Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest midiman

Hi all - new Corolla LE 2004 owner here. I purchased in early January. Not a real car guy so to speak, but proud of myself to have finally bought my first car all on my own!

Something I've noticed (and have really tried to ignore) is a strong odor or smell that exists any time I have the fan on - be it with A/C, or any temperature. It smells in the car breifly for about 10 minutes max, then disappears until the next time I start the car. The smell is like skunk, or something you'd smell out in the country perhaps...can't quite put my finger on it, but its not gas.

I was watching fox news one morning and could've sworn I saw the newsperson in front of a Corolla 2004 saying "...and this smell is something that dealers are not required to tell new car owners, but you can take your car in and get it fixed..." or something like that.

Any clue if there's a recall or technical bulletin about this?

Thx in advance.

Guest midiman

up - anyone?

Max

If it's a rotten egg smell, you are in good company. There are several threads on this BB about that sulphur odor.

Guest Kristian

Maybe it doesn't go away after 10 minutes; you just get used to it.

This WEBSITE doesn't list any TSBs for the 2004 Corolla.

Of course you could say the same thing of countless other websites... default_wink

Helpful, huh?

• 1,424 posts

There is a TSB for 2003 and 2004 Corollas that have the sulphur exhaust smell. TSB It includes either reprogramming or replacing your PCM, and replacing parts of your exhaust system. It should take care of the sulphur smell.

Anyway, if you have a smell from your A/C, take the car to the dealer. It is likely because of a clogged drain line in your A/C system, or bacteria in the system. They can clean it out and it should not smell.

Dai_Shan

Usually the nasty smell caused by using the AC....(usually smell it on next startup...in the first few minutes)

Is caused by moisture molding/rotting on the condensor. This can be prvented by turning it off 5-10 minutes before stoping. This dry's out the AC system. Can also be fixed by spraying Lysol near intake on window while system is on....replaceing AC filter would be helpful maybe also.

THere is another thread on this topic (this is where i got the lysol tip)

BTW: My 2005 has none of these symtoms (rot or sulpher) and my 2001 saturn has the same AC problem. It is very common.

You might want to try changing the cabin air filter, if your car is so equipped. We've had to change a couple of them in new cars after the first 2-3 months.

Big_Beard

I get more of a musty smell when I turn on my fan or A/C.

I don't know the precise cause of the problem but the problem does seem to go away soemwhat when I change or clean the cabin airfilter. I generally just blow it out with compressed air - being a student I'm too cheap to replace it.

Guest Toyota-san

A clogged AC drain is usually the cause of this. Water has to go somewhere lest it fester and create mold. The drain is a 2 inch piece of plastic sticking out on the firewall, on the passenger side. Run the AC on a humid day and see if water drains from it.

Guest skang01

Along the lines of mold, if you leave your A/C in "recycled air" mode (rather than fresh air), then water will condense along the vents and result in mold.

In general, I leave the air settings on fresh so that I don't have to deal w/ that smell when I turn the A/C on.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)