Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Gas Prices Now, Hari H. Chrishna...

by 01loadedLE, August 31, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

man alive $2.76 a gallon for 87 regular octane here today, our country is going down the drain. what price are you getting robbed at right now? default_blink

$2.97 in Hoffman Estates, IL.

2 days ago it was $2.65. today it's $2.99! I haven't been robbed yet. but eventually, i will need to be...

Guest kemeyers

Many economists are predicting that the price of gas will be over $3.50 a gallon for six months or so because of Hurricane Katrina...

friendly_jacek

Many economists are predicting that the price of gas will be over $3.50 a gallon for six months or so because of Hurricane Katrina...

Ditto,

the oil riggs are washing ashore here in AL. You can buy no gas in lower MS and LA and little in lower AL. I agree that gas will be at least $3 for many months to come and likely gas shortages for the Labor Day. Long overdue wakeup call for US.

As of yesterday, gas at Sams Club was 2.69 with mebership. I think speedway matches that price, but I can't get close to the fuel economy I should with speedway gas, so I don't go there.

I think gas could top $3 by this travel weekend. We are leaving town and we will spend more then ever on gas, but it is doable with the Corolla.

gasbuddy.com says that the Citgo on Taylor St. & Dan Ryan X-way in Chicago is $3.49. YUCK!!!!!!!!!

I hope once the US has cleaner diesel standards (hopefully in 06), that Toyota will have supper high economy diesel cars on the market. My inlaws have two VW TDi,s and they get great fuel economy, but they cost too much for upkeep and the intakes get clogged because of current diesel standards. However, if gas keeps going up, then they might be cheaper even tho they cost a lot to keep up. I hope for once that the US learns that oil is not something that will always be easy to get and that we need to have good fuel economy cars and stick to it. I don't know if we can ever escape the leash that the oil industry holds, but bio-diesel is the best choice for the US. We have more then enough corn to go around and we can make all of it state side. We don't need to be dependent on oil aside from motor oil and tires, but that can be recycled and we could supply our own oil for that. If I can buy a Toyota diesel Corolla in two years, I will be the first in line to buy one and I will make my own bio-diesel fuel. I really hope that happens. If not, I might be getting a VW TDi because bio-diesel cars are already in use from people who make it themselves and it can be made with used oil or new oil. The VW clogged intake problem probably wouldn't happen with bio-diesel. They clog because the EGR system puts too much sulfer back in the intake manifold. Common Toyota, make US diesel cars!!!!! I'm not a big fan of VW, but they really do get 45MPG. I borrowed a TDi wagon and drove about 500 miles on a tank before the gas light came on. I drove from Indinapolis to Toledo and beyond, back in Indy, then drove from Indy to Crawfordsville and back, then did shopping all on the same freaken tank of gas. We drove about 70-75MPH on the HWY too. I'm pretty sure we used the AC the whole time.

Max

$2.36 in central Kentucky.

Ti-Jean

I paid $1.079 a liter on Monday night.

Tuesday, it went up to $1.15, or so.

On the news at noon, they showed stations going up to $1.349...

I couldn't help but bought 200 shares of Petro-Canada stock yesterday. Canadian oil and gas companies that have little to no operations in the gulf of Mexico will make money by the boat load. In fact, an integrated like PCA makes money 3 times. Production at these record prices, refining margins like never before and retail.

Local media here fail to give a clear picture of all the devastation in NO and the Gulf coast. Even CNN probably didn't have access yet to all the rigs in the Gulf, pipelines, port facilities, refineries, etc. When we get a clear picture of that, things could only get worse.

In addition, roads, bridges and causeways are destroyed and NO is under 10 feet or more of water. How long will it take to restore the power and repair all those facilities, refineries and infrastructures?

I'm afraid we're in for a mini crisis that could last several months.

BTW, on CNN, right between reports of the devastation and soaring fuel prices, GM is running ads of their big SUV's, Yukon, etc. If I were GM, I think I'd pull those adds for a while...

Guest 2003Rollaman

$3.19 a gallon here in Indianapolis at most stations.

$3.49 a gallon at others in Indianapolis

Guest dboy

$2.59 in Lakewood, WA

Max

So much for my earlier reply. That was before I left work and saw what had happened across the entire U.S. Price here is now $3.09 for regular.

