Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Mobil One

by badandy, October 10, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

• 55 posts

Was at Sunrise Toyota located in Oakdale NY and noticed a Mobil One brochure listing all the benefits of Mobil One , and it had Toyota printed all over it .....stating how Toyota recommends Mobil One

Was at Sunrise Toyota located in Oakdale NY and noticed a Mobil One brochure listing all the benefits of Mobil One , and it had Toyota printed all over it .....stating how Toyota recommends Mobil One

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles.

I'm wondering what happend to Mother-of -all-oil - Toyota oil?

My first service on my Corolla will be at 8,000K and I will be bringing my own Mobil 1 for them to use in place of the regular oil. The dealer charges $30.00 CDN for oil/lube/filter.....but if they use THEIR Mobil 1.....it's $40.00 extra!! What a rip.

Dai_Shan

Your waiting till 8k before your first service? Why the wait, most people go with an early change at like 2-4k...not past the 5k.

I havn't used synthetic yet...but am thinking about it this winter. But i don't put enough miles on my corolla any more...would hit the 6mo mark to easily.

now_driving_VW

Your waiting till 8k before your first service? Why the wait, most people go with an early change at like 2-4k...not past the 5k.

I havn't used synthetic yet...but am thinking about it this winter. But i don't put enough miles on my corolla any more...would hit the 6mo mark to easily.

muzak is Canadian. 8000K (km) is just shy of 5,000 miles

Yup. No Mobil 1 brochure at my local dealer but there's Mobil 1 on the parts shelves. No more Toyota Synthetic, the parts guy told me.

I'd rather redeem my Esso Extra points for Mobil 1s and do the oil change myself, now that I have the tools.

The dealer here in Halifax has the brochures, in fact, there was a blurb in the Canadian owners magazine suggesting Mobil 1. I switched my 03 Corolla S over to Mobil 1 @ 10,000km. Now, at 235,000km I change oil every 20,000km and filter every 10,000km. The car still runs as quiet as new and uses no oil between changes.

friendly_jacek

The dealer here in Halifax has the brochures, in fact, there was a blurb in the Canadian owners magazine suggesting Mobil 1. I switched my 03 Corolla S over to Mobil 1 @ 10,000km. Now, at 235,000km I change oil every 20,000km and filter every 10,000km. The car still runs as quiet as new and uses no oil between changes.
You mean you put 235000 km in 2-3 years? Impressive!

Be carefull with your recommendation. Someone doing only several thous a year would not be able to do your 20000km intervals!

I would say that considering that Toyota's own dino oil was made by Mobil for them, it's not much of a surprise .

I also visited Mercedes dealer at downtown Toronto, only oil used there is Mobil1. As soon as you go up to the 4th floor, You can see Mobil1 posters all over.

I was in my local dealership today and they had mobil 1 too. I use the following blend now - 3 quarts of castrol 5-30 and 1 quart of Mobil 1 5-30. That's good enough for a 3000k change interval. Pleanty of protection and costs about $11 or $16 with the filter.

I was in my local dealership today and they had mobil 1 too. I use the following blend now - 3 quarts of castrol 5-30 and 1 quart of Mobil 1 5-30. That's good enough for a 3000k change interval. Pleanty of protection and costs about $11 or $16 with the filter.

That should give you 6 months or at least 3500. I think only those that use straight conventional would change at 3000. (I assume it's miles.) As it is, your car (and maybe the store you bought oil from ) will thank you for all the money spent on those extra "cheap insurance." default_laugh

friendly_jacek

That should give you 6 months or at least 3500. I think only those that use straight conventional would change at 3000. (I assume it's miles.) As it is, your car (and maybe the store you bought oil from ) will thank you for all the money spent on those extra "cheap insurance." default_laugh

C..mon, you can do better than this. I use 6 mos/5000 miles routine with dino oils. The oil analysis with dino 10W30 at 5000 miles had low wear numbers and no evidence of problems.

Yea, I'm sure they're laughing all the way to the bank with that extra dollar. But when you have no idea what my driving conditions or climate are, your comment may be slighlty presumptous. And don't forget, Corolla forum posters tend to over-maintain their cars and quite enjoy doing so. That's a dollar well spent in my opinion.

