Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Undercarriage

Guest jamiehiegel

I recently bought a 2004 Corolla S and was wondering if any could tell me if the undercarriage of the car already comes treated with rust protection from the factory or if it is something I need to have done. If so, how much?where? Just wanted to know before winter hits (virginia). Thanks.

Dunno, I did rustproofing on it already n gonna, go for a yearly spray in a couple of weeks.

MY OPINION BELOW........... MANY rust proofing PROS DISAGREE...

The rust protection is the worst thing you can do to your car. It coats all metal that should be getting air and should be dry.. If there is an IMPERFECTION or some moisture leaks in, you will never know until it is too late. It never gets the chance to dry up. U won't be able to fix it either because u won't be able to AIR it or work on the metal itself....

My 2001 RAV4 has spent 4 winters in Detroit and all I do is keep the undercarriage sprayed regularly.. when weather permits, I get under the car and examine every square inch and immdiately treat any brown spots IF ANY... Usually it is perfectly clean... You just have to religiously keep your car clean.

I have seen cars which got coated in late 1980s and early 1990s... many are eaten from the inside and outside you could not tell because it was covered..

My 1988 Honda Accord is one example..Coated in 88 but it still got rusted out...

BAD.... BAD ......... BAD idea...

Many times they even spray into drain openers from inside the car or inside the trunk, or inside the door seems traping water coming from inside...

If you want to spend money go ahead,, my 20 years of research on this will never ALLOW myself to ever get my car coated from places like ZIEBART TIDY CAR etc..etc...

Come see my same cars 10 years later and the underbody will be as nice as the day it rolled of the assembly line.......

I bought them a little used and my first purchasing condition was that the car should be without any kind of coating.. I want to see the metal and I want to be able to take care of it myself if I have to.

AGAIN, MY OPINION

Do u spray it every year?

Get it oil sprayed once per year, in the late fall. Have it washed frequently in the winter. If you live in a place where they put salt on the roads, some rust is inevitable.

Topic List