Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Clay Bar

by 112263, August 28, 2005

Dear Gents:

This thread follows the thread I started about a week ago on "white flakes and specks" from too much wax (Meguiar's Gold class).

I looked at numerous stores today and finally found a clay bar at the Canadian Tire store at St. Clair and Keele in Toronto. It came as a set for $25 and includes a small clay bar, a bottle of spray, and a small bottle of wax. Made by Mother's.

I gather that I am supposed to:

a. wash the car;

b. spray the stuff on an area

c. use the clay bar on the wet area.

Questions:

- as the clay bar picks up stuff from the car, doesn't this material become imbedded in the bar, so that the bar gradually becomes abrasive to the car?

- does anyone know where I can buy a plain clay bar?

- are there any helpful hints or pointers that anyone can give.

There are numerous links on how to use a clay body on a particular finish.

You are correct that the dirt lifted from the car will be embedded in the clay bar - that is exactly how it is supposed to work. The spray lubricant and the properties of the clay bar help reduce the chance of scratching the finish of the car. You have to constantly rotate / turn / knead the clay bar so that a clean face is always used against the car's finish. Eventually the clay will be completely filled with dirt and will have to be discarded.

I've only seen only clay bars sold individually on online retailers. Most of the packages in autoparts outlets are bundled with spary and clay together. Its been my experience that I will run out of spray lubricant way before I run out of fresh clay. You can either buy another kit or use the many spray and wipe quick detailer products as a substitute.

Some tips:

- wash the car thoughly before you use the clay bar.

- use plently of lube, will prevent the clay in sticking to the finish and make it easier on you.

- if you drop the clay bar, they generally recommend you discard it (little pebbles from the ground will be too deeply embedded to dig out).

- you can either rewash the entire car or use extra lube and wipe each area down as you get done. Best to seal the finish at the end with a good wax or sealer.

- remember that the clay bar will not remove swirls or scratches, you can treat those afterwards with a scratch filler or polish - then finish with wax or sealer.

Max

Pardon my overstating the obvious, but you have to use lube with the clay bar. You probably won't find a bar sold without it. I found "Clay Magic" bar and lube (w/out wax) at a reasonable price.

Pardon my overstating the obvious, but you have to use lube with the clay bar. You probably won't find a bar sold without it. I found "Clay Magic" bar and lube (w/out wax) at a reasonable price.

I rarely use the lubes that come with it. All they are is quick detailers that leave a wax residue after use. I always use a spray bottle with a capful of carwash soap filled with water.

The mothers kit you got isn't very good quality. About the only store bought kit I would buy would be the Clay Magic.

scoob,

the mothers kit is the one I bought from autozone. what didnt you like about it compared to clay magic?

scoob,

the mothers kit is the one I bought from autozone. what didnt you like about it compared to clay magic?

I just thought it was too soft. The store brand Mothers and Meguiars kits are too soft, IMO. Either get the Clay Magic kit, or go to a detail shop or body shop and get the pro line Meguiars.

Thanks for all the advice.

Topic List