Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Want Mileage Increase

Guest lAssendavey

In my 2003 Corolla LE, I drive LOTS of miles on the job. I have added K&N replacement air filter, and have seen a slight gain. From the other discussions, I am hearing that wider tires only decrease mileage and speed performance.

I currently have Goodyear OEM tires now. The Dunlop A2's are highly rated, but not sure about other specs. Any suggestions as to really good, long wearing and high mileage tires? I once added Toyo's on my 86 Camry and they sucked in cornering, and do not want to lose that either. Are larger diameter tire sizes helpful in this regard, such as going to a 16 inch from my stock 15 inch wheels?

Also, anyone have experience in adding a MPG gauge, such as the one that Whitney sells? Any other suggestions as to mileage, while maintaining the overall handling performance?

Many thanks!

Dave

Guest wwset2003

I never buy anything but michelins. Usually from sam's club outlets. Have tried others, but the michelins always ride better and are quieter. The models I use usually have approx. an 80K mileage warranty and run about $84/tire at sams.

I found that the OEM Goodyears were particularly lacking in traction in dry / wet / snow. Dunlop A2 are a big step from the Goodyear Integrity tires - you will notice a big difference in grip, especially in wet weather, and ride is much quieter. Wear is going to be about the same.

As for picking a tire - it depends on what matters most to you. Ususally comparing the UTQG rating is useful for comparing similar tires can help narrow your search - then it is up to capabilities in dry, wet, snow, ice, combination weather, low noise, high wear resistance, lower rolling resistance, load rating, etc.

You mentioned corning - you could go up to a 16 inch wheel and stay the same width - but lower the aspect ratio. Lower profile usually nets you better corning at a cost to ride quality and road noise. But with the stock springs and stock sound deadening - most people can't tell. Remember that tire is a balance of giving and taking. If you want longer treadlife - you give up corning ability or heat resistance. If you want better summer performance - you give up winter capability. Not as bad now with better tread materials - but still some comprimises have to be made.

Try looking at www.Tirerack.com for ratings and fitments. This link to NHSTA has a good writeup on UTQG http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/UTQG/Index.cfm.

That MPG gauge from JC Whitney - basically indicates the air to fuel ratio - the closer you are to 14.7 (ideal) the gasoline is burned most efficiently. Helpful with tuning the car (turbo project, etc.) but other-wise nothing earth shattering. You actually could cause more problems - since this splices in with your O2 sensor's wiring. I personally wouldn't get that - just something else to distract you while driving.

Good Luck.

For better fuel economy:

• Keep the tires inflated on the high side. The more pressure, the better the fuel economy

• Driving at speeds higher than 55 mph reduces fuel economy. It gets significantly worse when you're above 70 MPH.

• Keep the windows rolled up when highway driving. Use the A/C if you get hot.

I have a 2001 Corolla CE (3A).

I notice that if I drive ABOVE 75mph on the freeway, my MPG drops to about 26-28mpg. When I keep my speed around 60-70mph, my Corolla gives about 32-35mpg.

Guest Luc295

I bought a 2003 Corolla S a year ago and I keep track of my mpg for every gas tank. I put in Regular 87 octane gas. I drive mostly in the city main roads with some highway but rarely in traffic. My average driving is done at 60km/h - 80km/h. I seem to average at 28mpg which seems pretty low. I've bottomed out at 21mpg (winter) and gone as high as 32mpg (first summer). I was expecting to be getting 32-35 at the lowest. Is there something I am doing wrong? Should I get my car checked? I just gAssed up with 89.5 octane gas to see if there is a significant difference. Everything on my car is stock. My tires are at 32psi (They were at 28psi front - 30psi back until recently. That's what the dealer set them to at my last oil change. And I only have 18000km on the car (very low).

Please help.

Thanks.

Luc

Topic List