Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Grade

by 4rnrlvr, June 28, 2005

Ok. When I was in Michigan, I forced myself to use 5w30 for my Corolla and RAV but here in Kentucky it is HOT and it bothers me that I do NOT have 10W30 in my cars. This weekend is oil change time and and I will put in 10W30 in both cars from now on. It is TOO HOT to run 5W30 and I know toyota recommends it but I think it is too thin............ I like 10W30 better.

Any negative impacts because of this switch u guys can think of?

Max

Shouldn't be any. I am also in Kentucky and it's much hotter than usual this summer. I've been using 5w30 with no ill effects.

Shouldn't be any problem during the summertime.

Only negative impact might be slightly less fuel economy. 5w30 and 10w30 should have similar characteristics at higher temperatures - but 5w30 is still a little thinner than 10w30.

But it would have to get a lot hotter for most to see issues with thinner oil - unless you happen to get a bad batch of dino oil (most are blended to prevent batch issues). If you run synthetics - you should have no problems.

I change my oil in my vehicles twice a year.

The April change I use Mobil 1 10w30 for the warm months and in Nov I use Mobil 1 5w30 for the colder months in the Corolla and Cavalier.

The Grand Prix calls for 10w30 so I stay with that weight.

I change my oil in my vehicles twice a year.The April change I use Mobil 1 10w30 for the warm months and in Nov I use Mobil 1 5w30 for the colder months in the Corolla and Cavalier.

TWICE A YEAR????!!!!!

Dude... do you like walk everywhere?

I change oils once a month per my driving.

I change my oil in my vehicles twice a year.The April change I use Mobil 1 10w30 for the warm months and in Nov I use Mobil 1 5w30 for the colder months in the Corolla and Cavalier.

TWICE A YEAR????!!!!!

Dude... do you like walk everywhere?

I change oils once a month per my driving.

default_laugh

Mobil 1 and a Wix filter can easily go the 6-7K the Toyota goes in 6 months.

The Grand Prix goes around 4K in 6 months.

The Cavalier even less.

3000 mile oil changes even with today's dino oils are a total waste of $$$ default_smile

I live in Los Angeles, which as you know is pretty warm throughout the whole year. So I use 10W-30 year round.

I'm concern that 5W-30 might have a "higher" burn rate in my engine, as Corolla is known to burn oil a lot......

- uchok00 default_ph34r

thicker oil would be easier to build up sludge in the motor wouldnt it?

I'm thinking about putting 10w-40 in my new used engine i have, do you think that would be ok? what are the difference between 10w-30 and 10w40?

thicker oil would be easier to build up sludge in the motor wouldnt it?

Not the way I DRAIN my babies...(2 hours).... (Don't ask...) TOMORROW is a 3 day weekend and guess what...... IT IS OIL changing time on my VEHicles!!! So excited...

I'm thinking about putting 10w-40 in my new used engine i have, do you think that would be ok? what are the difference between 10w-30 and 10w40?

I used 10w40 on an old beat up 1985 Corolla I bought because it was emptying the crank case but I didn't feel any difference as far as the START UP or CONSUMPTION of oil.

I bouight the car only because the friend was going to send it to junk yard,.. I poured money in it and sold it so it could live longer..... !

I had a friend who put 20W50 in my 1986 Corolla.. I was young then and I let him, thing was like grease, the car had no problem for one day that I drove it but then I decided to change oil again and go back to 10W30... I have always wondered what would have happened if I had kept 20W50 in it.

I think 10W30 is the BEST viscosity for up a 10 year old car atleast.

Topic List