Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

car holds back power....

Guest tkejoe450

I zip tied a k&n filter to my car a few years ago and now when I step on the gas hard it feels like the car is sucking back power. Like it's getting choked or something. So today I took the negative part of the battery out and put it back and let the car idle for 10 minutes, after I did that the car is even worse. Now when I step on the gas the car barely moves, it's like it's getting no air at all. If anyone has had the same problem or knows of how I can deal with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

If your car feels that it is not making power at higher RPMs and WOT - then it might be several things that you can check on. Provided that after the change to the K&N - the car ran much better.

Things to check:

- dirty K&N filter or too much oil

- use a ring clamp or hose clamp to fix the filter, zip-ties can work loose or leak.

- make sure that all electrical connections and hoses are still attached to the intake.

- may need to clean the throttle body - could be gummed up.

- bad O2 sensor

- bad temperature sensor

- faulty MAF sensor (if equipped)

- faulty or weak ignition system

Also, if your reset your ECM by removing the negative battery cable, don't let it idle for that long - get in and drive around. By idling it - the ECM didn't see all the different throttle positions and different air temperatures. Basically it thinks normal is idle speed only. Might be a good idea to have it scanned (if OBD-II) or do self-diagnositics to find out.

Good Luck.

Guest TrIm4U

Hey buddy,

With the K&N filters they let ALL air through..there is a time when your car is intaking too much air and the exhaust isn't dispursing it quick enough to keep up...

I recently put cold air intake in my car. put a pipe down into the front bar. works a treat with a K&N highflow filter and can certainly feel the difference in power and its so much more responsive. I had to get a new exhaust put on so's that the gAsses etc werent backing up within the exhaust pipe. by doing this i simply had a 3" canon put on. The muffler boxes at the end of the corollas exhaust has 5 or 6 chambers in which the air needs to flow through before escaping into the atmosphere...sounds like you are having the! when you plant your foot you can literally hear the air get sucked in! i can now after moving the pipe to the front bar. and the speed that the air goes in no way can a standard exhaust set up keep up with it.

Topic List