Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Why corolla?

by c2105026, March 20, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

what made you pick a corolla over other models? when you replace your current vehicle (whenever it may be) will you get another corolla, or go for another model?

Mr. Ed

Reliability, ecomony (including gas mileage), comfort, size, handling and price. I'm sure there are more reasons, but these cover a lot.

My wife is still driving a Buick LeSabre. I think we may get her a Camry next time.

Max

Reliability, mainly. I'm also nuts about the mileage I get. And really, I like the way the car looks, except from the back, where it looks very silly sitting up high on those skinny tires! Yes- I will definitely buy another Toyota when the time comes. I've never driven anything else.

When I left Volkswagen after over 20 years of Jetta Diesels, I was truly lost. I did my homework and tried them all. The Corolla S is the best finished, roomiest and has the best power in it's class. I was impressed. Now, after 135,000km in two years, I'm impressed even more. The car is still tight, solid and maintenance free.

I wanted to buy a car that would give me the lowest total cost. I'm planning on keeping my car for 300,000 miles so fuel economy, reliability and initial cost were primary factors. The Corolla DX (5 speed manual) is one of the best values out there.

Other factors: Serviceability and cost of maintenance. Since I do almost all of my own maintenance, I wanted a car that was relatively easy to work on, and parts were relatively available and not pricey.

I guess I'll have to repeat the list already given by others: A solid reputation for reliability, durability, outstanding performance (for a vehicle of this size and power), economy, and ease of maintenance. I also find my 2003 Corolla LE to be a very attractive automobile from any angle -- whenever I see others on the road I am always impressed at how much better-looking they are to other compact automobiles. Moreover, I worked as an automobile salesman for a year (about 10 years ago) and I was always impressed by the fact that used Toyotas received significantly higher trade-in allowances than any other make -- including Honda.

After spending days with my Mazda at mechanic shops, I knew that i needed a trouble free car. Everywhere i read Corolla was the best choice, so me being the cheapskate i am wanted something a little cheaper and saw that the Prizm was everything the Corolla was but cheaper. So i managed to snag a great used one for $1500. It's been over a year and trouble free (and i do 350 miles a week).

I would select a Camry as my next car, i expect the same reliability, but want something bigger since I will get married within the next couple of years.

i kinda fell into corolla ownership........ in mid 2002 my parents and i were looking at getting me into a small car up to 3 y.o., we were just looking at car yards around orange. We found a '98 liberty (too dear, too many k's), a '99 ford laser (bit too old), and finally we located a 2001 holden astra at the right price. When we looked at it the second time, there was a corolla there all covered in s**t. It was on consignment from warren toyota. I liked the colour, features and appearance. But they wanted a decision that day. Thus we let it go for a fortnight then lo and behold it was on the lot for a very reasonable price. By now i had gone back to uni, dad rang me up asking if i wanted it. I said ok, and since then Terry (the car) and i have covered 16K kms.

what i get next depends on how long i keep the corolla for, and that is decided on by how much money i can make in the next few years. I think another corolla could be on the cards, but more likely to get something bigger, like a honda accord euro, mazda 6 or similar. my location is also important - if i am in sydney i will probably get another corolla.

I got my Corolla on accident, and I mean it litteraly. I had a 76 Chevy Camaro that I absolutly loved, but got into a major head on collision with a van and it totalled my car. The first month we had a Mazda Protege for a rental then we had to give it back, then we got a 1996 Corolla that was only 2 years old at the time. It was the best purchase we made, and it rode better then the new rental Protege that we had. I still have it and don't plan on selling it until I die, get into a car accident or both default_tongue

Guest sx460

Reliability

Features (power windows, locks, remote entry, automatic lights, ...)

Looks

GAS MILEAGE!

All around one great car for the price. My opinion: the best choice in it's class.

Guest rated_w

Guest rated_w

appearance, reliability, different than honda civic, gas milage.

Increased legroom in the 03 got me to try Corolla.

Had the Chevy/Toyota Clone in 87, but Chevy ruined it.

In 1976, my mother paid cash for her 1976 Toyota Corolla DX Wagon. In 1993, she gave it to me to replace my 1965 Dodge Dart. I drove it until 1995 (and 152,000mi (243,200km)) and traded it in on an '86 Corolla. I drove it until June 2001, when it was clear that after 164,000 miles (262,400Km), that it was time for a newer car. By then, I knew from the years of faithful service my two Corollas had given me (and the first one had given my mother before serving me), that Corolla was the only way to go.

People cite comfort as one reason to get Corollas-- they didn't get that until the late 80s. My '76 wasn't the most comfortable (it was a wagon but felt more like a pickup), but I did take comfort in the fact that it was incredibly reliable, still got great mileage, and was quite practical. I probably hauled more lumber in that wagon than some people have driven past in the lumber yard.

My '86 was a snazzy little car, and showed the direction Toyota was taking with the Corolla. Decent ride, nice environmental controls, sensible design.

I test-drove the 2001 Corolla LE twice, once in May of 2001, and again in June. I also test-drove a '96 and a '99. The 2001 felt more solid, has more 'zing', and only had 7K. What could I say?

Now, having driven over 33K miles in it (tired of doing the metric conversions), I know with certainty that I made the right decision. This car will easily last another 150K miles, and I may still have it then, unless I just get a really snazzy new job or something, but even then, this car is certainly a keeper.