Ti-Jean

From the fall flyer I received recently from Toyota Canada, a regular dino (Toyota) oil change is $32.95 and the synthetic oil change is offered at $73.95 plus 15% taxes!!!

At that price my own oil changes consisting of 4 liters of Esso XD-3 full synthetic 0W-30 and an OEM or Napa Gold filter look like real bargains at an actual cost of around 25$ per.

And I get to do it myself on a warm engine and know exactly what I put in it.

Talking about Mobil 1, I bought a 5 litre jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 at under C$30 at Walmart. Took some looking (cracking open some sealed unmarked white boxes), but I got it. default_cool

I also had a 5 quart jug of regular Pennzoil bought in August for C$7.69+tax, together with 1.4L of leftover from Camry's April oil change. and another 3 litre bottles of Mobil 1. Now I have a stockpile of 14 litres of motor oil so some have to go. I still have time to return the Pennzoil jug.

I eventually want to go all synthetic.

Which jug should I return? Mobil 1 or Pennzoil?

Be carefull with your recommendation. Someone doing only several thous a year would not be able to do your 20000km intervals!

I agree fully. This interval is only for cars that see a lot of highway miles.

friendly_jacek

Talking about Mobil 1, I bought a 5 litre jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 at under C$30 at Walmart. Took some looking (cracking open some sealed unmarked white boxes), but I got it. default_cool

I also had a 5 quart jug of regular Pennzoil bought in August for C$7.69+tax, together with 1.4L of leftover from Camry's April oil change. and another 3 litre bottles of Mobil 1. Now I have a stockpile of 14 litres of motor oil so some have to go. I still have time to return the Pennzoil jug.

Keep both, oils prices are going up. Consider it an investment. default_wink

I have 50+ qts of various oils for 2 cars and a boat.

Bikeman982

I agree fully. This interval is only for cars that see a lot of highway miles.

I put on over a hundred miles per day. Is that considered a lot??

Bikeman982

You can probably just use your various oils as you do the regular oil changes. I don't think you will have any problem mixing different brands.

I was at my local Super Wal*Mart today, and I decided I'd try letting them do my oil change, since I was overdue. I had a new Toyota filter with me in the car, so I specified that they use that filter and Mobil 1. The oil change only took 45 minutes, exactly how long they said it would. I even asked them to give me my Mobil 1 empty quart bottles back, and they were packed two each in a plastic bag and left on the floor in front of the front passenger seat. Apparently they even vacuumed my carpets, in spite of the fact that I only ordered the basic oil and filter change. The price with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30 was $38.00 (USD), which included a $1.97 credit for bringing my own filter. Overall, I found their service to be quite satisfactory!

I was at my local Super Wal*Mart today, and I decided I'd try letting them do my oil change... Overall, I found their service to be quite satisfactory!

You are lucky. There have been horror stories floating around about oil changes at these places.

friendly_jacek

I was at my local Super Wal*Mart today, and I decided I'd try letting them do my oil change... Overall, I found their service to be quite satisfactory!

You are lucky. There have been horror stories floating around about oil changes at these places.

Any time you ask someone to change your oil you are asking for problems. But I had more problems with "professionals" at dealers than folks working for walmart.

Bikeman982

I was at my local Super Wal*Mart today, and I decided I'd try letting them do my oil change, since I was overdue. I had a new Toyota filter with me in the car, so I specified that they use that filter and Mobil 1. The oil change only took 45 minutes, exactly how long they said it would. I even asked them to give me my Mobil 1 empty quart bottles back, and they were packed two each in a plastic bag and left on the floor in front of the front passenger seat. Apparently they even vacuumed my carpets, in spite of the fact that I only ordered the basic oil and filter change. The price with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30 was $38.00 (USD), which included a $1.97 credit for bringing my own filter. Overall, I found their service to be quite satisfactory!
Not too bad, considering it saved you the time that it would have taken you to do it yourself. Of course if you don't take into account the labor cost, it works out to about $10 for a quart of oil. That job would be cheaper if you did it yourself (if you had the time). Glad that you had a good experience, since there are Superstores going up everywhere these days.

Topic List