Don't we all look smart driving around in Corolla. Those foolish SUV driver are not going to be smiling for much longer. I vision a SUV grave yard in every state and province in North America.

I believe that until people realize that gas prices WILL CONTINUE TO RISE INTO THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE, AND THAT THERE IS NO TURNING BACK TO CHEAP GAS, people in this great country will tend to lean away from what's sensible.

Mr. Ed

$2.59 a gallon for regular at the Gulf station here in Western PA.

Guest kemeyers

I hope gas prices stay at $4/gallon. Our country needs to break its addiction to foreign oil, and if $4-5/gallon gas is what gets people to stop buying SUVs and start riding the bus, then I'm all for it.

$2.69 yesterday $2.99 today. I'd love to drive 500 mpg on one tank of gas. I'll have to see how many miles I get w/one tank on my Corolla.

It seems at times it gulps gas real fast. Like I fill the tank and within a few hours it's already used up 1/4 of a tank, and I know I don't drive around that much. Probably 40 miles in a day.

I haven't noticed anything leaking, so I dunno...

I was so shocked having to pay $20 bucks for my gas yesterday...,but I can't even imagine what those SUV drivers must be paying...

Guest dboy

I hope gas prices stay at $4/gallon. Our country needs to break its addiction to foreign oil, and if $4-5/gallon gas is what gets people to stop buying SUVs and start riding the bus, then I'm all for it.

default_laugh I'm all with you on that. SUVs and large trucks are killing the roads. The drivers don't know or just don't care about the size of their vehicle. Sorry for getting a bit off topic.

This is eerily similar to the oil shock of the 70s. Americans got used to bigger, heavier, more powerful and obnoxious vehicles, and when the shock occurred folks flocked to the smaller Toyotas and Hondas.

It's played out all over again, because we're generally too stupid to save ourselves. Instead of giant Cadillacs, we have giant Hummers and Tahoes.

BTW: We're having shortages in central Alabama. Thank someone driving an obnoxious SUV the next time you're beside one at the pump.

Highest I saw today was $4.98/gallon at a BP in Gainesville GA (NE of Atlanta). There were a few in Atlanta charging $7!!!! per gallon for regular.

I blaim the government to allow car makers to make useless large SUVs. Automakers are going to make what people want and for some reason, American's want everything big. Not sure why, but the auto makers are going to make what people want.

Trucks in general tho are really needed by some people. I just don't understand why soccer moms need them to go to the store in. Our Corolla got rearended awhile back and we were stuck with a Jeep Cherokee Laredo. It was either that or a Grand Prix and I hate them. For the most part, it wasn't very practical, but at least it had a V6 in it and I couldn't hear the gas being sucked in. When we left town tho, the thing was great. We fit everything in it and we had room left over for our dog to lay down on her bed and look out the factory tinted windows. I don't think I would buy one unless I won the lottary, but if gas prices weren't so freaken high, I'd rent one for this weekend cause the Corolla can get a little cramped for long trips. Also, to make sure I made full use of the Jeep, I took it on a muddy road and slung mud all over it. I probably was in .05% of all 05 jeeps that got mud past the bumpers. If I had the money tho, I would probably get one and only put 5K miles on it a year cause I would only use it for hauling, not for buying milk.

$3.39 a gallon in southeast Wisconsin and climbing...

Guest unitas

Between 2.99 and 3.39 for regular from what I've seen so far in Raleigh, NC. Someone at work told me today that the stations where she lives are all out of regular. Only the upper grades are still available.

In Europe, they've been paying more than this for gas for many years. The first time I visited there in 1986 I was paying between 3.50 and 4.00 a gallon at that time.

We've been spoiled here for so long. We'll see how this plays out. I see the big suv's whizzing by me on the highway at over 80 mph. They don't seem too worried about gas prices for some reason.

I suspect that once the shock wears off, we will get used to it. Many folks in Germany who I believe sitll have no speed limit (at least they still didn't in 2000) regularly fly along at over 120 mph so those people aren't too worked up over the price of gas.

From what I've read, around 45% of cars sold in Europe (or was it just Germany?) are diesel. As others are pointing out in another thread, if prices stay high we may see a proliferation of that here as well.

