Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tire And Wheel Package For My 2000 Corola...

by bluechalice, May 26, 2005

Hi guys...I am planning to upgrade from my factory steel wheels for my Corolla 2000...they came with 14"....I am thinking of getting a 15" alloy wheel and tires for it...cause I will soon be driving from Cali to Missouri...

I checked out discount tires and am planning to get these

Tires: either Yokohama Avid T4($62) or Avid H4s($68)

Wheels: the X6($62) or the X47($68)

I saw they only have the Yokohama Avid H4s(for 15" wheels) in P195/60R-15 87H BW.

The 15" X6 wheel is a 15X6.5 4-100/114 38S

The 15" X47 is a 15X7 4-100/114.36S

I dont know anything about tires but was just wondering if you guys can tell me which wheel will fit the P195/60R tires? or will they both fit? and whats the difference?

After getting these wheels/tires installed....do you recommend an Alignment?

I might get them online or in a store...so was just wondering what to do after the new tires are installed....thanks in advance

yuo can compare how alot of different wheels will look on your corolla at www.tirerack.com if you havent done that already.

I just received an order from TireRack. I went with the 14" alloys. New wheels and Kumo tires were under 400 dollars. The tires are 70000 mile warranty and they are a lot quiter than the Goodyears I had on there. Tire Rack is first class.

Ti-Jean

195/60-15 tires might not be the correct size for your Corolla if it came with 185/65-14 tires originally. Your overall wheel diameter would be 3.2% greater and it would throw off your speedometer/odometer readings by a similar number.

195/55-15 would be the correct +1 size.

As for the need for an alignment, if your other tires wore well and had no visible signs of uneven wear, I wouldn't touch it.

ti-jean,

I had 185/65/14's and changed to 195/60/14's so youre saying that when the speedo says Im going 73mph Im actually going 75mph?

Wow I didnt know the different sizes will throw off the speedometer...thanks...I learn a lot from this forum...

actually since my Corolla was a VE...it came with the factory steel wheels and I think the tires are P175/65 R14 81S

So what do you guys think? which 15inch tire can I use without throwing my speedometer off?

Man I am at a dilemma right now...we are planning to move in about a month or 2....and we are thinking whether we should get new tires and rims and drive half way across the country with that...or just use my old tires(factory tires with about 25000 miles now) and after the long trip dump em and get new ones...but I am worried cause the old steel wheel has a dent on the front right as we hit a pot hole the other day...and one of the tires got a cut on the side wall... default_sad

I just received an order from TireRack. I went with the 14" alloys. New wheels and Kumo tires were under 400 dollars. The tires are 70000 mile warranty and they are a lot quiter than the Goodyears I had on there. Tire Rack is first class.

Which wheel did you buy Gent? default_unsure

blue,

buy a new set before the trip is what I'd do. a trip with a bent wheel on the car will be a sufferable trip believe me Ive done it.

Ti-Jean

ti-jean,

I had 185/65/14's and changed to 195/60/14's so youre saying that when the speedo says Im going 73mph Im actually going 75mph?

In your case, it is the other way around. This size actually reads 1.1% "faster" than stock. 23.5" vs 23.2" for the 195/60-14.

So if your speedo was correct to start with, when you're traveling 60, you're now more likely going around 59.

blue,

http://www.canadiandriver.com/tools/tirecalc/tirecalc.htm

This is a neat tire size calculator.

Your VE may indeed have come with 175/65-14, but higher end 8th gen. models (LE and S) came with 185/65-14.

This is why I wouldn't go taller than 195/55-15, if you buy 15" wheels. Or get 14 inchers and 195/60-14 tires.

But if you're financially tight, why don't you just replace the bent wheel and get a new set of 185/65-14 tires?

You'll save a bundle and your car will handle and ride like those more expensive models.

blue,

if you have bad roads there with potholes and bad bumps then get the 14 inch 60's atleast, if not the 65's but stay away from the 15inch 55's you'll just bend more wheels that way when hitting rough spots.

we have bad roads here and I think I shouldve stayed with 14 inch 65's instead of getting the 60's because Ive hit rough spots that may have bent my wheel so slightly that I [nore my tire shop] can see it but I have vibration I cant get rid of to save my life and its really been a prolonged troubleshooting hassle at the shop.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)