Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guage question

Guest psucorolla

the interior lights in my guage display(speedo, temp, gas) has burnt out. is this easy to replace? how do i replace this. i have the guage set that doesn't have a tach. i was wondering if i bought a guage setup that had a tach would it work properly if i hooked it up?? thanks

The gauge cluster is usually set as a unit - so depends on what you mean by easy. Check first if any fuses popped - could be as simple as a bad fuse or bad connection causing your lights to be out. If the bulbs are burned out - then you can reach behind the cluster to remove the bulbs - if you can reach them all. But if they all burned out at the same time - you should investigate the reason why. You could run into the same thing again if the new bulbs burn out because of a bad relay or short somewhere. Easiest way is to remove the entire cluster unit to take a peek. Count on at least two hours of labor with a shop manual. Lots of screws and clips to remove before you get to the tabs and screws holding in the cluster. Plus you have to disconnect the sender lines to the back of the gauge cluster.

You can get a tach for your setup - if it fits and comes with the proper cabling / hardware. You have to run a sending wire from either the coil, ECU, or flywheel sensor - depending on your model year.

Guest psucorolla

all of the lights in my guage cluster aen't burnt out. so i think its just a few burnt bulbs. what i was thinking wiht the tach is the actual stock guage cluster that came with a tach in it. would i be able to wire that up or would it work if u just plugged it into the harness?

Guest shystie

what year is your corolla? mine is a 99 and it only took me 5 min. to change bulbs. I only took out 3 screws (one on the black cover, 2 on each side of the "shell?" of the cluster") you juss pull out the thing and in the back there should be 3 bulbs. Mine are "194", to take them out, you just twist them clockwise, and replace. I'm thinking from the top of my head, so wording isnt all too specific, but its about right.

I'm also trying to find a guage with the stock rpm tach found on the LE and S models. Dunno if it works, but my mechanic said it should, just depends on wiring.

Hope this helps

Topic List