I don't like the higher prices any more than anyone else but I sat through the lines in the 1970's when I got up at 6 a.m. to wait in a line that was already more than a mile long for gas stations that didn't open until 7 a.m. and closed for the day at 10 a.m. They were only open for 3 hours a day.

As long as we have gas available, we'll be lucky. Katrina has only caused most of us a tiny irratation compared to what it did to all of those people along the Gulf Coast. My heart goes out to all in that region and hope that help gets there soon.

Time will tell.

Highest I saw today was $4.98/gallon at a BP in Gainesville GA (NE of Atlanta). There were a few in Atlanta charging $7!!!! per gallon for regular.

we need price caps asap on the oil monopolies this is rediculous. I hope whoever is charging $7 there gets prosecuted. seeing these high prices made me fill up again at $2.79 today without feeling as raped as before but this is rediculous.

people have expressed their beliefs on here so I will too. Im not starting a debate Im stating my take on this as others have done so if you disagree with me dont try to get me into a debate on this because I wont do it. youre free to express your beliefs and so am I, and Im not changing mine any sooner than you are yours.

I believe the suvs are not the main problem. we have the ability to be energy independent with untold oil amounts right here in america but exploration and production are prevented due to worry about sweet mother earth and her wildlife. thats who you can thank is the govt caving into the environmentalists instead of having the scrotal security to build more refineries and dig for more oil.

conservation is not the answer to this problem. reguardless of what people drive they still have to get to where theyre going and back. I for one dont want to reduce america to public transportation by bus or train. Ideally if I want to conserve anything it is the freedom to buy and drive what we want instead of giving up freedoms left and right like americans are so prone to doing.

It's great to finally see other people who want gas prices to stay high! default_smile I've stopped talking about that with real life people because they look at me like I'm crazy. I hope gas prices stay around $3/gal (here in Texas) and definitely not above $4, though.

>>we need price caps asap on the oil monopolies this is rediculous.

On the one hand you talk about freedom, and yet suggest a government controlled gas industry. I think that's inconsistent.

>>people have expressed their beliefs on here so I will too. Im not starting a debate Im stating my take on this as others have done so if you disagree with me dont try to get me into a debate on this because I wont do it. youre free to express your beliefs and so am I, and Im not changing mine any sooner than you are yours.

You've stated before that you get "bored" when others question you on why you believe what you believe (particularly after slandering a man like John McCain). You stating your opinion, and me stating mine, without any meaningful discourse--what's the fun in that? Are you sayiing you're finished growing? Finished learning? I would think you'd want to test your opinions and beliefs. If they're right, they'll hold up to scrutiny.

>>I believe the suvs are not the main problem. we have the ability to be energy independent with untold oil amounts right here in america but exploration and production are prevented due to worry about sweet mother earth and her wildlife. thats who you can thank is the govt caving into the environmentalists instead of having the scrotal security to build more refineries and dig for more oil.

SUVs drive down the average fuel economy of the US, which causes us to consume more gas. Consumption of more gas eats up more of the supply, which causes gas prices to rise. I don't doubt there's some price gouging going on, or cartel action by the giant oil companies, but in the long term it comes down to Econ 101 with supply and demand over a very finite resource.

>>conservation is not the answer to this problem. reguardless of what people drive they still have to get to where theyre going and back. I for one dont want to reduce america to public transportation by bus or train. Ideally if I want to conserve anything it is the freedom to buy and drive what we want instead of giving up freedoms left and right like americans are so prone to doing.

There are some who are suggesting that the elevated rate of hurricanes and their severity can be attributed to the warming of the Gulf Coast, which can be further attributed to the overall problem of Global Warming. You can pretend that the problem doesn't exist, and want to believe that it doesn't exist, but it does. I would expect, given the rhretoric to which you are prone, that you would call yourself a conservative--check the root word there, dude--it's "conserve." It's a great "moral" ethic to be prudent and frugal, and to be a good steward of resources.

Hello 01loadedle ; If you really do not have any respect for my sweet mother earth; Perhaps you should move out of mother earth and find some other planet. Let me know when you do.

The problem is not the SUV. It's the "American way" that is the problem. Everything has to be BIG. This must change or else whole world will suffer along.

Look at the big picture man.

Topic List