Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Wrong Speedometer Reading

by kevinng, April 12, 2004

I have a 93 Corolla, which runs really fine now. However, the speedometer seems to be showing the wrong speed. It got progressively worse over time, and it got real bad just after I replaced my engine mounts and all 3 belts in my last round of maintenance.

Basically, it is shows a speed of about 20km/h too fast right now. So, when I am going at about 90-100 km/h (rush hour speed), the speedometer shows 110-120 km/h.... which is a bit worrying.

Does anyone know what's the problem? All suggestions appreciated. default_smile

I've been having a similiar problem with the speedo in my '93. Needle doesn't move till I hit 45mph or so and then it reads about 15mph too high. Needle tops out at the 67mph mark. If I continue to accelerate, the needle actually creeps backward... default_blink

The odometer still works.

Dealer tried to unplug the speed sensor but feared they would break it off so I told them to quit. (It would've been a $500 repair job if they broke the sensor) Anyway my speed sensor wasn't tested, but the dealer thought replacing the speedometer gauge would solve the problem.

I've just been living with it for now. default_sad

I too would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for your help. Do you know where does the speedometer gauge reside?

It's part of the instrument cluster... you know the thing with the needle default_tongue . Is it sold separately from the other gauges in the cluster?? Don't know yet. $218 for the part, here in Ohio.

Oh. The speedometer gauge is part of the cluster. Unfortunately, by changing the gauge, I would have to reset the odometer as well. default_sad

Yes updating the new odometer reading would be an issue. I'm told there's a gear inside that can be rotated to adjust reading. Would you have to rotate this gear for the equivalent of... 160K miles... or whatever? If so that would be impractical. Speedometer specialty service shop I visited charges $70 to set an odometer. That shop quoted me $500 or so to for a replacement job. Don't recall the exact price but it was something outrageous... way more than a dealer.

Sh*t! $500! default_sad

I have a 93 Corolla, which runs really fine now. However, the speedometer seems to be showing the wrong speed. It got progressively worse over time, and it got real bad just after I replaced my engine mounts and all 3 belts in my last round of maintenance.

Basically, it is shows a speed of about 20km/h too fast right now. So, when I am going at about 90-100 km/h (rush hour speed), the speedometer shows 110-120 km/h.... which is a bit worrying.

Does anyone know what's the problem? All suggestions appreciated. default_smile

Anyway ask the shop to test your speed sensor. If it's ok, then the problem would be the guage. That's the way I understand it anyway, not a mechanic, but I've asked a few questions. Maybe it just needs a recalibration or something.

*EDIT*: I have an excerpt from a Toyota shop manual in .PDF format. It covers procedure for checking the speedometer (tester tool required) and procedure for testing the speed sensor (mulitmeter/voltmeter required). This is for the 7A-FE and 4A-FE engines and includes diagrams that I cannot post here. Use either the email or pm button under this post to send me your email address so I can mail you this .PDF as an attachment. default_smile

Topic List