervals.

Fuel injector service is a pure profit maker for the dealer or service station - gas, regardless of grade, that you buy from the pump already has detergents that help keep the injectors in good working order. Unless you know that you pumped in really old fuel or pumped in something other than gas - you won't need it.

Sure you can do both - but in most cases - the only thing that you discover from these services is that car is perfectly fine and your wallet has now become a little thinner.

Guest araj

Thank you fishexpo101 for your information.

I have to disagree with the "audible inspection". I haven't really seen an issue with the newer Toyota engines-mostly the chain driven ones-having issues with burning valves. The older 3.0 3VZ motors were pretty nasty about the valve clearances. Audible valve noise means too much clearance between the cam and shim. When there isn't enough clearance, there isn't any noise. Not enough clearance can equal burnt valves. My old shop did innumerable valves grinds on teh 3VZ motors during the V06 (headgasket) recall on these motors because the owners didn't have the recommended valve adjustments. But-as I stated earlier-the Camry 02+ and Corolla 98+ motors don't seem to have this issue. I had my clearances checked at 65,000 miles while a tensioner o-ring was replaced, the were all fine. I'll be hitting 90,000 at my next oil change, and I plan on checking them again, just in case.

I spend $125 for a valve adjustment at 60k on my 95 civic and it was completely unnecessary.

Toyotas valves are a little loud and ticky, and they should be, but unless they sound extremely loud, or you don't hear any valve tick at all, your valves are fine. This is provided you're not having any performance problems.

That's why we pay more for a toyota, so we don't have to worry about this kind of stuff.

thanks for the info in this link.

umm, there is no mention in my glovebox maintenance guide on injector service schedule.....if there is detergent in the australian fuel....when should I service the injectors please?

I am running a un-modified corolla hatch in the city using normal unleaded fuel.

Topic List