After 30+ years of owning and driving domestics exclusively- got tired of driving the car one day and fixing the next day. After one of them died - went out and bought a brand new Camry. The money we saved on just fuel costs alone - paid for the monthly payments on the car. Needless to say - 6 years and 180K miles later - totally sold on Toyota - bought a new Corolla and find myslef even more impressed.

Can't beat them for fit and finish - especially three or four years down the road. Drives like it was new - just normal maintenance, OEM parts - aftermarket fluids, zero defects. Any problems I had were more with the dealership than with the car itself.

Also owned Hondas and a few German makes - but Toyota beats them hands down for feel and quality of materials and overall maintenance costs.

Guest Paul Cherubini

This post says it all:

Subject: [Camry] Re: Question about longevity of 1991 Camrys

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:14:38 -0000

Reply-To:Camry@yahoogroups.com

Toyotas are the most reliable cars on the road. We have a 87 celica

with close to 600,000 milies on it, 91 Previa with 270,000, 93 Camry

with 180,000 and a 89 Celica with 270,000 miles (totaled, but was in

fine running condition).

This is compared to the two Volkswagens that we had (91 Fox, 90

Golf)that never made it to 130,000 or the '99 Subaru that needed a new

transmission at 100,000. And dont get me started on the problems that

we have had on the American cars that weve owned.

After driving American, European and Japanese, it is clear that the

Japanese have the cars down to an art, especially Toyota.

Alex

• 200 posts

Gee Paul, anti-american much?

Gee Paul, anti-american much?

Why not rag on him for being anti-European, too? After all, he specifically mentioned European cars in his post...

I dunno about yankee cars but aussie cars are garbage. My friend has a 160,000km ford falcon (aussie 6cyl family car), since '99 he has replaced the head gasket, water pump, thermostat, front discs (twice), front window rubber seals, and the tie-rod ends. all in the space of 90,000 km. my corolla has done 16,000km and all i have had done is general dusting and adjusting (oh, and some bits of trim). My parents holden commodore has done 72,000km and its fine. But, it has many design faults, most of which are just stupid. like the air-con only operates on fresh (bad for keeping out fumes and smells), and the cup holders only hold drink cans, my corolla's holders hold everything from drink cans to large mcdonalds cups.

euro cars are ok to drive, but the non-german ones are bad reliability, germans are about as reliable as Japanese cars in general but you do pay for them. Japs offer a blend of domestic value with imported quality, thats why i'd say they are the best group.

Like most of the other responses to this question, the overall high quality, durability, reliability....and not to mention the low cost of ownership of the Corolla, are the reasons why I chose this model of Toyota. I bought my first Corolla (a 1999 model) in August of 1998, and drove it for 6 years until it died a tragic death due to a driver who ran a red light, and my car was a total writeoff. Up until that time, I commuted long distances to and from work, averaging about 2500 miles/month. At the time of my accident I accumulated 322,000 kilometers (= 197,238 miles). It truly was a very reliable car. My insurance company gave me a very good settlement, which I used towards the purchase of my present 2005 Corolla CE.

Would I get a 3rd Corolla after this one? Yes I would. At the same time I would look at other Toyota vehicles. I'll certainly decide which one when that time comes.

Bikeman982

I first became a Corolla owner when I was looking for a second car for the family and saw the body style and learned of the reputation of Toyota's as well as the good gas mileage. I purchased a used 1991 and although it had high mileage on it, took a chance with it. It has lasted 7 years and was sold last month, mostly because I had purchased several newer ones and could not drive them all. Now my wife drives a 1993, I dive a 1994 and there is another 1994 for my son in the garage, needing an engine change. My daughter drives a 1995. I do most of the work and maintenance on all of them and appreciate the reliability as well as the simplicity of them in comparison to some more expensive cars.

My 1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle, which I have been driving for 10 years, finally presented me with a problem that it didn't make sense to fix back in March. I had driven a rented Corolla when I lived in South Africa for a year, and I liked the fact that it gave me no trouble whatsoever during that time. So, when my dear old Volksie had to go, I did a little research on the Internet and I only looked at great-gas-mileage, high-reliability cars at a good price. There was really only one choice. I've had mine for four months, and so far I've been happy with it, although I don't like the way the clutch engages. I used to be able to get off the mark much quicker at a stop light in my ancient bucket than I can now. I have stalled way too may times in my new car. But I must say that the heat, air conditioning and many other things in my stripped-down CE are for me a huge step up in luxury! I like its s****y rear-end too. Some people think it's ugly, but I think it's one of the more distinctive cars around. (Well, everything looks just about the same when you've been driving a classic bug for years.)

Kathryn

Max

Welcome Kathryn. Hope you get used to the clutch soon and achieve complete happiness with your car. default_smile

Bikeman982

I have not seen any other version Corolla other than American and I am sold on the style of the 7th generation.

I really like the front hood design of the 8th but the rear of the 7th. They should combine those two...

Why Corolla overall? Because the driving instructors our family had used (gen6) Corollas. Makes sense to buy a Corolla for our first car. (For the record my older brother's instructor taught in a Mazda)

Why gen8 Corolla? It's a really low maintenance car when given the right aftermarket touch - Mobil 1, oversized oil filter, and washable air filter (ahem*K&N*ahem), LED lights. Gen7 lost because of two belts that need special equipment to tension properly, and gen9 lost because having to take off some delicate trim piece to get at the plate lights - none are needed on gen8. And with so many gen8s on the road and so many douchebags crashing theirs default_laugh parts are in theory easily available from junkyards. And it looks good.

And except for its ECU it is an easy car to hack and customize. default_biggrin

Topic List