Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Japanese Made Chevys Vs. American Made Toyotas

by ycr99, June 13, 2005

I was watching Japanese tv. (We have asian channel on our cable) They had an ad for a Chevorlet. So, I was talking on the phone w/my friend and asked her.

Do you think the Japanese make better Chevys than Americans make Toyotas?

I think since it's true that GM and Toyota have some sort of agreement, some Chevys are made in Japan for the Japanese public.

Would you buy a Japanese Chevy over a Toyota? (Japanese or American/Canadian made?)

Or do you prefer your cars (wherever they were manufactured)

If it is indeed true that the Japanese are manufacturing Chevrolets in Japan for their domestic market, my guess is that they are coming out with Toyota-like quality control.

BTW, my father just told me that Toyota is making a deal to raise it's prices in order to give Chevrolet a chance to sell some cars in the U.S. Anyone know anything about that? Personally, I'm not interested in anything Chevrolet has to offer in it's passenger car line. It's full-sized pickup trucks are another story! I'll take a GMC or Chevy pickup or full-sized van over a Ford or Dodge any day!

I wonder if our friends in Australia might know. Because if they're shipping them anywhere I'd think they'd ship them to Australia or maybe Taiwan or S. Korea.

The day I drive a bigger vehicle is the day I get vehicle that can parallel park itself!!!

BTW, my father just told me that Toyota is making a deal to raise it's prices in order to give Chevrolet a chance to sell some cars in the U.S. Anyone know anything about that? !

If I remember correctly - a chairman for Toyota was quoted with saying that they might raise prices to give the market a chance but was later over-rided by Toyota Motor Company.

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=38663

This is true but only a gesture. The percentage is around 2%. Not enough to lure me back to GM.

June 10, 2005

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to raise the prices on most of its models in the United States to help its struggling rivals in Detroit and to prevent trade friction from erupting, according to published reports in Japan

The price hikes of 2 percent to 3 percent will likely start in October.

The automaker will increase delivery costs for sales companies and reduce incentives, which will force the retailers to make up the difference with higher prices.

In 2004, Toyota posted record profits and sold 2.29 million vehicles in North America, an increase of 10.6 percent from the previous year.

But the fortunes of the U.S. automakers went the other way. General Motors Corp. recently announced it would cut 25,000 jobs by 2008 and has expressed its intention to substantially raise its auto prices.

Concerned that Toyota's success in the United States could be viewed as coming at the expense of U.S. automakers, Toyota Chairman Hiroshi Okuda repeatedly said Toyota would need to adjust prices. He also wants to stave off any potential trade friction that could lead to the "Japan bashing" seen in the United States in the 1980s and 1990s, the sources said.

In the U.S. auto industry, vehicle prices usually change when new models are offered. Toyota generally raises prices only as a result of foreign exchange fluctuations or when equipment is added to its cars.

Under the changes in October, the Camry, Toyota's best-selling midsized sedan in the United States, will cost several hundred dollars more than its current price of around $20,000.

Toyota officials said they have no immediate plans to significantly revise auto prices in Japan.

Soooo...which is it, boys? Is Toyota going to raise it's prices, or not? Personally, I don't think they should, if it's just a gesture to help out GM. If GM can't survive on it's own, then perhaps it shouldn't survive at all!

I think at least in the pacific market, Chevy will survive. At least in name, if Chevy does go down. But in reality it would just be Toyota under the Chevy name...

Since the ad in Japan was advertisiing "The new Chevrolet" for its overseas market and domestic market.

• 200 posts

The Silverado ain't worth my damn time.

I saw the new dodge commercial tonight that had the truck in the showroom, that front end is actually more hideous looking than before. theyre all making trucks that look like stepped on dog mess now, its insane.

g'day,

toyota motors australia grab the #1 spot from GM holden since last year and as per an item in MOTOR and Wheels magazine they could maintain the leadership this year 2005. a sad note here in tropical queensland state, corolla was nudge over slightly by mazda 3 but was selling well in other state.

they will discontinue the production of toyata avalon in which they intend to compete against the bigger GM holden commodore and Ford falcon (all rear wheel drive) in which it fails miserably in term of sales. only sold 5k plus a year. they will replace it with Toyota Presara, but still it remains to be seen if this can prevail on the big two.

rey t

Was the Chevy in the tv ad an Aveo or an Optra, if so then it's just a re-badged Dawood, made in S. Korea.

I think GM and Ford are completly out of it in the economy and mid-sized car market. You'd figure they would have learned from their 1974 lesson?

Topic List