Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tail Lights

Guest Spartan031

I was on ebay and found the circular lights, like the ones on the newer Corollas, for my 98 Corolla (I guess they're called altezza lights). Anyway, I have two questions for those on this board who know more than I do (in other words, anyone reading this): one, would these lights look good on a tan 98 Corolla (link below), and two, how would I take off the factory lights and put on the new lights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2470878073

If it looks good - that is more of a personal preference than anything else. Generally speaking - darker colored cars would tend to make these type of tail lights "pop" out more. But if you only added these lights and had no other modifications to the vehicle - would make your ride seem a bit unfinished or look weird.

Also keep in mind that, even though these are DOT approved - you might get still get hassled by the local law enforcement - not worth it for a small change in look.

Some OEM cars are coming with "altezza" like lights - but be wary of aftermarket "altezza" - unless they are made by a reputable company, I've seen many leak, have the foil lining peel off inside or get wrinkled, or not fit correctly to your vehicle.

If you are determined to get them - to remove your tail lamps - peel back the trunk liner - locate the screws and/or clips that hold on the lamp assembly - disconnect the wiring harnesses and carefully remove the lamp.

IMHO - going for the flash or "bling" is OK - your car is an extension of your personality and people are free to make whatever modifications they want to their own vehicle as long as those modifications fall inside of rules and regulations set by local / state / federal transportation safety laws. But you find that most people will quickly tire of the look and will trade the "show" for more "go". That is probably why this is on EBay to begin with.

Good luck

Guest Spartan031

Yeah that's why I was hesitant in the first place.. I had a feeling it might look out of place. Anyway I'm gonna try to do as much as I can under the hood, but I'm not big into cutting holes where they shouldn't be, so my mods will probably be limited to replacing factory parts with performance parts.

Sounds like a smart plan. Go for some performance boost over the visual boost for your ride - looks are more trendy and can come and go, but more performance is always a good thing. Looks are great - until you get out dragged by a 80s Toyota Tercel at the stop light.

Good luck.

Topic List