Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By RAV4EVR, August 11, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

The Prius is a great looking car--very purposeful. I forgot to mention it in my very short list of appealingly-styled Toyotas.

Gramps:

I agree - the Prius is a very attractively styled automobile. I think their full-sized pickups, and the SUV's they are based on, are just plain butt-ugly.

I think the prius is literally butt ugly myself with its wierd rear end, but my grandparents own one and love it. default_laugh

that new civic...makes me...uurrrr...excuse me I'll be right back...

ok

mmm...mazda 3 looks so nice...

I was very close to getting a mazda 3 over the corolla simply because of the looks, even though everything else was screaming no to me.

luckily, the saleman was completely inept, and I ended up with a corolla default_wink

[off topic]regarding the whole turbine turban thing...just remember, you can't judge people by a few un-representative examples you see on TV. If you only judged the world by what you saw on the news, I'm sure we'd all commit suicide from despair. Only the worst, most extreme cases and individuals are 'fit for TV' and the mainstream media. Fear sells.[/off topic]

My order of preference, in terms of looks:

1) Previous Jetta

2) Mazda 3

3) new Jetta

4) new civic

5) Ford Focus

6) old civic

7) current Corolla.

Let's see, just for kicks, here's my order of preference.

1)new Jetta

2)Mazda 3

3)current Corolla

4)previous Jetta

5)old Focus

6)new Civic

7)old Civic

The Mazda and Corolla may be tied for 2nd, IMO

I agree - the Prius is a very attractively styled automobile. I just wish the wheels were a bit larger -- they almost don't appear to be on the same scale as the rest of the car.

In general, I like the styling of Toyota's automobiles, but their trucks are a much different story. I think their full-sized pickups, and the SUV's they are based on, are just plain butt-ugly.

The size of the wheels no doubt has something to do with efficiency--rolling resistance, unsprung weight, all that stuff.

Has to . . because you're right--it's definitely out of whack. On the Prius, though, it's way more forgivable because you know what they're going for. On any other car, it'd just say "cheap."

so far as looks goes I say the new mustang is the best, great design. the new gto however is horrible even though it'd be a blast to drive.

so far as looks goes I say the new mustang is the best, great design. the new gto however is horrible even though it'd be a blast to drive.

I have to agree, tho I wonder how it will "age." It is stunning when you first see it.

There are cars that knocked me out when they were unveiled--the new Altima comes to mind--but aren't pleasing to my eye at all any more.

Then there are cars that puzzle me, but then grow on me. The latest Honda accord is one

The Mustang just about floored me--hopefully it'll grow on me too.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the GTO "horrible," but I would agree that it's a bit too understated for its mission in life (balls-out horsepower).

Other cars that are neatly styled:

Infinity G35 Coupe - see it in black, with tinted windows. It looks like Darth Vader's car. Totally Bad ######.

Fort GT - if there ever was a Hot Wheels car for grownups, this is it. Wow, Wow, Wow.

Mustang - 'nuff said.

3 Series BMW - the definition of cool, particularly in the 330i range, with the big wheels, lo profile tires.

Hummer - I hate it, but they knocked it out of the park, style wise.

PT Cruiser - I admire them just for making it. We're used to it now, but it took a big set to bring it to market.

Mazda Miata - I'd prefer fewer curves, but the overall mission of this car is appealing. Speaking of grownups - this is a go-kart for grownups.

Mini Cooper - again, Like No Other.

Chrysler 300C - this car is too often associated with the Bling scene - but otherwise I love the long-hood/short deck hot-rod look.

yah the g35 looks like that audi[cant remember, a6, a3?] either way it looks good but I like the tail lights on the audi much better.

yes, the gt is awesome. not a car you'd need given the high gas prices but oh such a car you'd want.

the only reason the mustangs would look awesome at first then get boring is because you'll likely see 10 million of them. theyre still great looking cars though, they kept to the original shape instead of a total redesign like they did on the gto which is why I say horrible because it should atleast look similar to its sibling.

Aside from the rear end, the new Civic looks just like a Corolla!  Same exact body shape!  (At least by those pictures).

By the way, 01loadedLE, good job on spelling "turban" correctly.  No joke- every person I have seen writing the word "turban" in the last 6 months has spelled it "turbine".  I always laugh imagining someone walking around with a jet engine on top of their head.

Huh? I don't see it at all.

This is all about opinion. You're entitled to yours, but to me this is a MUCH better looking car than its predecessor, and the current Corolla.

I like the shoulder ridge running the lenght of the car. The concave tail-end looks more crisp and sporty, without being pretentious. Maybe shades of the BMW 3 Series? Hey, if you're going to copy, BMW ain't a bad place to start. The bulbous rear-end of the new Corolla is one its MANY stylnig miscues.

The profile is more rakish and striking, with more of a long-hood-short-deck classic look. It also doesn't look like it's standing on its tippy-toes, stretched vertically like the wobbly-looking Corolla does.

I might go so far as to call it handsome. The Corolla . . . ain't.

