Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest lsw00kor

Hello.

I own a '94 Corolla.

My car is still equipped with factory-mounted speakers and the cAssette player & radio. Now, when I listen to music with the bass knob maximized, it generates some noise from the front, not from the rear speakers.

This phenomenon is on and off, but is really annoying.

This problem is more complicated because I've been considering installing a new CD receiver. If the speakers are problematic, I'll need to change the whole system, including the speakers and the receiver.

Can anybody give me advice?

Thank you very much for reading this.

With any speakers you should not play them with the bass knob all the way to the right. Factory speakers are usually very cheap. Could be that the cone ripped since they are made of cheap paper and quite old. If you install new speakers, do not play them at full value. Most likely you will get distortiong, which is the NUMBER 1 killer of speakers.

I'm guessing it's distortion you are hearing with the bass all the way up. I know my cheap factory speakers began buzzing when the paper cones deteriorated. I think my car was only 5 years old at the time.

Bunch of things could be causing strange noises to come from your front speakers. Ghost and Breogan24 make a good points - could be excessive distortion from the speakers. Since the OEM speakers cannot reproduce the low bass at a certain volume - the cone may be moving further than what the "spider" will let you.

Could also be the bracket holding the speaker in there - could be loose or working its way loose. Could also be the cone or cone surround is damaged - this may explain the intermittent behavior.

If you are planning to upgrade your sound system - best to replace both the speakers and the head unit. The speakers upgrade will give you the most sound improvement - a better head unit will generally be able to provide more power or cleaner sound to the upgraded speakers.

NOTE: Usually a bad idea to upgrade just the head unit - the OEM speakers are usually rated at 10W to 25W max, where most aftermarket head units will be able to push out 15W to 35W RMS. This will just aggrevate the distortion issue - since your existing speakers cannot handle the power.

Good Luck.

Topic List