Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Makes sense, but too good to be true?

Guest SpiceWeasel

What do you guys think about the turbine mufflers out there. i read the page and it seems to make sense, but im just a noob with no knowledge other than what i read in forums. im specifically thinking about the High Performance 2540i Muffler. does it seem like it would work for a corolla? they claim it will improve a civic vtec and i figured its similar to my 04 vvti corolla.

Turbine muffler

would you would put it on your car or am i just a sucker for anything with the word jet in it.

thanks in advance for replying to my first post.

Intriguing... however, some of it seems like pseudoscience. What is interesting is people are reporting reduced exhaust gas temperatures-- but cooler air is denser and moves more slowly, hence people wrapping their exhausts with insulation...

At the very least, it's made of T-304 stainless steel, so should last the life of the car.

With a Master's Degree in Physics under my belt - I can tell you that this is mostly BS. They throw in enough "techno babble" with seeming supporting explanations for how the muffler works - but the physics are all wrong - the performance gains, if true, can be had from other mechanisms not related to the "turbine / jet engine techonolgy / effect".

Still the muffler looks nice - pricewise it is similar to many of the aftermarket High Performance units. You get the increased torque from the increased backpressure from basically a diffuser inside the muffler at low speeds - higher speeds, the diffuser doesn't make much of a difference - so you won't lose power as the revs climb up - bigger tubing increases scavagening due to the extra volume. Basically it is just a fancy High Performance muffler - if you go out and cut one in half - they will essentially be constructed teh same way, just the little bits are shaped differently.

Why lower exhaust temps? Is it because of the "turbine" effect - nope. Simple physics - pressure and temperature are directly proportional to one another. If you increase the pressure, the temperature will increase - drop the pressure, temperature will drop. Run a bigger performance muffler and compare the temps to stock - they too will be lower, but not because of the "jet effect".

I have to give it to them - idea sounds good, unless you run the numbers / physics yourself.

Good luck.

Guest SpiceWeasel

Hey thank alot for the input, i will go look at some other types of mufflers. by the way could someone tell me the basic principle behind a cat back system? how does it work and why is it better than stock? thanx alot.

Cat back exhaust system - just means that they replace the exhaust system from the catalytic converter on back. They usually perform better than the stock exhaust because the bends in the tubing, diameter of the tubing, and components that make it up are usually larger and smoother.

Just keep in mind that an exhaust system can have a negative impact on performance. If you don't match the exhaust to the size of the engine correctly - you'll run into a problem with reduced backpressure. Not always a bad thing - but one of the most common side-effects is reduced torque. Making for a very sluggish off the line performance.

Usually larger displacement engines will benefit from a cat back exhaust work - but a smaller four cylinder will generally lose more power than gain it.

Good Luck.

Guest SpiceWeasel

Thanx for the info, i only ask because lots of people seem to have the cat backs, but i guess they have the mods to need it.

Topic List