My order of preference, in terms of looks:

1) Previous Jetta

2) Mazda 3

3) new Jetta

4) new civic

5) Ford Focus

6) old civic

7) current Corolla.

With the exception of maybe the Scion xA and tC and the new Avalon, Toyotas are plagued by a me-too styling philosophy. You can see "marketing research" all over them. For almost every segment--Corolla, Camry, 4 Runner, Tundra, Tacoma--I can think of a bunch of things I hate about their styling, and find much better looking counterparts elsewhere (Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Explorer, F150, Chevy Colorado, respectively).

Having said that, I think I'd still buy the Corolla if I had to do it all over again, for all the other obvious reasons.

Like you said................. "It is all a matter of opinion... "

I have mine below..

I had a brand new JETTA once for 4 months... I learned my lesson. I would rather pierce my eye balls with sewing needles than ever look at the stupid Volkswagens (cool wannabs) again. The current genration Jetta rear lights are more like a Corolla, an insult for the Corolla.

lol, we see several jettas around here and they seem like theyre pretty peppy. I like their looks but I assume by your post theyre unreliable. what happened with yours? I know the bugs were unreliable from personal experience, I and alot of other friends that had them at the time spent alot of time fixing them.

lol, we see several jettas around here and they seem like theyre pretty peppy. I like their looks but I assume by your post theyre unreliable. what happened with yours? I know the bugs were unreliable from personal experience, I and alot of other friends that had them at the time spent alot of time fixing them.

My wife and I saved for a long time to pay CASH for our first new car. My wife told me that I am always buying TOYOTAS and need to try something different in life... Why did I listen to her.

Bought a brand new 01 Jetta. Here are the problems that I encountered in the FIRST FOUR MONTHS (8000 miles)

1.The engine started BURNING OIL.

2.The BLOWER MOTOR (when turned ON) vibrated my brake/clutch/accelerator PEDALS.

3.The front bumper started FADING PAINT.

4.The right left splash guard FELL OFF because the mount points were weak.

5.The trunk shocks died within a month.

Oh and did I mention, the DEALER TOLD ME THAT ALL THAT WAS NORMAL FOR VOLKWAGEN AND WON'T HONOR ANY WARRANTY................ ?

My wife got preganant and we were about to have a baby so we traded that piece of ##$% for a RAV4... I have owned many many USED/OLD Toyotas. I have never had 1% of problems that I had with that VW.

Oh did I also mention......... The car shined like there was not Tomorrow... It was so beautiful............ just so beautiful.............. Sooooooooo beautiful.....

I LOST $9000 in that shiny piece of crap, as it was SMOKING when I drove it to the dealer for a trade in.

Did I get a lemon and normally VWs are awesome cars?

OK.............

Let’s forget the Consumers Reports for a second here.

Listen to this......

My best friend had also bought a Volkswagen GOLF......... At 20,000 miles it needed a new TRANSMISSION........... That son of a b*** is back on Toyotas too now. He bought it after my experience and won't listen to me and learned his lesson himself.

I have only now started forgiving Jetta drivers on the road if they cut me off. Until about a year ago, it was KILL or BE KILLED strategy with the Jetta drivers....

Go see consumers reports.. VW is not far away from the LAND ROVER, which is usually OFF the charts for reliability.

When I was having my problems with that J. ( I can't even write its name so many times. Boils my blood.), I had lemon stickers all over the car and lemon pictures...Took it to the dealer many times and honked to show the customers there that they need to save themselves.

No......... I will NOT get over it....

Do NOT try to convince me about how wonderful Jettas here. U will be wasting ur time.

Yes... I am going out for a walk now..............

I know there are many Jetta lovers here. I just stated what I experienced. No offence to any of you or your beloved/shinny VWs.

Huh, I feel the same way about Nissan.

It's a shame that you can't reley on a brand name anymore. A name is all a company is tring to sell you anymore. I hope Toyota doesn't join the f*&k the customer and quality bandwagon.

VW, Nissan, and a good number of Mitsubishi's are worse in quality then Ford and GM.

Huh, I feel the same way about Nissan.

It's a shame that you can't reley on a brand name anymore. A name is all a company is tring to sell you anymore. I hope Toyota doesn't join the f*&k the customer and quality bandwagon.

VW, Nissan, and a good number of Mitsubishi's are worse in quality then Ford and GM.

I agree. Nissan has fallen back. It is not the 1970s Datsun anymore. The INFINITI, the best of that DATSUN, I heard is doing pretty well... !

from my earlier post on the audi I saw an a6 today so thats not the car I was thinking of since the a6 is a 4dr sedan, although it doesnt look too bad either.

the 90's 300z's are reliable from what I hear, its just that when the parts do wear out they are expensive. thats one nissan I wouldnt mind having, especially the twin turbo.

from my earlier post on the audi I saw an a6 today so thats not the car I was thinking of since the a6 is a 4dr sedan, although it doesnt look too bad either.

the 90's 300z's are reliable from what I hear, its just that when the parts do wear out they are expensive. thats one nissan I wouldnt mind having, especially the twin turbo.

Make sure enough TURBO parts are available on EBAY befor you purchase it.. default_biggrin

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)