Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

5sfe

by smashinghead, September 7, 2005

What would be involved in dropping a 5sfe into a 1994 corolla with a 4afe. i know this engine is the same year celica and the st celica has the 4afe. so i didn't know if the 5sfe would just drop right in the corolla.

5SFE (2.2L inline four) is not a drop in fit for a car originally set with a 4AFE. The amount of work would be similar to dropping in a 3SGE (2.0L G-headed variant). Mounts are close - but I know they need to be moved around a bit (comparing the mounts on a Camry with 5SFE and Corlla with 7AFE).

I persoanlly would rather drop in a 4AGE into the Corolla - mounts are the same and amount of work is minimal compared to the 5SFE swap. Performance gains would be higher with the 4AGE with the right bolt ons - but the 5SFE would be stronger, torque-wise, from the start.

What are the specs of the 4age? I am a big fan of torque. That is why I wanted to know about the 5sfe. What is big difference between the 4afe and the 4age.

The 4AGE and 4AFE share the same basic platform (DOHC, block size, bore, stroke, belt driven timing, etc.) - but are distinctly different.

4AFE is the fuel efficient 16-valve variant with some tuning potential and sat around 100-105HP / 100-105ftlbs.

The 4AGE was the performance oriented engine, tuned by Yamaha, and is well known for its tuning potential. Was available as a 16v or 20v engine, a factory supercharged variant (4AGZE) and some of the later 20v had VVT on the intake side. Power runs from 130-160HP / 100-140ftlbs, depending on the variant.

Other engines from the Toyota lineup that might work as a swap

- 7AFE (1.8L) found in later models andcertain trim levels in the 7th generation Corolla. Usually runs 105-115HP / 115-117ftlbs depending on emissions.

-3SGE, 3SGTE, 5SFE will also work but need significant modifications - might not make much sense money-wise (be cheaper to buy the car with a better engine from the start).

now_driving_VW

The basic thing is the "G" head versus the "F" head.

The F-head is the fuel economical head with a narrow angle between the intake and exhaust valve (iirc around 45° degrees).

"G" heads are about 90° valve angle spacing.

you also have a slightly higher compression ratio, 10:1 on the GE vs. 9.5:1 on the FE.

Some of the GE motors also had the TVIS system, which is a 2-stage intake manifold system (basically what ACIS is today)

Later versions got 20 Valves (3 intake and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder) and VVT (2-stage cam phasing intake variable valve timing) or VVT-i (last version of the 4A-GE 20-Valve) (165 hp for the VVT and 170 hp for the VVT-i)

The later MKI MR2 got the 4A-GZE, supercharged and put out about 150hp.

The Geo Prizm GSi as well as the Corolla FX-16, and corolla couple GT-S (FWD) also got the 4A-GE making about 130 hp.

Guest ejclide

what cars were the 4GZE in? I'm looking to swap something into a 93 corolla DX with the 7AFE in it, and the GE looks promising. I just need to find one in a junkyard and rebuild it.

Bikeman982

What would be involved in dropping a 5sfe into a 1994 corolla with a 4afe. i know this engine is the same year celica and the st celica has the 4afe. so i didn't know if the 5sfe would just drop right in the corolla.
I would think you would need to change the motor mounts (maybe have to get some made up special) and change the main electrical wiring harness, as well as the ECU/ECM. I don't know if you could use the original transmission, or change that as well. If you change the transmission, you may need different mounts and different length drive shafts, as well.

Topic List